Login

russian armor

Forget the pershing, Jumbo 76 is where it's at

23 Oct 2014, 17:08 PM

So you cant win late game if you dont have a "heavy" tank? (Even though a Jumbo would be considered a heavy like the KV-1 is because SAME ROLE)
23 Oct 2014, 17:11 PM

Sherman Jumbo should be in the game since WFA release, by using relic's reich standards, even KT and sturm tiger are non-doctrinal....but for allied unit selection is a total meh
23 Oct 2014, 17:21 PM

I'd rather have Jumbo then pershing.

1) It makes sense because there was much more jumbos then pershings that actively participated in combat

2) We already had pershing

3) It makes sense, because there WAS jumbo in europe at the time where USF and OKW armies are based on and not a single pershing was on the continent.

4) It would introduce new armor dynamic, weak rear armor, potent front armor, still 640hp. Firepower, say as soviet sherman. Thou I'm not sure if it wouldn't overlap with E8.
23 Oct 2014, 17:22 PM
Patrion 14

Affe and theblitz, please behave. If you want to discuss something, take it to PM's but don't derail the thread with pointless arguments.
23 Oct 2014, 17:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Oct 2014, 17:21 PMKatitof
I'd rather have Jumbo then pershing.

1) It makes sense because there was much more jumbos then pershings that actively participated in combat

2) We already had pershing

3) It makes sense, because there WAS jumbo in europe at the time where USF and OKW armies are based on and not a single pershing was on the continent.

1) Only 14 sturmtigers were eve made, 40 ostwinds, 88 jagtigers, 200 pumas, luchs was also incredibly rare.

2) so what? We already had alot of things, no reason why it should't be included .

3) Jagtigers were also not used in battle of the bulge.
23 Oct 2014, 17:36 PM

Jumbo makes much more sense than the Pershiing.
23 Oct 2014, 18:01 PM

Except the Pershing's engine was under powered and was automotively unreliable.

You just described the Jumbo. The Jumbo program wasn't continued because the weight of the armor was too much for the MVSS suspension and slowed it down too much to keep up with the regular Shermans both on the road and in combat.

The Pershing, on the other hand, was a ready-for-prime-time heavyish medium tank. It could do a respectable 26 mph and was fully road worthy. The 90mm M3 was considered the equal of the 88mm L34 (a Super Pershing with 73 caliber version was produced that could penetrate Panther front armor at 2600m but only one was sent to Europe.

And while the pershings didn't see much tank on tank compbat, they did play important roles and were in the front lines. In March of 1944, Pershings of the 9th Armored Divisions played a key role in capturing the Ludendorf Bridge (at Remagen). There was no time to plan an assault or the bridge might be blown so a regular infantry company was sent across. The only defense against all the MG and AA emplacements firing on them was the 90mm of the Pershings that could fire accurately accross the river and destroy each emplacement.
23 Oct 2014, 18:07 PM

Jumbo makes much more sense than the Pershiing.

Either could make sense from a combat perspective, though the Pershing was an actual design that the US invested in and didn't discontinue mid-war.

But they are very different tanks. The Pershing was automotively superior, had the bigger main gun, and I think was better armored everywhere but the front turret glacis.

Really it is up to Relic. In CoH they made a Firefly that did have the more powerful gun than the Sherman, but without the Shermans armor and HP stats. In fact there really was such a vehicle produced in numbers by the British (a 17 pdr "glass cannon") and it was called the Achilles, which was a 17pdr on an M10 chassis. About half the numbers produced as the Firefly but not as famous.

23 Oct 2014, 18:13 PM

Shermans, Shermans everywhere... I'm sick of it. Pershing is not super, wow, gamewinner units (that would be Super Pershing). Pershing is very powerful medium tank or decent heavy tank. It was able to stand 1v1 against Panther and had a chance to penetrate Tiger. I think USF deserve to have a late-game unit which can fight Panthers. Just compare AT options (penetration =/+200)
OST: Panther, Tiger, Tiger Ace, Elephant, Pak43, Pak40.
OKW: Raketen, Jadgpanzer, Panther, Command Panther, King Tiger, Jadgtiger.
SU: SU85, ZiS3, ISU152, IS2, KV2, B4
USF: Jackson, P-47(?).
So... USF have 1 unit with penetration 200 (I dont count Priest) that has to face armor even over 500...
Jumbo won't change anything. Another useless Sherman in late-game with bad penetration.
Yesterday I had 4v4. 1 Jackson and 3 E8. Jadgtiger was almost dead - just 1 hit. No way to flank. I lost 2 E8 and 1 Jackson before 1 shell could penetrate front armor.
Pershing is needed.
23 Oct 2014, 18:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Oct 2014, 18:01 PMAvNY

You just described the Jumbo. The Jumbo program wasn't continued because the weight of the armor was too much for the MVSS suspension and slowed it down too much to keep up with the regular Shermans both on the road and in combat.

