Login

russian armor

Let's talk about the P-47 anti-tank Rocket Strike

PAGES (7)down
20 Oct 2014, 20:34 PM

Build anti air if you don't like P-47's
20 Oct 2014, 20:52 PM

This ability is one of those "all or nothing" deals - if the enemy doesn't have anti-air available, then it completely destroys him. If he has even one flak gun available, there's 240 munitions down the toilet.
20 Oct 2014, 21:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Oct 2014, 14:24 PMHati
Its very random in my experience. Sometimes it deals heavy damage to enemy tanks, sometimes it misses completely, sometimes planes get shot down immediately. I think its quite broken in the current state, half time it does nothing, half time it win you games.

I agree with this, and I think it's a key problem with giving OKW AA guns as bunkers. It makes all air abilities complete guesses. Maybe they'll crash immediately, or maybe they'll loiter the entire duration. It's not fun gameplay when abilities become complete coin flips. Especially 240 munition abilities.
20 Oct 2014, 21:37 PM

As has already been said in this thread, the P47 might be very powerful, but the remaining US AT is rather garbage. This isn't an ideal situation, but it is better than all US AT being garbage.
20 Oct 2014, 21:40 PM

P-47 is fine.
20 Oct 2014, 21:46 PM

P-47 is not hard to deal with. Blitz out of the area, use smoke or simply just move. Unless your engine is damaged or your tank is already low (in which case why is out in the open to begin with) you should not lose any tanks to the P-47.
20 Oct 2014, 21:51 PM

On certain maps it is totally OP. Maps like Semoiski are unplayable for the German player as almost the whole map is locked down by the P-47. I think the duration of the ability should be reduced. It totally locks any movement of vehicles for what feels to be an eternity on the receiving end.
20 Oct 2014, 21:53 PM

GUYS YOU CAN USE THE OKW FLAK HALFTRACK (NOT THE SCWHERER HQ) TO SHOOT DOWN THE P47S REALLY EFFECTIVELY!

not sure how effective the ostwind for wehr is though.
20 Oct 2014, 22:09 PM

Its very much so overpeforming, and like many abilities in the game requires no skill to use but can completely win you the game - just another example of horrific game design.
20 Oct 2014, 22:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Oct 2014, 22:09 PMHS King
Its very much so overpeforming, and like many abilities in the game requires no skill to use but can completely win you the game - just another example of horrific game design.

Just like the super heavy armor its being used against after forcing USF player to pick the doctrine for every game above 1v1.

You want AT nerfed? Start with JT.
20 Oct 2014, 23:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Oct 2014, 12:57 PMpugzii
It's as OP as the units its used to kill.

Lol, pretty much this.

It's USF's best bid to counter late game clumps of Jagdtiger/Tiger/Panther with Walking Stuka hiding behind it.

I bet late-war Germans, with their lack of air cover, also thought P47s were OP.

IMO it's fine in the current meta and should only be changed (slightly) if OKW is hit hard with the nerf bat and USF anti-armor improved.
21 Oct 2014, 00:16 AM

Lol, pretty much this.

It's USF's best bid to counter late game clumps of Jagdtiger/Tiger/Panther with Walking Stuka hiding behind it.

I bet late-war Germans, with their lack of air cover, also thought P47s were OP.

IMO it's fine in the current meta and should only be changed (slightly) if OKW is hit hard with the nerf bat and USF anti-armor improved.

Not necessarily, the Late War Germans still had a great many defensive emplacements, like FlaK towers and FlaK defenses just about everywhere. FlaK hit aircraft a lot and air losses were pretty heavy.
21 Oct 2014, 03:09 AM

"Allies have a pretty expensive ability that's not total shit and can be shot down. Pls nerf"
21 Oct 2014, 03:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Oct 2014, 20:34 PMStorm
Build anti air if you don't like P-47's

This is a simple answer for an issue that can far more complex.

Firstly, you are completely ignoring map design, pathing and input delay. Any other callin ability, once you see smoke you can hit retreat, or in the case of atg issue move order and you are relatively safe. If you are slow to react, then you may suffer some casualties or loose entire squads.

