Login

russian armor

So, I want to watch 'Fury......'

31 Oct 2014, 10:11 AM

Arrrgh ye landlubbers. Waiting for something better than Cam versions.
As a Swede I put my faith the biggest thing from us after IKEA and Dynamite.
31 Oct 2014, 12:53 PM

I saw it last weekend, I thought it was pretty good for the most part, didn't really play the Americans overly heroic or white-wash the sorts of things going on during wartime.

The tank battles had me scratching my head a little bit sometimes, but were mostly good.

Then the last battle just shits the bed and nearly ruins the whole movie.
31 Oct 2014, 17:02 PM
Donator 11

I felt the tank crew stuff was a little bit too po-faced and serious - all that grimacing and snarling and screaming obscenities at the Germans.

I much prefer oddball and his crews from Kelly's Heroes
2 Nov 2014, 00:58 AM

To be honest Fury is a great modern WWII film. There hasn't been a WW2 movie this good since Saving Private Ryan. The setting feels authentic and the acting is really good!

Thing is that people go into the theater expecting a tank movie; well it isn't; it's about debunking the myth of the "Greatest Generation". Actually it's the exact opposite of the cheesy, silly, corny "Monument's Men".

Fury is a brutal, visceral war movie about the relationships & camaraderie of a tank crew and what they are prepared to do to survive the shitstorm they're in. The yankees aren't exactly portrayed as saviours: rape, looting, summary executions, cruelty, anger, hate. Well a fatalist portrait of war to diminish the "heroism" of said generation and expose the horrors of war, especially knowing that WW2 is too often portrayed by media as the clean, humanist, righteous war by/for the Allies perspective.

Fury just has 4 combat sequences and all are short.

They just used the tank battles to bait in the the teenage/"I need to see shit blow up cuz it's manly" crowd. A third of the combat is seen in the 3 minutes trailer and the movie is over 2 hours long.

Regarding the Tank combat, it's authentic, but not realistic, they did a good job knowing they only had 60 million $ for the movie, which is little compared to the massive budgets of dumb Superhero movies that get 200+ millions for bad plot, acting and over the top silliness CGI.

As CoH 2 player said it, it must have been quite expensive to rent the tanks and shoot the engagements, that's why they only had 1 tiger and 4 sherman tanks. In order to extend the tank battles, introduce new tank skirmishes or even make the combat more realistic by getting the tactics right, they would have required twice the budget and twice as many tanks and shooting days. Surely it was a luxury the director could not afford, as this would have required more rehearsing and shooting to get it perfect and that's too expensive. Plus, David Ayer is not as obstinate as Sam Peckinpah (Cross of Iron director, my second favourite WW2 movie after Come & See) to push and expensive and long production to nail the realistic WW2 combat.

And actually, the shermans are not OP in this film and it's not typical "MURICA fuck yeah" propaganda movies à la "Lone survivor"/"Act of Valor".

However it's true that the third act spoils the movie, which otherwise could have been an instant WW2 classic.

To sum up, go watch Fury, you won't regret!
2 Nov 2014, 12:45 PM

There hasn't been a WW2 movie this good since Saving Private Ryan. The setting feels authentic and the acting is really good!

What about The Downfall?
2 Nov 2014, 20:32 PM

What about The Downfall?

True, Downfall is a really good movie, it's acting and plot are far better than Fury's, but it's not a combat film. I meant that there has not been an American Perspective WW2 combat Movie this good since Saving Private Ryan. I Just did not write the sentence properly to get my point across:D.

I personally did not like too much flag of our fathers, letters from Iwo Jima was better though, they are still hagiographic when it comes to portraying the "Greatest Generation". Fury is surprising in that aspect, I walked into the theater expecting a simple tank warfare fuck yeah murica movie, boy I was proven wrong. Regardless of that, Fury is a flawed flick cuz of the last act, shame.
2 Nov 2014, 20:36 PM

I watched letters of IWO Jima and I loved it, but Flags of our fathers I heard, was pretty political and republican and it paints the politicians as bad rather than the soldiers.
2 Nov 2014, 20:42 PM

I watched letters of IWO Jima and I loved it, but Flags of our fathers I heard, was pretty political and republican and it paints the politicians as bad rather than the soldiers.

Yeah, that's the problem with Clint Eastwood, the older he gets the more his films are charged with a conservative republican agenda. That's why I'm not too excited for American Sniper, probably won't watch it in theaters unless the reviews are great... Letters from Iwo Jima was far better because the story is told from the Japanese point of view, and it's the only WW2 Japanese perspective movie I've seen. Anyone know other WW2 japanese films?
15 Nov 2014, 15:54 PM

I have finally saw fury in the Cinema. I disliked this movie. Mainly because of many battle Scenes showed the german soldiers as a bunch of idiotic ork Hordes.

The last battle Scene in the movie was the worst.After i saw that final engegemant i had the fealing that fury wanted to tell the Story how a single sherman tank had ventilated the whole german army completely alone. Extremely unrealistic rambo Scene.

The portrayal of the german soldiers in "Fury": In most of the battle Scenes the Germans open fire on the americans but they seem to miss every single shot while the americans always hit. In the last battle Scene you can see how the Germans using there famous "Suicide-horde" tactics. Germans running around like headless chickens waiting to get mowed down by the US mgs in the hundreds.........many People laughed about how unrealistic the last battle was in the Cinema.

15 Nov 2014, 16:32 PM

I really liked the movie, well last sequence was bullshit.

It did a nice explore of how in wars all people are victims and how the value of human life gets reduced to nothing.

It also showed a great explanation of PTSD in my mind. Imagine those people coming home, struggling with what they have done and how they have acted, probably feeling guilty as fuck and people shower them with flowers and tell them they are heroes? Yeah brain is going to short-circuit over that.
20 Nov 2014, 11:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2014, 15:54 PMAffe
I have finally saw fury in the Cinema. I disliked this movie. Mainly because of many battle Scenes showed the german soldiers as a bunch of idiotic ork Hordes.

Are you sure they weren't just fighting Oberkommando West? :snfCHVGame:
27 Feb 2015, 16:06 PM

I liked it but the final battle scene kinda ruined it still a great movie
27 Feb 2015, 19:20 PM
Patrion 14

loved it. so gruesome and felt authentic without overdoing them. just felt it was recreating ww2 scenes.

loved how american soldiers felt ordinary. no rangers or airborne, just hillbilly with guns.

loved the audio especially of ATGs and Tiger's 88.

last scene was kinda lame though.

imo, needed more tanks on tanks.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight