Login

russian armor

Underperforming pieces of artillery

19 Oct 2014, 12:10 PM

uhhh the usf mortar ht is actually kinda strong since it has white phos. that ability is actually op as hell. the autobarrage is pretty lackluster but i would still get it purely for the white phos.

also the panzerwerfer is pretty decent too, you just have to drive in closer to the target to get an extremely tight barrage AoE. use line of sight blockers etc.

I disaggree on both first if i am not mistaken white phoshorus is a vet 1 ability which means you have to9 get there first and you already admitted that the barrage is lackluster ,not to say anything about its normal attack which is abyssmal , on top of that it costs a whooping 40 fuel , in a faction where you need to get to the major tier as soon as possible and the efficiency and timing of the m20 utility can decide whole games . You see then that from a strategy standpoint the mortar ht is a mistake no matter the circumstances.

On the pwerfer first of all you fail to see the bigger picture , namely that it doesnt pack enough punch to equalise the effect of a kv8 , if you go t4 you usually want to get a panther very soon for obvious reasons , second if you drive the werfer that close to enemy lines you risk it being killed by an atg you didnt know was there or a mine or some other random event which is precisely what you want to avoid with the pwerfer , otherwise you could have used the much cheaper and by that time possibly vetted axis mortar ht tah actually performs reliably
19 Oct 2014, 12:11 PM

So you hate the only thing that makes soviet arty viable?

It makes it a bit too viable.

What does everyone want arty for anyway? It's not like there is a problem with Sim-City-ing like in coh1. Do people just want it to be even easier to kill full squads from the safety of their base? yeah, let's just play Howitzers vs Stukas, yay fun.

Soviet heavy arty inaccurate at times but if your opponent doesn't have bombing run, you'll have the arty piece all damn game. They don't even cost fuel.

Also remember that Soviets have a monopoly on heavy arty. US has the Priest which isn't amazing but pretty good. Ostheer has a laughable arty piece. BUT LESS ARTY IS A GOOD THING I don't want to see CoH2 turn into an arty fest. Use your soldjas!
19 Oct 2014, 12:13 PM
Patrion 14

So you hate the only thing that makes soviet arty viable?

Maybe make the arty better, but remove the precision shot. I just think its kinda weird such powerful stuff (B4) has precision shot. Not talking about making the B4 better, but the ML and Ostheer arty.
19 Oct 2014, 12:37 PM

It makes it a bit too viable.

What does everyone want arty for anyway? It's not like there is a problem with SIm City-ing like in coh1. Do people just want a really easy way to kill full squads from the safety of their base?

Well, artillery was a HUGE part of WW2 combat. It's way under-represented in this game as it is.

From a game-play perspective, you underestimate the level of sim-citying you can do in this game. Especially on the axis side. Not to mention that the B4 is currently the only counter to heavy tank destroyers.

On the subject of buffing arty:
The B4 is fine, the ML-20 is also fine in my opinion.
The Ostheer 10.5cm needs help. I would give it more damage so it can actually hurt tanks when shots land near them. And I would change the vet ability to be more on the same level of usefulness as precision strike.
My suggestion:

Vet 1 ability "artillery over-watch"

Cost: 60 munitions

When you select artillery over-watch, you can target a spot on the map roughly the same size as the target size of the OKW Zoning Artillery ability. The 10.5cm will auto-fire on enemy targets inside the area withing LoS until they are destroyed. There is no cooldown and the ability remains active until the 10.5cm is given different orders.

These changes will make the 10.5 cam more potent with the regular barrage and with Vet1 it will make the 10.5cm a proper area-denial weapon with no equal.
19 Oct 2014, 13:35 PM

B4 underperforming? The dead Elefant/Tiger/KingTiger/JagdTiger/enemy infantry force says the opposite.
19 Oct 2014, 13:59 PM

I just played a game with the 10.5 and I either got lucky or it's just "underperforming" vs Tanks, ended up with 42 kills. Great vs a FHQ/T2 Spammer ;)
19 Oct 2014, 14:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Oct 2014, 11:54 AMStafkeh
The thing i hate most about the artillery is how you get a precision shot when it has vet1... They should remove this...

Sure, if we nerf the OKW Stukas barrage to have the same spread as the Panzerwerfer. Removing this would make the B4 utterly useless, even in larger game modes, along with that whole commander.

Perhaps you're right, maybe we should narrow down the Soviet meta to ISU only.
19 Oct 2014, 14:06 PM

Sure, if we nerf the OKW Stukas barrage to have the same spread as the Panzerwerfer. Removing this would make the B4 utterly useless, even in larger game modes, along with that whole commander.

Perhaps you're right, maybe we should narrow down the Soviet meta to ISU only.

Yes please, ISU is by far the most fun unit to play againts.
21 Oct 2014, 22:30 PM

The Priest is actually pretty good. The problem is that it's a huge fuel sink, so you can't really have tanks/TDs AND arty. You have to choose. And the tradeoff -- forgoing armor -- is usually not worth it unless you're already dominating or you're playing a very campy enemy.

Might be better once Walking Stuka gets nerfed and 57mm survivability goes up in relation. But if you need AT with Walking Stuka on the field, you're forced to go Jackson, which obviously needs fuel.

Also, could just be me, but it seems like the accuracy bonus you get for having LoS with howitzers isn't nearly as great as it was in CoH1.

B4 is a huge gamble IME because it only fires once and has the possibility of completely missing everything you are aiming at.

Walking Stuka is far and away the most OP arty in the game due to its precision. Basically there is no RNG. If you miss, it's your fault, and it blows to smithereens anything in its blast radius.
23 Oct 2014, 02:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Oct 2014, 12:10 PMkafrion

I disaggree on both first if i am not mistaken white phoshorus is a vet 1 ability which means you have to9 get there first and you already admitted that the barrage is lackluster ,not to say anything about its normal attack which is abyssmal , on top of that it costs a whooping 40 fuel , in a faction where you need to get to the major tier as soon as possible and the efficiency and timing of the m20 utility can decide whole games . You see then that from a strategy standpoint the mortar ht is a mistake no matter the circumstances.

On the pwerfer first of all you fail to see the bigger picture , namely that it doesnt pack enough punch to equalise the effect of a kv8 , if you go t4 you usually want to get a panther very soon for obvious reasons , second if you drive the werfer that close to enemy lines you risk it being killed by an atg you didnt know was there or a mine or some other random event which is precisely what you want to avoid with the pwerfer , otherwise you could have used the much cheaper and by that time possibly vetted axis mortar ht tah actually performs reliably

you are mistaken, as the white phos does not require vet. the timed charge barrage requires vet.

equalise the effect of a kv8? what does that even mean? the primary use of the werfer is to clear out late game defensive positions such as machineguns and anti tank guns. a werfer can quickly clear an area where as a mortar you have to wait quite awhile, and in the late game where VPs matter the ability to clear the area for infantry and tanks is quite useful. of course, use common sense on how close you can get your panzerwerfer, dont run it into the open with no forward units to spot for threats, thats just bad play.

the mortar ht is quite reliable and comes out early, and has access to the incid barrage, but it is doctrinal.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★