Login

russian armor

Tank Hunter Tactics

8 Oct 2014, 07:59 AM

Have anyone found ANY use for this commander yet? It seems viable but I just can't come up with any real uses for it.
8 Oct 2014, 14:00 PM

I don't own it, but I used it some when it was free for a week.

It basically does what is says on the label. If you're worried about someone going vehicle heavy, then it will give your cons a much better punch, given you have some muni to spend.

The bombing run you get out of it is probably the best. It does a lot of damage and more importantly covers a good size area.

IMO it's probably more efficient to use in team games where vehicles will come out in greater numbers.

I don't recall how well the mines work, but I think they do low damage but have a better chance at a critical. For their cheap cost, it could be very effective to help you AT guns get kills. Just drop them in random places around the map and hope a vehicle runs over it.
10 Oct 2014, 02:17 AM

Hello,

After the trial I bought the commander. I have used it extensively with failure and success. I found more times than not I would come out on top with tiers 2 and 4. However, it is a very defensive doctrine. I would say only go tier 3 if you have a clear advantage and are not expecting a long game. If you misjudged your "edge," since there are no doctrinal infantry/tanks you will have quite a bit of manpower. This will allow you to build both tier 3 and 4 if necessary.

To start: I build tier 2. I found a good Maxim spam works well but can be flanked easily (will ruin your day). Mix some cons in with them. I would definitely get mortars because when the enemy sees your MG's they are getting them as well. Better to preempt their strategy and hopefully vet your mortars up first (precision strike).

My build mostly goes 2-3 maxims 3 cons and two mortars. From their I go whatever direction is opportune. You could get Zis if you feel the need, but your newly found conscript abilities should be more than enough to destroy any light armor and send anything P4 above and limping away.

How to use your cons: I would upgrade one or two with the PTRS. The AT nades can be shady. I would not use them unless you have a tank that is not moving (At all, broke engine can even fuck up the throws.Each con model throws one ) Just like any AT, hit the back armor. You will have the best results. Besides the PTRS and AT nades, the mines are the bell of this ball. For only 5 munitions you can lay extensive fields. These mines crew shock any vehicle for about 5 seconds. enough time to OORAH! and nade thier ass or use the ZIS/SU85. I would build these mines every chance you have. You will have plenty of munitions as well (If your playing defensively.) Lay them up entire stretches of roads. even ones not on the front line. Use them on the flanks of your SU85's and ZIS. It will give you precious time you need to change position. A bonus of these mines (I think unintended) is they can kill a lot of infantry, even your own. Infantry passing over them will not set them off. This is where your mortars come into play. If you have the extensive fields (Should be no problem at 5 muni) and a mortar hits, they all go off (if close to each other). They act like the German 4 pack mine field. I would use mines before the nades any day. I have killed king tigers with cons and a zis because of this extra 5 seconds. I have run up behind elephants with 4 squads and used regular AT nade to break the engine then Doctrinal nades to destroy it ( again hitting it from the back, about 4-5 squads will do the trick (and lots of MUNI.)

I would recommend building muni cashes over fuel (at least 1). You will not need as much armor as the German. Your Maxims will be your main anti infantry. Also get Katyushas. They will be your main offensive unit (I know right?)
On a side note the SU85 does wonders against the OKW flak building. Use the forward site. Make sure you have mines on your flanks.

Vehicle salvage: this can be helpful getting quick resources. I would upgrade at least 1 engineer squad. You can get fuel or muni depending on the vehicle size (I think it's size.)

Here is the strategy: As I said before it is a defensive doctrine. I would use it mainly in big team games, but I have had success in 2v2. Let the German attack you. When you beat them back advance a little, repeat.
I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH BUILD THE MINES!!!
5 munitions is worth losing to a mine detector especially when you have them EVERYWHERE. They cannot mine detect everywhere. Also, it will seriously delay any flanking maneuvers by armor.

Finally the air strike; this is by far the fastest air strike in the game. As said above (Other post) it does cover a large area and damages tanks as well as crew shock. I would use this one stationary vehicles (Crew shocked) or ones that are bottled up and will have a hard dodging it. I would practice vs PC to get the timing down. It does work on infantry. It will not squad wipe but will definitely force a retreat with 1-2 models remaining. I would only use this as a last resort against an infantry blob.

That's it. Looks easy in text but its a lot of micro management. I would not expect to win the first few games until you have a handle on the constant mine construction (CONS can build them).

Hope this helps.
10 Oct 2014, 06:06 AM

Honestly? I just slowly gather conscripts with moly and AT grenade upgrade, get the AT rifles, get a half-track and push them back with some T-70/T-34 support.

I believe this commander was great before the last patch, but now with the conscripts working in a new way it does kinda fall a bit. Just remember it gives the cons a bit more way into late-game allowing them to softly take on any target.

http://www.coh2.org/replay/25258/being-called-lazy-with-tank-hunters
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS