Login

russian armor

Help with sniping

10 Oct 2014, 22:59 PM

This might sound stupid but I still pretty new to the game, especially snipers.

So how do I make the most of this very expensive unit?

Use hold fire or not? Cap behind enemy lines or not? Does the cover I put then in matter e.g heavy/medium?

I've found that when asking them to attack curtain squads out of a blob they will walk forward out of cover and give away their position a lot, is there something I can do to just make them stand still and shot that I'm not aware of?

How far back should they be? And is the dolled red ring around them their firing range of sight range?

Any tips would be really appreciated
10 Oct 2014, 23:20 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

The ring is their firing range, sight range is slightly less than that. Any cover gives them camo, but of course heavier cover provides more protection. I would not suggest capping behind the lines.

Hold fire is good if you aren't watching them closely. They sometimes walk forward when you click for no reason, sometimes its a misclick and you it the ground, other times it seems like a bug. Using attack move helps them move in to shoot, without continuing walking.

They are a high-risk high-reward unit. If playing soviets you should pair them with guards and cons so light vehicles can't get them. Against OKW a scout car will protect you from kubel.

In general, snipers are best used by taking a shot, and then kiting the enemy by walking away. If they follow, keep going for a bit, and then stop to shoot. If they dont follow, go right back for them.
10 Oct 2014, 23:20 PM
Donator 11

Using cover is a definite. The dotted circle is their range.

Use them in pairs vs axis as when facing single squads they cannot risk charging you.

Always retreat at the first sign of trouble (better to be off the field for a while than risk losing them.). If you see a car anywhere on the field don't use them until you have a counter ready (but use them to bait the trap!). Mines on retreat path are good insurance. Classic use is to pair them with guards

Don't generally cap as it will alert the opponent and he/she will send a counter - snipers strength is in being unexpected- after some kills move them to another part if the map

Don't snipe blobs unless you have other units between sniper and blob. Beware of mortars
11 Oct 2014, 09:03 AM

cheers for the advice I will try some of this out!
11 Oct 2014, 09:58 AM

A micro trick for snipers which I find very helpful is to attack-move (a, left-click) rather than moving regularly. This means that if the Sniper bumps into an enemy squad, it will begin firing at max sight range rather than moving closer to the squad where it can come under fire. This is nice if you find it hard to devote attention to the sniper while microing everything else.
12 Oct 2014, 01:18 AM

i usually dont use cover unless im planting them ahead as an early warning type of thing. They too easily decide to leave cover to take a shot, or if a vehicle rolls by they might get autopathed out of cover/cloaking to make way for the vehicle.

I usually keep them around my main infantry and have them target the most threatening units my main line runs in to.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 42
unknown 10
Germany 9
unknown 3
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L