The problem with P-47 is mainly map design and tanks propensity to go retard and start doing 360 and getting stuck on objects. Further more depending on where you call the strike it can be possible to simply be trapped with nowhere to go. 6 Months ago a similar debate was had about sov skill plane just obliterating infantry, this is no different and its amazing that relic made same mistake...

Secondly, as ost AA can often be a roll of the dice, shooting down planes immediately or completely failing the entire game. This is why debating and balancing something like this is virtually impossible. RNG is skewing balance..

P-47 should not be left in its current state simply because USA armour needs adjustment. That is just more bad design.

21 Oct 2014, 04:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Oct 2014, 12:57 PMpugzii
It's as OP as the units its used to kill.

made my day
21 Oct 2014, 06:37 AM

I feel like its kind of a given that the ability is amazing and likely OP, but since USF is so bad and every other faction has their OP stuff its OK USF has this right now, mabye re-evaluate if if USF is ever seen in competitive play and is winning left and right b.c of p47s but for now leave as is

i also don't think counters have been thoroughly explored. Since you don't choose targets i think the flak track or 222 can shoot them down and draw rockets away from heavy tanks but havn't tested it much
21 Oct 2014, 07:08 AM

I feel like its kind of a given that the ability is amazing and likely OP, but since USF is so bad and every other faction has their OP stuff its OK USF has this right now, mabye re-evaluate if if USF is ever seen in competitive play and is winning left and right b.c of p47s but for now leave as is

i also don't think counters have been thoroughly explored. Since you don't choose targets i think the flak track or 222 can shoot them down and draw rockets away from heavy tanks but havn't tested it much

This sounds like relic logic to me.

Seriously though, this ability is only ok in the hands of idiots or on an open map. I have played vs this 3 times today each time with different outcomes...

First two times i was able to escape with little damage as i move the moment smoke was dropped. Both times i had vet2 222 and it didn't do shit. At both times my opponents timing was poor, ie he just popped it probably because he could. Had they timed it and pushed with shermans after the strike then i would have lost everything because my defensive line has been disrupted by p4s running for their lives. One opponent rage quit because his view was it was a waste of munitions and broken. But he popped ability after he attacked and lost his shermans, instead of before.

The third time was on semosky. This time it was effective although i doubt it was part of his masterplan. He pushes the fuel with large force, i respond with tiger and p4. He pops P-47 and i have to retreat to corner essentially forced from game.

This is the OP side of this ability. Use it close to base or in a position where opponent cannot escape and your almost assured of success.

Irrespective of faction balance, no ability should be able to destroy so many tanks, effectively winning the game just by saving enough munitions..

21 Oct 2014, 07:19 AM
Donator 22

My only issue with it when playing as Axis is the duration of the damn thing. It lingers up there for a LONG time. Its not so much the damage it does as the amount of time your tanks have to stay out of the area of effect while the allies cap everything.

GUYS YOU CAN USE THE OKW FLAK HALFTRACK (NOT THE SCWHERER HQ) TO SHOOT DOWN THE P47S REALLY EFFECTIVELY!

Did not know this. Thanks!
21 Oct 2014, 07:40 AM

Some of you said that you can just back-up or run with your tanks and be safe. That is not true. The plane has a huge sight range, it can detect targets by its own and attack them, so if it detects your tank in its flight path will shoot at it. Also even if it fires to vehicles it can still rape your infantry if it's next to the attacked vehicle. Having in view all these, P-47 air strike it's still fine, being a normal counter to heavy german armor. Accurate from both balance and history view. Germans had best havies. NOT OP. Just BEST heavies and this is accurately reflected in the game. USF had the most effective air force and this is accurately reflected in this ability which should be found in at list 2 USF doctrines, not just one.
21 Oct 2014, 08:33 AM

DIS

That's why I said it is overperforming but VERY counterable.

Get a Flak 251, P47 disappear in 3 seconds. <444>_<444>
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight