Login

russian armor

Pathetic Anti-Aircraft Capability.

• This thread is locked
PAGES (3)down
15 Oct 2014, 00:00 AM

Brought over from another thread where the following was slightly off topic.

Let's talk about how AA Guns from the OKW can't seem to bring down a single loitering aircraft.

It's kinda pathetic when called in recon planes can complete their full recon loiter and fly away without a scratch, despite being shot at by tons of 2cm FlaK autocannons, or the big FlaK cannon on the Schwerer Panzer HQ for the OKQ.

I've even went out of my way to build extra FlaK defenses to discourage aircraft only to have the enemies aircraft completely ignore it.

For instance 4v4 on Hill-331 - My team secures the left side of the map. I bunker down with HQ trucks, barricades, MG bunkers, sandbags, mines, and tank traps. (Fortifications Doctrine)

I set up three extra FlaK cannon emplacements, my teammate places two of his own, and we have 2x Schwerer Panzer HQ's with the big FlaK gun there.

The Allies proceed to call aircraft run after aircraft run that complete their entire loiters despite being shot at by 7-AA guns, further more the Soviets call in precision bombing strikes, artillery strikes, and more because our anti air defenses apparently aren't thick enough to destroy a plane that constantly circles over the area getting shot at.

The AA Defenses were spread over most of the left side, leaving zero missed opportunities to keep steady anti-air FlaK damage on the aircraft.

Considering the significant manpower, 10-fuel, + popcap investment in these defenses. I found myself thoroughly disappointed in their performance. (Or lack thereof)
15 Oct 2014, 00:16 AM

The issue is that they get them as base defense guns, so if you improved the effectiveness of them, OKW would have a free "negate all enemy aircraft" property on small-medium maps.

I think they should replace the base defences with Ostheer bunkers, then boost the AA capabilities of the 2cm flak defences.
15 Oct 2014, 00:22 AM

Its funny because I regularly get my air recons shot and air strikes shot down by okw base defenses in the first pass!
15 Oct 2014, 00:28 AM

Its funny because I regularly get my air recons shot and air strikes shot down by okw base defenses in the first pass!

Yeah, it's all RNG, you can have a recon plane fly over the OKW base for it's full run, or it can get shot down by the first hit from a flank truck. I remember hearing awhile back that airplanes don't die when they run out of health, but a 5% chance to be killed from any hit. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of that statement.
15 Oct 2014, 01:01 AM

use the flak halftrack. usually kills planes in one or two bursts. extremely effective counter to the p47 strafe
15 Oct 2014, 01:09 AM

I don't see why just building a tech building should negate all of your opponent's air call-ins... it's not like the Flak truck isn't already effective against infantry and light vehicles.
15 Oct 2014, 01:23 AM

Permanently Banned
WHAT!?!?! OKW flak KILLS EVERYTHING!!!!
Vaz
15 Oct 2014, 01:52 AM

I'm seriously tired of that truck. It's a 37mm cannon it uses right? Yet it goes through medium armor frequently. It is not only effective at kiling infantry but suppresses them too and it outranges them! It's just too effective against all targets for what you pay for it. It should at least be changed to not penetrate frontal medium armor (yes even the jackson).

As for shitty okw air defense. Yes it should be shitty, because you pay 0 for those defenses. There is also not much of a premium price on that tech building either, if you compare it to other good AA in the game. All the others have significant costs.

The mobile flak truck is the only thing that should be knocking out low flying planes for okw (non-doctrinal). The defensive position you can place should have a better ability than the base defenses though, but I doubt it's that way already(because extra work).
15 Oct 2014, 02:10 AM

I just hate the Flak Truck because you can't do anything to it unless you blind-fire or have a medium tank or stronger, because it can see and shoot recon units at their max range, making you unable to spot it for AT gun snipes.
Vaz
15 Oct 2014, 02:14 AM

It cannot see all recon units
15 Oct 2014, 02:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Oct 2014, 02:14 AMVaz
It cannot see all recon units

Which ones can spot it without being shot?
15 Oct 2014, 03:27 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

OKW have more AA then anybody, on units or base structures that serve other functions and are a part of the normal process of a game (Be it base flaks, or the flak truck base).

Flake base defenses, Flak HT, Flak base, and even call-in Ostwind. (One is free and one is part of the orbital defense cannon tech)

Soviets have one anti-aircraft vehicle (t3 only, 120muni upgrade), and no basic unit with a pintle MG.

Americans have the AA-HT, and pintle MGs on shermans.

Wehrmacht has Ostwind and pintle MGs.

They have more AA than any faction, and it is basically a bonus of being OKW. How can any critical and unbiased observer reasonably deduce that OKW is lacking in the AA department?
15 Oct 2014, 03:37 AM

Permanently Banned
OKW T4 eats P47s for breakfast

OKW base turrets prevent any sort of light armor base rush and are immune to being flanked in the same way Ostheer Bunkers can be flanked

Those two things alone should be sufficient, if you want to add in Luchs (which I think can shoot at aircraft but not entirely sure) and Panthers turret MGs, you should be good to go.

Finally I think you're basing your decisions on the effectiveness of OKW anti-air capability from the outcome of one (team) game, so please consider RNG. If I call in P47s anywhere on the same half of the map as the OKW T4, 90% of the time the tank just drives towards the T4, gets strafed, and then at least one P47 goes down, on it's first strafe.

Conclusion: see signature.
15 Oct 2014, 03:42 AM

lol @ this thread.

Soviets have the worst AA in the game yet you have the gall to post this.
15 Oct 2014, 03:50 AM

So, OKW gets free AA at the beginning of the game, a dedicated and effective AI/AA unit, and a really powerful flak gun on top of their tech buildings, yet somehow they have the weakest AA ability? When Soviets have 0 non-doctrinal AA save for a 120 muni upgrade on a fragile T3 unit?

Sierra, please, at least try to disguise your bias. Being so overt about it is entertaining in a way, but it wears off too quickly.
15 Oct 2014, 03:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Oct 2014, 03:27 AMOhme
How can any critical and unbiased observer reasonably deduce that OKW is lacking in the AA department?

Beacuse to some one game sets the stage on how the entire faction plays.
15 Oct 2014, 03:58 AM

Permanently Banned

Beacuse to some one game sets the stage on how the entire faction plays.

Your lack of usage of a comma made me read that sentence for like 5 minutes before I figured out what you were trying to say :snfAmi: Maybe I just need to l2read
PAGES (3)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment