Login

russian armor

Concerns about observer mode

30 Oct 2014, 06:39 AM

Do some research b4 making pointless threads

Oh, you're such a sweetie.
30 Oct 2014, 10:46 AM

Since 8 minutes is a horribly long time in CoH2. 3 minutes would be perfect, it would give you a better feeling that it is actually "live". Since you don't seem to care about how long the delay is, would it have been better for you if Relic just automatically uploaded the replays of each game instead of creating the observer mode? It would probably have saved them a lot of effort when people like you don't care about when a game is taking place.

ehm... you can still set it to 0 in costum for your epic live games during tourneys/whatever... im talking about automatch, where there is many a sad soul who would abuse an obs mode without/with a small delay
but lets do it your way:
"Since you don't seem to care about how big the danger of cheating is, would it have been better for you if Relic just automatically gave your opponent all the information he needed? It would probably have saved them a lot of effort when people like you don't care about how 'cheat-save' a game is."
31 Oct 2014, 17:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Oct 2014, 00:39 AMtuvok

Actually the 8min delay has nothing to do with that...if they went from a game directly to the next you'd experience no idle time. Your idle time is exactly the time it takes them to be matched with an opponent and load the game.

I'm not sure about that.

I found a game in the list of automatch games yesterday but when the game loaded I got a message that the game would start in just under 5 minutes. This would indicate that the game started just over 3 minutes bedore.
31 Oct 2014, 18:35 PM
Coder Red Badge

His point is that with an 8 minute delay, a game will end in the observer mode 8 minutes later than it actually ended. During these 8 minutes, the person you're watching is likely searching for another game. If he finished one game and then instantly got another game that very next second somehow, you could go straight from the previous game to the new game because the 8-minute startup delay will overlap with the 8 minutes that the previous game lasts after it has actually finished.

So if you're marathon-watching a single player's games, any time you're forced to wait after the first one is just time that player had to wait while searching for a game. It's pretty much impossible to avoid that if you're going to have a delay.
31 Oct 2014, 20:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2014, 18:35 PMInverse
His point is that with an 8 minute delay, a game will end in the observer mode 8 minutes later than it actually ended. During these 8 minutes, the person you're watching is likely searching for another game. If he finished one game and then instantly got another game that very next second somehow, you could go straight from the previous game to the new game because the 8-minute startup delay will overlap with the 8 minutes that the previous game lasts after it has actually finished.

So if you're marathon-watching a single player's games, any time you're forced to wait after the first one is just time that player had to wait while searching for a game. It's pretty much impossible to avoid that if you're going to have a delay.

Thanks, I get it now.
1 Nov 2014, 07:13 AM

i think what keeps it from feeling "live" is that afaik theres no way to talk to the other spectators (unless youre in an observer party with them i beleive, havent tried it yet). Also if you start spectating "late" you still watch the game from the beginning. you can fast foward up to the allowed delay.. Though it just kind of reminds you that youre really just watching a replay file.

I'd rather watch the same replay at the same time with other random spectators and be able to talk with them. This would add a social element where we can discuss the game and the tactics and other kind of "live" interactions.
1 Nov 2014, 08:26 AM

Along with the actual players in the game (not spectators) knowing how many people are watching their game, and the feature of spectators to chat with eachother are most likely features worked upon by Relic.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 30
Germany 744
unknown 19
Germany 1
unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L