Login

russian armor

Conscripts durability

24 Sep 2014, 18:48 PM

I'm new to the game and very new to the Soviet faction as I focused on the Ostheer at first. Now playing as the soviets my Conscripts are getting annihilated by Grens with LMGs at almost any range. Is there anything I can do to to improve there durability? Like what is the range/role they suit best? Should I keep squads together or spread them out? Do I retreat once I've lost three guys or is the health of the squad more important?

Any advice would be great.
24 Sep 2014, 19:12 PM

Conscripts work best at range. Like all units the better the cover the better off they are. Avoid putting them out in the open unsupported or letting them get closed in on by sturm pios or other assault rifle wielding units.
24 Sep 2014, 23:54 PM

Just avoid very long distance with them. Only exeption is where you fight against smgs or assault rifles
25 Sep 2014, 01:42 AM

i wouldnt count on cons for anything else other than at nades and weapon recrewing once grens start teching. keep cons count low and use other alternatives like guards shocks snipers or t34. key to defeating lmg spam is to hard counter them. of course it doesnt work everytime because of the extra cost you have to fork out so choose ur best counters to what he has.

a t34 works against a p4 rush whiles snipers are the best against gren spam and mg42s. shocks and guards are there to hold the line so they dont roll conscripts.
25 Sep 2014, 01:58 AM

Conscripts work best at range. Like all units the better the cover the better off they are. Avoid putting them out in the open unsupported or letting them get closed in on by sturm pios or other assault rifle wielding units.

this is not true !

cons work best at medium range, not long range. They will lose to grens the bigger the range.

Furthermore you should try to keep cons together and fight grens 2v1.

dont blob though, because you dont want multiple units to run in an MG arc and get suppressed.
Try to be agressive with your cons early on. They will hit the field slightly earlier than the ost units and therefore you will have a slight advantage in early battles.

Mind Pios though , they deal quite heavy damage to cons at short range and that means dont close in on them but stay at range in this matchup.
25 Sep 2014, 02:34 AM

I've been playing around with cons ... 3 from the start with AT grenades and Molotov. 2 at nades .... dead kubel.
Also been playing with urban defence. smaller AT guns but you can field 50 of them ... quite effective on pumas. The HMG isn't that bad and 180mm mortar is great. Go T1 skip T2 ... pick T3 or 4.
Fuel floats up fast and you can churn out tanks. Only draw back is no heavy tanks.
25 Sep 2014, 19:44 PM

Versus Ostheer it's usually a good idea to get out 3-4 cons at the beginning. I don't think they ever become worthless--especially if you have a doctrine with PPSHs.

Cons are best at medium or short ranges versus grens. Ideal is short-range, like right next to the gren squad, but don't do this if it means you have to run across a lot of open terrain and take damage and lose models.

Getting the medical upgrade at the Soviet HQ is pretty essential, and it more than pays for itself over the course of the game versus the manpower bleed from using low-health squads. Don't get it until you actually need it though.

AT grenades are absolutely essential as soon as vehicles are on the field. Try to anticipate so you have the upgrade right when vehicles come out. AT grenades are a great deterrent, especially to light vehicles, and they never stop being useful--although don't expect any miracles when you throw one at a Tiger. AT grenades pair well with the Hoorah! ability.

The merge ability is important, although situational. I think it's especially useful to keep support weapons alive like AT guns. Also keep in mind that the squad you merge with always keeps its veterancy. Think about that for a minute.

As with most everything in CoH2, unit preservation is the most important skill you can learn. There is almost never a reason to intentionally sacrifice a squad or vehicle. Vet 3 conscript squads are strong, even in the endgame as long as they are properly used.
3 Nov 2014, 17:59 PM

built some sand bag if you on defend or have time, it does help in early game.
4 Nov 2014, 18:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Sep 2014, 18:48 PMLineten
I'm new to the game and very new to the Soviet faction as I focused on the Ostheer at first. Now playing as the soviets my Conscripts are getting annihilated by Grens with LMGs at almost any range. Is there anything I can do to to improve there durability? Like what is the range/role they suit best? Should I keep squads together or spread them out? Do I retreat once I've lost three guys or is the health of the squad more important?

Any advice would be great.

mortars...the HM-38 is best....grens have to stop for 1 second before LMG starts to fire and due to new mechanics in latest patch the grens clump up whenever in any cover. Soviet mortars will bleed him dry simply by using autofire against the stationary grens as long as don't let enemy push your mortars off of the field too much.
5 Nov 2014, 18:05 PM

You cannot really fight a big group of LMG grens by using conscripts. They work best at medium range but it will tough to close in without losing models. You should get Mazims and mortars to help you. Mortars are great! A ZiS barrage works wonders too.
5 Nov 2014, 18:09 PM

Conscripts are exactly what they are, conscripts. They excel at small-medium range, especially in pairs. They're strong in numbers, have at- nades and molotovs, and can oorah past MGs. However their health/armor is something that needs to be watched at times.
13 Dec 2014, 12:35 PM

I find them very effective - even against those pesky sturm pioneers - like VonIvan said - they're strong in numbers and you can allow yourself to lose some of them while inflicting costly losses to 'cocky' better tier soldiers (however, not against terminator squads -> obers). Plus, urrah combined with molos/at-nades can be very distracting and force your enemy to commit mistakes. Cons are expendable and useful tool in the arsenal of any soviet commander <444>3
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★