Login

russian armor

New infantry grouping

24 Nov 2014, 10:14 AM

Or they could just make units put 1 meter between themselves when not grouping up behind cover.
24 Nov 2014, 14:25 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Or they could just make units put 1 meter between themselves when not grouping up behind cover.

And you will have units out of cover again.

We just need a spread out command so you can choose when you want your squad on cover or being safe of AoE.
24 Nov 2014, 16:44 PM

We just need a spread out command so you can choose when you want your squad on cover or being safe of AoE.

I think this would be the best solution without having to implement artificial damage capping, but with the CoH2 engine unit formation is really tricky to have it perform just as we would like it to - just look at vehicle pathing.
24 Nov 2014, 17:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Nov 2014, 19:42 PMRupert

In Warcraft 3, the total AOE damage possible by a single source is capped at a certain number.

What I'm suggesting is that AOE damage should be capped per SQUAD.

Example : A Conscript has 6 models of 80 hp each, making it 480 hp. But if the models are clumped, a single 80 damage grenade will wipe it. Lets say we cap the grenade damage to 300. Even if the models are very close, at least 2 would survive. Or maybe 3 would survive with less hp on each model. Calculation can vary, but you get the idea.
If it was a grenadier squad, with effective health of 320, would probably leave a single model with 20 hp by the 80 damage grenade.

Of course this is capped by squad, so if a single shell/grenade hits multiple squads it should deal damage to both squads without being capped.

It might take a step back from realism but with appropriate numbers it shouldn't be that bad, and make the game less prone to RNG-induced stress without touching the anti-blobbing power of AOE weaponry.

Screw realism, what you say actually makes sense.
24 Nov 2014, 18:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2014, 08:37 AMJohnnyB
I got one pio squad whiped by a molotov. And not because they were staying in the fire, but the explosion ignite them all instantly. Just saying, I don't know if it's wrong or not... anyway it's clearly a different game....

Its possible.

There is 0.39% chance for it to happen, but its possible.

Likely you won't ever see it again.
24 Nov 2014, 18:02 PM

24 Nov 2014, 18:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2014, 17:48 PMRMMLz

Screw realism, what you say actually makes sense.

Not only it doesn't make sense, its not even like that in WC3.

AoE there had no target limit, unless you talk chain lightning type of abilities or ressurection abilities.
Damage had no caps of any sort, you stood in AoE, you got hit by it.
24 Nov 2014, 18:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2014, 18:20 PMKatitof

AoE there had no target limit, unless you talk chain lightning type of abilities or ressurection abilities.

Well I have not play WC, but I support anything that reduces insta-wipes. The current grouping is great, but still it feels like AoE weapons are not consistent. Sometimes the insta-wipe, sometimes the reduce the HP of a squad by half without killing a single model. Rifle-grenades are very powerful right now. But I think the mentioned mechanism is worth discussing.
26 Nov 2014, 12:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2014, 18:20 PMKatitof

AOE damage, for instance - Tauren Chieftain's lvl 3 shockwave is capped at 2400 max. So basically there's a cap to how much damage it can do in one shot. AOE skills did X amount of damage to Y area regardless of how many units were in it,and WC3 approach was to limit the damage to approximately 12 units per cast.

With that cleared, of course it should be implemented differently for COH2 because :

a) WC3 is unit based and COH2 is squad-based
b) we don't want to cripple the anti-blobbing aspect of artillery,rockets, and shells in general.

Why? The objective is to reduce single squad insta-wiping, because :

a) squad wipes are not something in control of the players, thus is an highly RNG-limited situation;
b) and yet concept of vet levels in the game means squad wipes affect the game results way too much.
26 Nov 2014, 12:18 PM

Looking at vehicle pathing and retreat but in game ATM I honestly have little faith in Relic's capabilities to make such engine-related amendments.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★