Login

russian armor

Sherman's AP vs HE rounds

2 Oct 2014, 14:21 PM

I tried the HE rounds on the Sherman several times, but did not notice enough difference to keep using them. Are other people having the same experience or do the HE rounds make a significant difference?

Below are the stats of each round for reference:

The AoE radius is double on the HE rounds but the near AoE is not significantly better.
2 Oct 2014, 14:40 PM

My experience with it is that the increased AOE gives the Sherman much improved squad wipe potential. Of course, the scatter is still an issue so the get around it you need to have more Shermans which increases the chance that shots land where you want them to.

In fact, my favorite way to use the Sherman is in a pack of 2-3 and send them hunting lone squads with HE rounds. It doesn't really matter if they retreat on sight (and they usually take a second or two), you can still chase them and wipe them out most of the time.
2 Oct 2014, 14:40 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

They make a big difference. HE rounds will also always penetrate any light vehicle. So if you're only fighting infantry and light vehicles, leave them on. Once some enemy tanks are arriving on the battlefield, it will be up to your judgment when it's best to switch.
2 Oct 2014, 14:46 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

I find them much better at anti infantry than the AP shells or even the Easy eight. double AoE radius makes quite an impact.
Thanks to tensais site you can easily see the difference:
http://www.coh2-stats.com/ballistic_weapons/sherman_m3_75mm_mp
http://www.coh2-stats.com/ballistic_weapons/sherman_m3_75mm_he_shell_mp

Infantry has 80 hp so any range where the damage is over 80 will instantly kill a model. If you look at the Ap shell it does >80 damage until .9 meters.
Compare that to the HE shell where it does >80 damage until 1.325 meters.
It also has less scatter so it will hit more reliably. You might have been unlucky
So I run HE shells standard because lets be honest you have the jacksons for plenty of AT. Only when i know i have to focus on tanks i switch
Vaz
2 Oct 2014, 14:47 PM

I notice a huge difference. When it hits and they are bunched up, they are gone. I do the same thing as Romeo, if I'm just fighting infantry and light vehicles it's always on. It's too slow to change in the middle of a tank fight, so once I see a tank I turn it off until there are no more tanks.
2 Oct 2014, 15:21 PM

Well I'm using Shermans almost always with HE shells. Sherman with HE shells is infantry killer.
AP shells are very weak. Same penetration as T34/76 but I noticed that they are bouncing even from PzIV very, very often.
So... Shermans+HE to kill infatry and lure enemy's vehicles into range of 57mm or Jackson.
2 Oct 2014, 15:36 PM

Permanently Banned
It can easily wipe clumped units....
3 Oct 2014, 19:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I will try it again to see if I can spot the difference. I dont think its a bad idea to turn on HT rounds when playing against OKW t2 player because the HT rounds have enough perpetration to cause damage to all t2 vehicles.
3 Oct 2014, 19:38 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Oct 2014, 19:21 PMAbdul
Thanks for the feedback, I will try it again to see if I can spot the difference. I dont think its a bad idea to turn on HT rounds when playing against OKW t2 player because the HT rounds have enough perpetration to cause damage to all t2 vehicles.

the damage when u switch is very good.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 3
Korea, Republic Of 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak