Login

russian armor

Best and Worst Voice Acting

14 Oct 2014, 19:07 PM

Yeah it's very immersion shattering when you're supposed to be a German officer commanding his units, but you can't understand a word your men or even your adviser is saying. So accented English is the best route.
14 Oct 2014, 19:15 PM

I regret I have to disagree with you on this one, Katitof.

I think it was easily possible for English speakers to become immersed with the Wehrmacht or PE in vCoH, bcs the lines the models spoke were amusing, and by no means a caricature, (though I am aware that some native German-speaking posters did disagree). In fact, if the lines were only pure caricature, I do not think they would have worked as well as they did. And the voice acting was of a very high standard (IMO).

When I consider the Ostheer/OKW on the other hand, the 'magic' seems to have evaporated to a degree. The Ostheer commander, for instance, seems far more harsh and therefore less empathetic, and less immersive. If you were going to argue 'parody', the Ostheer commander seems more prone to this criticism. The voice is harsh, it grates, and so lacks empathy, which (IMO) affects immersion. But that is my point of view, and it is highly subjective, I accept

I feel that is immersion breaking when they use all these corny lines with crappy accents. I am playing a war game, not a goofy arcade shooter. The campaign was quite cold and gloomy, so I think they should've matched that tone with more serious dialogue.
14 Oct 2014, 19:38 PM

I regret I have to disagree with you on this one, Katitof.

I think it was easily possible for English speakers to become immersed with the Wehrmacht or PE in vCoH, bcs the lines the models spoke were amusing, and by no means a caricature, (though I am aware that some native German-speaking posters did disagree). In fact, if the lines were only pure caricature, I do not think they would have worked as well as they did. And the voice acting was of a very high standard (IMO).

When I consider the Ostheer/OKW on the other hand, the 'magic' seems to have evaporated to a degree. The Ostheer commander, for instance, seems far more harsh and therefore less empathetic, and less immersive. If you were going to argue 'parody', the Ostheer commander seems more prone to this criticism. The voice is harsh, it grates, and so lacks empathy, which (IMO) affects immersion. But that is my point of view, and it is highly subjective, I accept

I miss stuff like "This half track smells like Volks grenadiers!"
14 Oct 2014, 20:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2014, 19:15 PMNinjaWJ

I feel that is immersion breaking when they use all these corny lines with crappy accents. I am playing a war game, not a goofy arcade shooter. The campaign was quite cold and gloomy, so I think they should've matched that tone with more serious dialogue.

I think it actually helps the immersion. There is enough 'serious' content in there that the comedic parts feel natural and sounds like the soldiers have formed bonds and/or are letting off some steam when not in combat.

Things like "PPShs have arrived! Now even Yuri can hit something!" sounds genuine to me. It's a nice counter to more serious lines when in combat, like when a T34 get's destroyed and you hear the 'Nooo- *Static*'
14 Oct 2014, 20:27 PM

We are not that sexy but we will do !
-paner 4 driver executing A-Move
14 Oct 2014, 22:47 PM

"I love a trip to the countryside, but not this fucking country" :snfPeter: - Jaegers(I miss their old G43s for every squad. Now they're meh at times, sadly.) :foreveralone:
15 Oct 2014, 00:57 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who cares about the voice acting. With all the work they put into CoH2, skimping on the voice acting is like throwing a huge classical concert but making the orchestra play on broken banjos.

Relic really chose a poor company to do it. The Soviets aren't voiced by English-speaking Russians and the Germans aren't voiced by English-speaking Germans.

It sounds cheap. It puts me off playing Soviets because they just sound so damn awful. It's a shame too because Russian voices can sound fantastic and add a lot to the atmosphere. Instead they feel like the game's dedicated comic relief. Designed to look crappy, fight crappy and sound crappy :(

The Germans don't sound much better but they at least have good core inf.

Relic, if anyone there is reading this - I work in game localisation in Russia, I can give you a shortlist of Russian sound studios that can provide Voice actors who work in Russian TV/Theatre. Please, for the love of God, find a company that can offer native-speakers for Russian and German sound files.