We're talking CoH2 and relic here.

Remember that upgraded JT is faster then Ele.
23 Oct 2014, 18:27 PM

4) It would introduce new armor dynamic, weak rear armor, potent front armor, still 640hp.

That just screams RNGesus at me, no me gusta
23 Oct 2014, 18:39 PM

Ah well. Either way, USF will play holding off Axis with masses of riflemen until the CP for the heavy tank comes and spend the 400 reserve fuel on better spent doctrinal tanks, completing Company of Call Ins with heavy tank spam for every faction.
23 Oct 2014, 18:46 PM

Ah well. Either way, USF will play holding off Axis with masses of riflemen until the CP for the heavy tank comes and spend the 400 reserve fuel on better spent doctrinal tanks, completing Company of Call Ins with heavy tank spam for every faction.

Think of all the time they could have saved on art work and unit design for T4 units for all the factions!
23 Oct 2014, 19:06 PM

Ya... USF will not be able to hold off the Axis with masses of Riflemen.

Get BARs, safe from infantry, get rekt by Luchs/Ostwind/P4

Get Bazookas, safe from vehicles (mostly), get rekt by LMG Grens/Obers/Falls/Fusilliers/PGrens etc.

You won't have munis for enough of both to be safe from either

The current meta seems to be causing even Soviet players to stop going straight for call ins for the most part. Not that they're forgoing call in tanks, but they're getting some stock tanks first. T34/76 and T70 are seeing a lot more use these days from what I've seen, especially on streams/casts.
23 Oct 2014, 19:11 PM

Ya... USF will not be able to hold off the Axis with masses of Riflemen.

Get BARs, safe from infantry, get rekt by Luchs/Ostwind/P4

Get Bazookas, safe from vehicles (mostly), get rekt by LMG Grens/Obers/Falls/Fusilliers/PGrens etc.

You won't have munis for enough of both to be safe from either

The current meta seems to be causing even Soviet players to stop going straight for call ins for the most part. Not that they're forgoing call in tanks, but they're getting some stock tanks first. T34/76 and T70 are seeing a lot more use these days from what I've seen, especially on streams/casts.

One medium tank followed by 3 heavy tanks for the later game. Regardless, a heavy tank renders all tier vehicles obsolete and Company of Callins title remains.
23 Oct 2014, 19:26 PM

Jumbo would be great but i would die for like a 17pounder or even 76 mm at gun. I Would like to kill tigers sometimes but its hard with fricken 130 penetration at guns and bazookas trying to pen 300 armor tigers and 320-50 armor panthers

I also wouldn't favor a slow tank unless it did have 800 hp, wouldn't be worth the buy otherwise, even then KV1s and 8s aren't used much anyways. Hopefully a good gun will make it a good unit
23 Oct 2014, 23:27 PM

I really like this idea. Adds a new 'type' of unit rather than just the same but beefier. I think this unit would synchronize really well with the US end game as well.
24 Oct 2014, 00:31 AM

It would introduce new armor dynamic, weak rear armor, potent front armor, still 640hp

Personally I'd say 180 Rear, 380 Front, 800 Health, +160HP at Vet 3.

Shermans, Shermans everywhere... I'm sick of it.

The Sherman appears in the game 3 times:
M4A3 75mm US Army
M4A3E8 US Army
M4A2 76mm USSR

The T-34 chassis appears 3 times, are you sick of it too?
T-34/76
T-34/85
SU-85

What about the KV series? The KV-1, KV-2, and KV-8, also appearing 3 times, yet KV-85's are a frequently requested unit.

Or maybe you're sick of the Panzer IV, which appears 8 times:
Panzer IV Ausf. G
Panzer IV Ausf. F1
Sturmpanzer IV
Flakpanzer IV
Panzer IV Ausf. H
Panzer IV/70 (Jagdpanzer IV)

Jumbo would be great but i would die for like a 17pounder or even 76 mm at gun. I Would like to kill tigers sometimes but its hard with fricken 130 penetration at guns and bazookas trying to pen 300 armor tigers and 320-50 armor panthers

This would also be neat, a British Relief Commander that dispatches British troops (5 men, performance between Volksgrenadier and Grenadier, Bren upgrade?), Daimler or Humbler Armoured Cars, and finally either a Comet tank, Sherman Firefly, or M10 Achilles.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★