Login

russian armor

Flag off-topic posts

24 Sep 2014, 15:48 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

It would be nice if there was some automated ways for users to flag posts that are off topic in a thread. Yes I know that moderators can invis and will look at some posts that is reported as spam or excessive flaming. But I think they are hesitant to do this sometimes because even when post is off-topic maybe it is not violating site rules so badly. But then lots of threads just fills up with 3 pages of argument between Katitof and Jaigen because they very passionate hate each other but are able to post in way that will not use too much flaming.

So I think if users could flag posts as "off-topic" and a post accumulates some 20 or 30 flags then automatically it becomes invisible but user can toggle to see what it says, the same way as youtube comments.

Or maybe you can have some settings in my profile to hide/show posts with too many flags. That way maybe not so much arguments to read through and just relevant content. Thanks!
24 Sep 2014, 17:25 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

I agree that that would be nice. In the meantime, you might want to try out this handy plug-in that lets you ignore certain users: http://www.coh2.org/topic/10244/title/post/213275
24 Sep 2014, 17:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

That is very cool plugin but I think sometimes they have good posts. So I don't want to ignore completely the user, just some posts. Thanks for suggestion anyway though :)
24 Sep 2014, 18:20 PM
Honorary Member Badge

we have a report function which to my knowledge you can reprot a post offtopic. i don't like system that do what you descirbe for 1 reason. that is that people tend to abuse it by invisng peopls posts for the simple reaosn that they don't like them.
24 Sep 2014, 18:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Well yes that is the whole point. If 30 people doesn't like that person maybe there is some reason for that??

As long as the threshold is high it gives power to the community, not necessarily to one abusive user. Yes it is probably important to give mods power to clear flags from a perfectly fine post though.
24 Sep 2014, 18:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Sep 2014, 18:32 PMRomeo
Well yes that is the whole point. If 30 people doesn't like that person maybe there is some reason for that??

24 Sep 2014, 18:41 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

See? ^^^ Perfect example if I could flag as off topic with rest of the community then the post becomes hidden with some toggles and then if other users want to see vonivan's funny gif they can expand to see what it was.
24 Sep 2014, 18:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Sep 2014, 18:41 PMRomeo
See? ^^^ Perfect example if I could flag as off topic with rest of the community then the post becomes hidden with some toggles and then if other users want to see vonivan's funny gif they can expand to see what it was.

But it wasn't off-topic :foreveralone:
24 Sep 2014, 18:54 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Okay okay, I was just making the point that even if it got flagged it is not so abusive or bad. I would have expanded to see your gif anyway because they usually make me chuckle. :D
15 Oct 2014, 15:21 PM

I don't see the button
15 Oct 2014, 18:07 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

The problem, I think, is that this suggestion just takes "reporting" to another level, which is open to abuse, as Wifi has succinctly stated.

To try to make the outcome more positive: I wonder if there is a case for "Poster of the week"? e,g, if weekly, a thread would be started in the Scrapyard by the Writers, on say Thursday evening 20:00hrs GMT,extending for 24 hours, allowing any poster to suggest who they would nominate (with reasons). The thread would close for nominations at midnight PST on Friday, then the result would be posted on Saturday. The winner could then have "Poster of the Week" set against their name for 7 days....it might encourage positive posting?
15 Oct 2014, 18:59 PM

The problem, I think, is that this suggestion just takes "reporting" to another level, which is open to abuse, as Wifi has succinctly stated.

To try to make the outcome more positive: I wonder if there is a case for "Poster of the week"? e,g, if weekly, a thread would be started in the Scrapyard by the Writers, on say Thursday evening 20:00hrs GMT,extending for 24 hours, allowing any poster to suggest who they would nominate (with reasons). The thread would close for nominations at midnight PST on Friday, then the result would be posted on Saturday. The winner could then have "Poster of the Week" set against their name for 7 days....it might encourage positive posting?

Yaeah!!!!! good idea!! They should also get a little medal under their avatar :D :D :D :D
15 Oct 2014, 19:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Seems pretty complicated. At that point you may as well just have a 'like' button on posts. And the site admins have already stated they will not implement that design.
15 Oct 2014, 19:42 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Oct 2014, 19:32 PMRomeo
Seems pretty complicated. At that point you may as well just have a 'like' button on posts. And the site admins have already stated they will not implement that design.

Yep - but there is a difference.

"Like" buttons can lead to wars/silly spamming.....'poster of the week' not so. But either way, my current task is easier if neither appears ;)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★