And I recommend hiring an actual translator to write texts with Russian language instead of google-translating. One glaring example is "Kholodnaya Ferma", not "Kholodnii Ferma".
15 Oct 2014, 13:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2014, 19:15 PMNinjaWJ

Eh, soldiers in war aren't always in Gloomy McSerious mode. They will often joke around, if only to cope with the intense stress they deal with. Often it's black humor, sure, but a joke from time to time just makes them human.
15 Oct 2014, 14:05 PM

Of course in real life, but I think this was done well in COH1 where it was a simple tale about the bravery and sacrifice of soldiers. I felt like COH2 had too many "joke" lines that didn't go well with the overall theme

I'm glad I'm not the only one who cares about the voice acting. With all the work they put into CoH2, skimping on the voice acting is like throwing a huge classical concert but making the orchestra play on broken banjos.

Relic really chose a poor company to do it. The Soviets aren't voiced by English-speaking Russians and the Germans aren't voiced by English-speaking Germans.

It sounds cheap. It puts me off playing Soviets because they just sound so damn awful. It's a shame too because Russian voices can sound fantastic and add a lot to the atmosphere. Instead they feel like the game's dedicated comic relief. Designed to look crappy, fight crappy and sound crappy :(

Relic, if anyone there is reading this - I work in game localisation in Russia, I can give you a shortlist of Russian sound studios that can provide Voice actors who work in Russian TV/Theatre. Please, for the love of God, find a company that can offer native-speakers for Russian and German sound files.

And I recommend hiring an actual translator to write texts with Russian language instead of google-translating. One glaring example is "Kholodnaya Ferma", not "Kholodnii Ferma".

I agree with Bulgakov completely. The voice acting feels cheap and poorly done. It sounds like a bunch of amateurs making fun of Germans and Russian using poorly-written lines. I mentally just block out the hideous dialogue
15 Oct 2014, 14:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2014, 22:47 PMVonIvan
"I love a trip to the countryside, but not this fucking country" :snfPeter: - Jaegers(I miss their old G43s for every squad. Now they're meh at times, sadly.) :foreveralone:
"Nothing like a trip through the countryside. I just wish it wasn't this country"

Do I get a medal to throw into the pile for knowing the quote? :snfCHVGame:
15 Oct 2014, 16:07 PM

Do whatever you want with english voices, but dont touch spanish ones Kappa
15 Oct 2014, 17:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Oct 2014, 14:13 PMsteel
"Nothing like a trip through the countryside. I just wish it wasn't this country"

Do I get a medal to throw into the pile for knowing the quote? :snfCHVGame:

The say both those lines, the latter being said more often. But thanks for the contribution. :banana:
15 Oct 2014, 17:54 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

+1 :)
15 Oct 2014, 19:11 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Pioneers also make references to the losses, they have a quote that goes something like "We've lost too armies many already, we can't possibly sustain these losses." And I once heard an Obers mocking Hitler (though they didn't use his name).

I think that is the other way around

Trying to reassure themselves about how many Russians they've killed and how there cannot possibly be anymore

Which is more or less what the German Generals were doing...
21 Oct 2014, 23:00 PM

"I heard Jerry was 10 feet tall."

"Pershing reporting!"

Two of the most iconic US lines for me, I think both from CoH1.
22 Oct 2014, 00:01 AM
Developer Relic Badge

There are a few good lines in CoH 2, but my favorite tends to come from the Ostheer vehicle crews:

"A T-34 with a German crew might be lethal, that one wasn't!"

And the strangest one

"Get close and personnel, use your scope!"
24 Oct 2014, 14:52 PM

WEll I finally got a chance to mess around with the OKW, and wow, their voice acting is abysmal. It sounds like Frenchmen doing the voices.
24 Oct 2014, 17:20 PM

For CoH1 there was a mod so that Brits and US talked english and PE and WH did talk german. Would be so awesome if you can set up the native language for every faction.

Also i miss really some good quotes from CoH1. Like the Ostwind - i do not remember the exact quote but something like "Rain, a tank that is open - what a bullshit design"

Also the ones from Fallschirmjäger or one of my favorite "Who is the Boogieman?"
24 Oct 2014, 20:55 PM
Donator 11

Stalin can suck my dick, FEUER!!

Fuck you Joe Stalin and fuck you too Ivan

- Pak line when kill confirmed.
24 Oct 2014, 21:48 PM

Also i miss really some good quotes from CoH1. Like the Ostwind - i do not remember the exact quote but something like "Rain, a tank that is open - what a bullshit design"

I think it was "Rain.. Open topped tank.. Fucking great engineering."
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United Kingdom 155
unknown 5
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %