Login

russian armor

Major pop reduction

Vaz
24 Oct 2014, 23:42 PM

He comes in at 5 pop. Usually does nothing and has a 3 man squad. Down to three pop he should go. He's terrible in combat, his artillery is terrible, only good for a 5 pop retreat point currently.
25 Oct 2014, 00:05 AM

Would you pay 5 pop for a moveable retreat point unit?
Vaz
25 Oct 2014, 01:38 AM

no, most of my games he stands around in front of my base doing absolutely nothing. This is mainly because I hate hate hate the design of the ambulance. It get's one shotted by most things that invade territory and it's REALLY FUCKING SLOW! The Major retreat point is kind of useless if you can't reinforce, so no ambulance makes it worthless. I've seen Romeo bring the major along some times to quickly escape suppression, but I haven't done it. That still wouldn't make him worth more than 3 pop at most.

The thing that mainly breaks your question is the fact that I don't really have a choice not to have him wasting my pop cap, if I want to have some Shermans chasing OKW retreaters back to their medic truck. He's costing me pop that could be put towards more Shermans.
25 Oct 2014, 01:42 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I recommend bringing him along with your large pushes to get him some vet. His vet 3 ability prevents enemies from capturing points he is set up in; imagine how well this works in langres next to your base.
Vaz
25 Oct 2014, 01:55 AM

I did that on kharkov, but then I found something annoying with that (lol). You retreat to that point and reinforce becomes extra micro to move your men somewhere where they actually can reinforce or.......

Fuck Ambulance!

:megusta:
25 Oct 2014, 02:04 AM

I actually aggree that the Major should have a population reduction to 3 pop. Can't see why USF should be further punished for their teching choice by having a persistant MP drain that is only really useable on a couple of maps or if you don't have a doctrine that provides recon.

Barrage = Only good vs. Pak43.
Fake arty = Meh.

Forward retreat points are good but if your opponent has good map awareness and a vehcile and/or in-direct fire unit they can quickly punish it. You can see the Major beacon for the retreat point in the fog of war. I think a population reduction is already fair since USF has the highest MP upkeep of all the factions due to the price of core units. As a results I relocated my Major every 2 mins or so.
Vaz
25 Oct 2014, 02:14 AM

I didn't even know some of those points you made, so now I see he's even more of a problem than I originally thought!

In my original post, I forgot about his recon run. You can see how tortured I am by him, I'm trying to black him out of my existence. His recon run is even worse than the artillery. I swear sometimes the plane doesn't even come and it's like what 50mu? Better spent on p47's.
25 Oct 2014, 10:22 AM
Patrion 28

i love the major. one of my favorite units in the game. i park him back a ways in a corner with the ambulance and shift him around when i need to. reinforcing around him does suck though, particularly since the ambulance can't do it in a contested territory.
25 Oct 2014, 10:51 AM

...You can see the Major beacon for the retreat point in the fog of war...
You can?:huhsign:
25 Oct 2014, 11:14 AM

Would you pay 5 pop for a moveable retreat point unit?

More like 9 pop because the ambulance also takes up 4 pop.

As USF 9% of your max pop is your forward retreat point. It's a manpower upkeep drain that quickly adds up.
25 Oct 2014, 11:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Oct 2014, 10:51 AMsteel

You can also see thru the fog of war if either sovjet is going T1 or T2 right as the game starts.
nee
25 Oct 2014, 11:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Oct 2014, 10:51 AMsteel
Yep, I just saw a replay where I was viweing as the AI, and I watched the area where in that match I set up my Major's retreat point. Popped up and persist in the fog of war.
The antenna model must be using the same nature as barbed wire and tank traps: these are neutral objects but can be seen in the fog of war- I recall in past versions this as not always the case though, ie the USF's tank traps would disappear if you left the area and it returns to fog of war, giving the impression that they were all destroyed or disappeared.
25 Oct 2014, 12:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Oct 2014, 11:46 AMGacul

You can also see thru the fog of war if either sovjet is going T1 or T2 right as the game starts.

This I know.

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Oct 2014, 11:56 AMnee
Yep, I just saw a replay where I was viweing as the AI, and I watched the area where in that match I set up my Major's retreat point. Popped up and persist in the fog of war.
The antenna model must be using the same nature as barbed wire and tank traps: these are neutral objects but can be seen in the fog of war- I recall in past versions this as not always the case though, ie the USF's tank traps would disappear if you left the area and it returns to fog of war, giving the impression that they were all destroyed or disappeared.

Useful. Now I can mortar barrage the place with precision accuracy. :megusta:

No wonder the OKW players always stuka zu fuss my major's location(I move everyone when I hear the rocket). I thought it was a spy telling them.:ph34r:
25 Oct 2014, 12:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Oct 2014, 11:56 AMnee

This makes for a fine Stuka/Pwerfer target. It could be a major issue.
25 Oct 2014, 12:40 PM

I think Reducing the Popcap of the LT, and captain by 1 would also be nice since they got nerfed really hard 2 patches ago

Also i think they should give the option to tech without buying the officer so you can tech while popcapped, and avoid popcap issues easier without suiciding your units
nee
25 Oct 2014, 14:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Oct 2014, 12:26 PMsteel

No wonder the OKW players always stuka zu fuss my major's location(I move everyone when I hear the rocket). I thought it was a spy telling them.:ph34r:
THe spy was the Major. Kill him quick, schell!
25 Oct 2014, 19:24 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Agree with honeynuts, the popcap on all three is too high given that you are forced to purchase these units to tech. Ideally they would all be zero and the units they unlock would have higher popcaps to compensate. Sadly USF just has to live with this bonus upkeep.

At least with the BAR buff in beta one of them is a viable combat squad again.
Vaz
25 Oct 2014, 23:08 PM

I think if you do a compensation to allow teching, you end up at the same place or worse. If pop on a .50 is raised by 1 and you get 2 or 3, then your suffering 3 pop for 1 officer. There has to be some better solution. I don't know the pop on cpt and lt, I figure they should be same as riflemen or maybe less, because they don't get at nades (captain does have a useful supervision though). Major however is no deserving of 5 pop. When i'm 2 pop short of another sherman or to get something else I need, I look at that fool hogging up the pop need, sitting around smoking in front of the base when I said no smoking.
26 Oct 2014, 00:32 AM
Patrion 28

the pop could just be removed. it would give US up to 3 free units but i don't see that making a significant difference.
27 Oct 2014, 07:12 AM

Yes lower his pop cap, along with fix his ablities to make him more useful. His arty strike is garbage and the recon runs dont go were you want them to go half the time. I mean he's a T3 US unit it has to be worth teching to T3.....
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★