Login

russian armor

Forget the pershing, Jumbo 76 is where it's at

23 Oct 2014, 15:31 PM

The USF would be much better served by the Jumbo76 than the Pershing and it would make more sense historically and gameplay wise.

1. The Americans are a SHERMAN army. The M4A3 is the base tank. The Jackson and Wolverine use the Sherman Chassis. The 105 and E8 are Shermans. The whole advantage of the Sherman and the American army in tanks was this standardization. Everything is a Sherman on some level and that greatly greatly simplified logistics. It doesn't matter if 2 armored divisions facing off both have 200 tanks. What matters is how many of those 200 tanks show up to battle and how well they can repair damaged tanks after the battle. American tanks had this huge advantage with rigid standardization.

2. The Pershing is a mediocre run of the mill heavy tank. The 90 was between a tiger and panther gun. Armor? About equal to a panther. Mobility? About equal to a tiger. This thing is generic. The Jumbo's 76mm gun was good enough to fight a tiger but it was loaded full of armor. Panther couldn't get close. It had 102mm of armor sloped at 47 degrees from the vertical, giving it between 150 and 180mm effectively. That means it can stop Panzershreks sometimes. It was made to take a TON of hits and survive.

3. It's slow. Slower than Pershing. It offers a counterbalance to the speed of the American vehicles. As a common tank, this would be terrible fitting to the faction. As a tank for 1 company, making it a rare sight, this is an excellent change of pace.

In short, it has advantages and disadvantages that make it complimentary the USF tank force, while the Pershing would be a run of the mill heavy tank stuck in there "becuz 'murrika needs heavy". It will require micro and positioning to be effective and will offer the USF a badly needed tank for pushing, while still being effective in a tank fight with the 76mm gun.

(Another commander with a 75 Jumbo would be nice too btw but I'm focused on the 76 currently and think it would be a better fit. Jumbo 75 will be pricey. Jumbo 75 and Jackson together will be a fuel nightmare)

23 Oct 2014, 15:34 PM

Before we talk about numbers fielded, remember the Brummbar, Sturm Tiger, King Tiger, raktenwerfer, walking stuka, ostwind, ect.
23 Oct 2014, 15:46 PM
Patrion 14

Seriously why do people rant about this...
23 Oct 2014, 15:47 PM

I'm ranting?
23 Oct 2014, 16:22 PM

Agreed. Give us T34/57's aswell and we have both of my favourite tanks.
23 Oct 2014, 16:24 PM

23 Oct 2014, 16:24 PM

Pershing had more armor than Tiger I or Panther. The gun was also very good.

Jumbo is boring its just a M4 Sherman with more armor nothing else.

It had 102mm of armor sloped at 47 degrees from the vertical,

Ist the same armor like the Pershing.
23 Oct 2014, 16:28 PM

obsolete post
23 Oct 2014, 16:30 PM

Me: "Thought out post that includes a comparison of the Tiger and Panther to the Pershing and includes a reason on why the Jumbo is a better fit because its a Sherman"

You: "Durr Pershing like this Jumbo boring becuz Sherman"

Way to contribute absolutely nothing good sir!

You : "Oh dont add Pershing better add the much more boring and weaker Jumbo". USA ARE NOT ALLWOED TO HAVE AT LEAST 1 GOOD TANK".

Jumbo is shit compared to the Pershing. Pershing is better at everything.
23 Oct 2014, 16:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Oct 2014, 16:30 PMAffe

You : "Oh dont add Pershing better add the much more boring and weaker Jumbo". USA ARE NOT ALLWOED TO HAVE AT LEAST 1 GOOD TANK".

Uh, where did I say USA are not allowed to have 1 good tank?

Edit: nvm I should be ignoring him. He's making an emotional argument
23 Oct 2014, 16:36 PM

Uh, where did I say USA are not allowed to have 1 good tank?

Edit: nvm I should be ignoring him. He's making an emotional argument

Here:
Forget the pershing, Jumbo 76 is where it's at

USA Need to have the weaker one because the faction is designed to have shitty tanks.
23 Oct 2014, 16:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Oct 2014, 16:36 PMAffe

Here:
USA Need to have the weaker one because the faction is designed to have shitty tanks.

In my opinion, which is obvious if you had actually read my post, the Jumbo is neither worse nor better than the Pershing, just different. If I am incorrect, post some specs to show me I'm wrong. Til then, have fun with the strawman argument

moar sherman reliq

Affe, that is complete OPINION. Panther is a medium tank. Is that tank shitty? So because the Jumbo is a medium tank its going to be shitty? And adding no micro pawning heavy tanks is a good way to fix USF, even though it doesnt fit USF at all? Pershing performance is completely questionable.
23 Oct 2014, 16:42 PM

Personally I think the Jumbo, 75 or 76, is a heavy tank anyway
23 Oct 2014, 16:44 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Oct 2014, 16:30 PMAffe

Except the Pershing's engine was under powered and was automotively unreliable.

The USF should rely on tanks descended from the proud and noble M2 light tank (i.e. Stuarts, Lees, and Shermans) not some torsion barred upstart.
23 Oct 2014, 16:49 PM

In my opinion, which is obvious if you had actually read my post, the Jumbo is neither worse nor better than the Pershing, just different. If I am incorrect, post some specs to show me I'm wrong. Til then, have fun with the strawman argument

Perhing has a much better main gun, he is faster he has the same front armor and better side and rear armor than Jumbo.

Jumbo has only disadvantages. Jumbo is weaker at everything. Its a downgrade compared to the much better and modern Pershing.
23 Oct 2014, 16:50 PM

Can a mod please clean this thread up a little?

Anyways, Retaliation, yeah that's the idea: all tanks being well standardized. I think the Jumbo 76 would perform very adequately compared to the tiger anyway. It has heavier armor than the tiger and a lighter but still competitive gun. The panther would be more problematic for the Jumbo 76 but I think the Jumbo would be fine. Giving the USF a competitive late game heavy tank is the goal here. The goal is not to give the USF a be all, end all heavy tank.

The jury rigged, sherman derived Jumbo seems to me to be the best compromise for the USF being designed around not having heavy tanks yet still needing one.

Affe, the Pershing would be a lot more expensive than the Jumbo since it can outfight anything except a KT/JT. I'd rather have a Jumbo 76 that can do its job well enough and come in at a reasonable time than bank for a super late game M26
23 Oct 2014, 16:54 PM

Affe, the Pershing would be a lot more expensive than the Jumbo since it can outfight anything except a KT/JT. I'd rather have a Jumbo 76 that can do its job well enough and come in at a reasonable time than bank for a super late game M26

Ok is see USA is not allowed to have a late game.
23 Oct 2014, 16:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Oct 2014, 16:54 PMAffe

Ok is see USA is not allowed to have a late game.

Wrong good sir. USF is supposed to have the weakest yet still viable late game, just like OKW is supposed to have a viable but the weakest early game. May I ask your age and intoxication level?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★