Login

russian armor

Heavy tanks - easy use

30 Sep 2014, 02:06 AM

I believe the solution relic is going to implement is to nerf call-ins generally - increase the fuel cost moderately, then apply a discount for tiering. So a Tiger might now be 270 fuel, with -20 fuel for each of the following buildings you constructed:

T3
T4

A similar system will probably be in place for the other factions. This will make holding out without building tiers less economically viable. But still possible.

Heavies are call-ins, generally. The only one that isn't that I can think of is the KT, but that requires tiering anyway by definition.
I assure you that a measly 20 fuel is not going to solve the problem. Heavy tank dominance is not going to be changed by a minor stat change either. There needs to be a large change to how the late game works.
30 Sep 2014, 13:12 PM

I believe the solution relic is going to implement is to nerf call-ins generally - increase the fuel cost moderately, then apply a discount for tiering. So a Tiger might now be 270 fuel, with -20 fuel for each of the following buildings you constructed:

T3
T4

A similar system will probably be in place for the other factions. This will make holding out without building tiers less economically viable. But still possible.

Heavies are call-ins, generally. The only one that isn't that I can think of is the KT, but that requires tiering anyway by definition.

If your tiers units can't deal with the heavies, it's not going to change anything. Heavies need to cost something to be maintain.
What is problematic is that you can lost 2 mediums tanks to bring a heavy to 10% of his life. You'll have to replace your tanks with fuel while the heavy is repaired and vetted for free.
30 Sep 2014, 15:29 PM

Let me be clear about one thing, heavies are not good as they are in their current state. At least that is my opinion.
And I'm not only talking about heavies itself, but also about how they are being called in, their impact on the game, ...

+1

Heavies are the thing that keep me away from the game, even more than the current balance.

Nothing is more boring than having a good game until a JT appears and ALL your armor becomes useless and you can quit because your picked commander doesn't have anything to do against it.
30 Sep 2014, 15:33 PM

They really need to find a way to promote mixing medium and heavy armour as well as tank destroyers.
1 Oct 2014, 08:13 AM

That'd only work with Soviets if you want the holy trinity. Wehrmacht lacks Tank Destroyers (excluding Elefant), OKW lacks Medium Tanks, and USF lacks Heavy Tanks. :P

Only Soviets have Tank Destroyers, Medium Tanks, and Heavy Tanks.
1 Oct 2014, 09:21 AM
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Sep 2014, 09:37 AMand
Heavy tanks are a no-brainer.

Their main advantage, as I see it, is that they can go in, take out a tank or two, and back out with 10% hp and get repaired to full, for free.

This mechanic is the main reason why the US late game is bad: they lack heavy tanks, and heavy tanks are simply too hard to counter properly. It's the same reason why team games are heavily swayed towards Axis (though Soviet does have some heavy tanks as well).

Simply making heavy call-ins require tech buildings won't fix the problem. Basically, it can only be fixed with a larger overhaul of unit stats and costs.

My opinion is that heavy tanks should not have such a huge HP advantage over medium tanks. They can take a huge amount of penetrating shots, and it's simply ridiculous. The main advantage of heavy tanks should be penetration/range and armor. By making heavy tanks closer to medium tanks in performance, they could be made cheaper. I think this change would be nice, as I also dislike the fact that you almost can't afford to field any other vehicles if you get a heavy tank. It makes the gameplay way too dumb. Finally, infantry soft counters such as AT guns would also become more viable in the late game.

Any thoughts on this? The above could also be accompanied with adding a cost to repairs (but might not be necessary).

(PS: limiting the amount of tanks you can get is a pretty stale fix and does not change the origin of why heavy tanks are frustrating to play against.)

exactly my opinion. Heavy tanks should be heavy medium tanks, not the crazy heavy they are now.
2 Oct 2014, 18:02 PM
Patrion 310

Tiger tank? No problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfigpjOTZvs
Saving Private Ryan Air support Scene (P-51)

"Without the B-17, we might have lost the war."
General Carl Spaatz, Commander, US Strategic Air Forces in Europe, 1944

Not suggesting USF should have B-17 but COH2 obviously are not taking full advantage of the fact that USF could not have won WW2 without good bombers.

Just give the Major P-47 call-in using fuel instead of munitions, problem solved. Fix USF late game and force Axis to get some AA to cover their tanks. Since USF late game are very micro intensive its only fair they get the best bombers and also historically accurate.
Relic need more focus on AA and air combat of WW2.

2 Oct 2014, 22:13 PM

The B-17 was a heavy bomber, not a fighter bomber. B-17's were used to target factories, rail depots, shipyards, and cities.

That aside, the US did make heavy use of rapid artillery and fighter-bombers to destroy a significant portion of the armour they faced, which is not represented in CoH2 at all, save for the Rocket Strafe.
2 Oct 2014, 23:49 PM

The B-17 was a heavy bomber, not a fighter bomber. B-17's were used to target factories, rail depots, shipyards, and cities.

That aside, the US did make heavy use of rapid artillery and fighter-bombers to destroy a significant portion of the armour they faced, which is not represented in CoH2 at all, save for the Rocket Strafe.

I kind of like the idea of a large area high altitude bombing run. Americans could get a B-17; SOrt of a halfway mark between the OKW scavenge artillery and the american 204mm artillery. Huge area, bombs landing randomly over time.

Options for incendiary bomblets (Anti infantry focused but cheaper) or a few heavy bombs (less accurate but more expensive and huge boom)

Off Topic, though. Seriously. Fuel Upkeep. It's all we need.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 33
Russian Federation 49
unknown 45
United States 21

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %