Login

russian armor

Thoughts on the Blob, Hard/soft counters

20 Oct 2014, 12:16 PM

It is apparent that in the current build of Coh2 that the blob can be used to win almost any engagement not only from the most potent USF but the Osther as well. The soft and easiest counter to this is obviously the heavy machine guns that the factions get, however, the inconsistency of the MG42 and MG34 have become annoying for myself and others i have asked. Correct me if im wrong, but as the game currently stands, the Maxim does more damage at its max range than the MG42? How can a weapon developed in the late 1800's/early 1900's be more powerful than the pinnacle of Machine guns from the ww2 era?
The Problem in my eyes seem to lye in the fact that Osther are very limited in their arty. The 10.5 cm is not very good compared to say the Priest or, something i have been seeing a lot since last patch, B4 of the soviets. I have experimented with the Brummbar from Tier 4 Osther, however, it is still, in my eyes, difficult to stop a rifle company into EZ8's with a lot of fuel being spent on tier 4, while his/her vet riflemen smoke your MG's.
Please, if you disagree with something i have written, post your opinion and remember, Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. :D
20 Oct 2014, 12:30 PM

MG34 supress at third volley, its just pure bullshit, I try to not depend on it XD
20 Oct 2014, 12:31 PM

Although your title doesn't specify, you seem to be on the topic of ostheer so I am slightly worried as to why you left out the primary and most obvious answer to your question which is the panzerwerfer? It may not be the most powerful tool for this but it does its job.

10.5cm and even the priest are not good tools for blob control since blobs can move swiftly, especially if under the control of a good player. Where-as the panzerwerfer if close to your lines, can fire-and-land barrages extremely quickly and can make a US player lose alot of infantry or panic retreat.
20 Oct 2014, 13:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Oct 2014, 12:31 PMpugzii

10.5cm and even the priest are not good tools for blob control since blobs can move swiftly, especially if under the control of a good player. Where-as the panzerwerfer if close to your lines, can fire-and-land barrages extremely quickly and can make a US player lose alot of infantry or panic retreat.

Yes the panzerwerfer is a hard counter, but if you invest 2 at guns, then go T4 into panzerwerfer, its very difficult to manage even a half good USF player with EZ8's and scotts
20 Oct 2014, 14:23 PM

Just before WFA, in 1's, blobs weren't such an issue I thought at least, if an Ostheer player got an LMG blob, that was an issue, but soviets had strats and counters.

The new factions imo have an issue with blobbing, where it is promoted by their design, which is a real shame that I hope is addressed.
21 Oct 2014, 16:40 PM

MG34 supress at third volley, its just pure bullshit, I try to not depend on it XD

For 210 manpower price it can be even worse. Just look at the protruppen :P
21 Oct 2014, 18:16 PM

Incendiary rounds from mg42 or 34 works often quite well for me. You just have to know in advance where the blob is coming from so you can (re)position your mg and activate the ability right before they are in range.
21 Oct 2014, 18:22 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Stuka if does not get stopped by a tree
21 Oct 2014, 18:25 PM

Just about everything about the HMG42 is better than the Maxim in real life. However, they are both priced at 240mp and as such need to be able to compete with each other in-game. The HMG42 is better at suppression multiple squads at once, while the maxim is better at suppressing and damaging a single squad at a time.

Vaz
21 Oct 2014, 18:35 PM

Well I'm conflicted on the issue and part of it is that I don't know how the programming is working for hmg suppression. The axis MG's have the advantage when it comes to field control. They can suppress large areas and 2 seperated squads at a time. I guess things get harder with a blob and sometimes the blob wins.

Gunner health is 1 concern, as in keep him healed.

In coh1 Relic implemented a system that would scale up suppression based on the number of objects within the suppression field. At least I think they did. It didn't work that amzingly vs brit blobs though. The general idea is that 1 squad would not get instantly suppressed upon finding an mg at game start, but a multiple squads would be suppressed faster and faster respective to their numbers. If it's already like that, then the numbers can be tuned for greater effect. The game should be punishing a lot of things that are being rewarded and blobs on any faction should be discouraged. Making lots of soldiers is fine, but selecting them all and attack moving without care of cover should not be effective. That goes against the games fundamental principles of cover.
21 Oct 2014, 19:12 PM

Let's ask Romeo what works against him!

:D
21 Oct 2014, 19:20 PM

Relic really should've just put in the SG-43 instead of the Maxim.
21 Oct 2014, 19:30 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Oct 2014, 19:12 PMdek0y
Let's ask Romeo what works against him!:D

Nothing can stop the blob! Except a bigger blobbier blob. Or like a stuka or something.
21 Oct 2014, 21:21 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Oct 2014, 12:16 PMDoongie
How can a weapon developed in the late 1800's/early 1900's be more powerful than the pinnacle of Machine guns from the ww2 era?

No one has ever beaten the Maxim and the Vickers for sustained, reliable firepower.

Given ammo, water (Snow, Urine, etc) and spare barrels and they will fire more or less for ever.

Subsequent improvement to MGs has been to make them lighter, more portable and boost cyclic rate; but if anything they are less powerful

If you want me to hold a fortified position, I will take a Maxim or a Vickers

If I have to carry the damn thing around, then it's an MG 42
21 Oct 2014, 22:12 PM
Donator 11

No one has ever beaten the Maxim and the Vickers for sustained, reliable firepower.

Given ammo, water (Snow, Urine, etc) and spare barrels and they will fire more or less for ever.

Subsequent improvement to MGs has been to make them lighter, more portable and boost cyclic rate; but if anything they are less powerful

True, germans thought the same way and that's why they used the maxims that were produced before intorducing MG34 on static fortified positions (not those that had to be able to be moved to the second line in hurry). So why allies mostly faced mg42's, even in the heavy bunkers of normandy? Just because it was the cheapest of the three and germans wanted maximum firepower at one moment, knowing the enemy usually comes in waves, giving some time to change the barrel.
22 Oct 2014, 13:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Oct 2014, 19:30 PMRomeo

Nothing can stop the blob! Except a bigger blobbier blob. Or like a stuka or something.

Thus game mechanics fail
22 Oct 2014, 14:08 PM

Makes you wonder then why the MG34/42 takes forever to set up and pack up and Maxim goes nearly instantly in the game.
22 Oct 2014, 16:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Oct 2014, 14:08 PMgokkel

Makes you wonder then why the MG34/42 takes forever to set up and pack up and Maxim goes nearly instantly in the game.

Probably because its easier to drop the wheel cart and hit the ground behind it then it is to set up tripod.
22 Oct 2014, 16:30 PM

its because blobs are usually armed with massive long ranged dps. its not really about the suppression or the effectiveness of hmg.

the thing is blobs more or less are going to kill the gunner on the 1st burst of fire within the 1st burst of fire. so unless hmg are going to suppress in the 1st burst, blobs are going to be superior. and honest, i doubt anyone sane wants hmg to have that kind of suppressive capabilities.

so the solution is rather simple, tone down long range firepower on infantry weapons. but will german players be willing to give up their lmg superiority? i fucking doubt so.
22 Oct 2014, 17:03 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Oct 2014, 14:08 PMgokkel

It does do that yes
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment