Login

russian armor

Tips for Wehrmacht vs Soviets

3 Oct 2014, 09:50 AM

To be more precise, how to deal with the sniper (or double sniper) + penals and/or guards + 120 mm mortar into T-34/85s?

Every time I face this strategy I bleed manpower like hell because of the snipers and mortars gibbing my squads. MGs are useless because of the snipers and mortars. So are PaKs. Even forcing the sniper to retreat doesn't help, it survives even if I have a grenadier squad shooting at it on it's retreat path.

This strategy allows the soviet player to get much more map control, thus when he hits the required CP amount he can just spam those T-34/85s while I have barely managed to get 1 Pz IV out.

It's pretty sad that the devs think the 2-man sniper squad is just fine. It's survivability is way too good and even misplacing it doesn't mean it gets killed.
3 Oct 2014, 11:31 AM

Rushing a 222 is nice since it can chase down Snipers and kill them in their base. If you opt for this, I advise you to avoid fighting as much as possible to delay your opponents 2 CP for Guards.

Personally, I love using the Mobile Defence doctrine against this strategy. Ostruppen at 3 CP are great because they don't care about being sniped and it is very unlikely they will be killed by a single mortar squad. Keep a halftrack somewhere behind them so reinforce. Later, Pumas are very nice against T34/85s since they are cheap and outrange them considerably. You also save on tech costs since you don't have to go T3. I also advise placing Teller Mines in defensive positions, since most players will be very aggressive with their T34/85s once they call them in and Teller Mines can set up easy kills.
3 Oct 2014, 12:14 PM

Thanks, really appreciate it! If you have some replays, feel free to post them as well :)
3 Oct 2014, 12:47 PM

I don't have any saved, but I'll post any if I come up against that Soviet strategy.

EDIT: Never mind, I did have one which you can find here - http://www.coh2.org/replay/24978/mobile-defence-vs-soviet-snipers/page/1#post_id225292
3 Oct 2014, 19:12 PM

one of the best soviet strategy it is and hard to counter it easily for me untill now. but have u tried vet sniper with elite doctrine?
4 Oct 2014, 12:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Oct 2014, 19:12 PMSoheil
one of the best soviet strategy it is and hard to counter it easily for me untill now. but have u tried vet sniper with elite doctrine?

Nope, don't have that commander.
4 Oct 2014, 12:31 PM

Permanently Banned
Vet sniper alone probably wont countersnipe a soviet sniper squad alone, but a blob of 3 regular snipers will sure do the trick. They have way faster wind-up/aim time than the Soviet Sniper so they basically all just quickscope them. Done it many times in team games (though I don't think I've ever actually won with that strat MVGame)
4 Oct 2014, 16:46 PM

Triple sniper blob? You'd better be joking.
5 Oct 2014, 01:39 AM

3snipers in 1v1 is useless and too risky,use your vet sniper ability to 1 shot 2 kill
5 Oct 2014, 18:17 PM

So solutions so far are 1) p2w or 2) using a unit that dies under air pressure fluctuations? Kappa

I am starting to sound like SSHeini.
5 Oct 2014, 18:57 PM

double pio opening so you can have one squad capping the other side of the map, Soviet T1 is only effective when the units are all together must protect those snipers or its all over.

By having your army fighting for half the map and one squad capping the rest you can get to T2 faster and rush the 222, this also gives you 2 minesweepers later on so you can clear 2 routes at the same time be careful with 222 one well placed mine and its all over.

If there is an m3 the most effective way to deal with it is ambush luring it with a lone and having 222 coming out as a surprise unit.

After this is up to you, want to apply early pressure? rush for T3 and get ostwind or p4 but this means you will either have to rely on Tiger doctrine to handle T34-85 or delay with packs and Tellers until you can build a panther but not skipping t3 means panther will come really late so better off with tiger if you go T3.

As for doctrines use mainly tiger ones if not skipping T3 and don't bother with arty or pack 43, pack 43 gets decrewed by snipers or arty, and LEh18 can work but its very situational, if you have the ostruppen one its also good since you wont bleed as much mp and sacrificing a squad to get a faust off is worth it.

Mostly play smart and don't get caught by those nasty mines.

Hope this helps
7 Oct 2014, 07:18 AM

Thanks JZuna. Sounds like Wehrmacht's success is down to a lot of if's and a bit of luck among with good play. Btw, I think I played one game vs you yesterday ^^
8 Oct 2014, 18:54 PM

Admittedly i'm a bit out of practice, but the following used to help vs soviet sniper strats I found in 1's. Generally speaking, I found most of these builds consisted of around 2 sov snipers, 3 cons with at nades upgraded into two guards and then tech.

1. Grens, spread out, out cap them and go for a quick t3. Soviet sniper strats involving two snipers require the soviet player to stay compact and to cause enough bleed to justify the map they give up.

2. Alternatively if you want to fight them, I think you should have a doctrine for countering this sort of play equipped. For example, I like Jaeger infantry for obvious reasons vs soviet t1 play. A doctrine with the mortar halftrack can work as well, although I never did like the RNG element in that. The new encirclement doc I imagine would be useful as well on some maps.

3. If you got the micro and cajones, use your own snipers. I've had varying degrees of success with that, you really have to be on point as the Ostheer player in this scenario and have clever positioning/micro to make it work.

24 Dec 2014, 12:08 PM

I love the part when snipers run before 222 and it's unable to kill them with 15+ shots.

Just got pwned by soviet player -> 2 snipers/lots of cons with AT nades so my 222 was kinda useless.
Apart from that, I don't think that any sniper player wouldn't protect their snipers with at least one con squad.
Right now, whenever I face snipers I either lose the game or force the enemy to surrender by killing his snipers - but when I do the latter,in 80% situations it's pure luck.
Jesus, how I hate those motherfucking snipers :gimpy:

24 Dec 2014, 12:38 PM

spam grens againts sniper spam 5-6 grens, because he invests so much manpower into snipers, you should easily dominate the map in terms of map control.
Get a 222 if you want to further get you more map control.
You dont need to kill his snipers, blob your grens when you see his snipers and he will be forced to retreat, retreating snipers is already very good since he gives up alot of map control.

Now use your superior map control to rush a PIV and kill the snipers.

Snipers in 1v1 usually aren't a big problem.
29 Dec 2014, 16:55 PM

Some ideas on countering snipers + units protecting them.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★