Login

russian armor

USF and mobile rocket artillery

22 Sep 2014, 06:46 AM

While OKW, Ostheer and Soviets have nondoctrinal rocket artillery the Americans have nothing of the like. The closest thing to support artillery is the majors artillery strike that costs quite some munitions(that cant be depended as a stable artillery support, since you dont have 120 munis available every 60-70 Seconds)and the scott must be really close to do any damage. Why cant the americans get some rocket artillery?
22 Sep 2014, 08:46 AM

T34 Calliope plz and thank you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T34_Calliope Would love to see this come out with the new campaign they are give to the USF.
24 Sep 2014, 03:21 AM

I'd rather have a Radio Car that calls in airstrikes, that'd be cool.
24 Sep 2014, 03:41 AM

Why should they? Not saying they can't, but I don't get this presumption that every faction needs at least 1 of everything (see: constant Pershing begging). Why shouldn't factions have intentional unit gaps? Diversifying the factions and their playstyles makes the games more interesting.

If they really, absolutely need it to be viable then sure, but just "the other guy has it" is pretty much the worst reason you could give.
24 Sep 2014, 04:08 AM

Right now the USF has 2 artillery options, The scott which is a tank that has the same range as Anti tank guns, and the pack howitzer see link.

http://www.coh2.org/topic/24596/relic-sir-are-you-high-pack-howie

Neither are very good "artillery Options" as even without a reinforce cost of 95 the pack howie loses to mortars and is hard to manuever and protect where as the scott is countered by units arty is supposed to counter
24 Sep 2014, 04:20 AM

Why should they? Not saying they can't, but I don't get this presumption that every faction needs at least 1 of everything (see: constant Pershing begging). Why shouldn't factions have intentional unit gaps? Diversifying the factions and their playstyles makes the games more interesting.

If they really, absolutely need it to be viable then sure, but just "the other guy has it" is pretty much the worst reason you could give.

That's all well and good, but it kind of feels that USF is missing more "stuff" than the other factions.

No stock "elite" infantry (I know Penals are meh but they fit the bill)
*Kinda sorta countered by Rifles being the best stock infantry, but Rifles can't stand up to Axis elites outside of doctrinal LMGs.

No heavy tank
* Obvious. Jacksons are strong, but whether that is enough is up for debate.

Lack of mines
*Only faction with mines locked behind a tech choice and no anti-infantry mine at all. The doctrinal light AT mines are bad, and I think bugged as well. Could counter by saying USF is only faction with non-doctrinal tank traps. I'd trade any day.

No Rocket Artillery
* No real mortar either, just the overpriced Pack Howie and the terrible doctrinal Halftrack. Priest is supposed to fill this gap I guess, but is doctrinal and in my opinion worse than the Katyusha and Stuka (but better than the Panzerwerfer).

24 Sep 2014, 04:42 AM

The lack of mines more than anything has bothered me from Day 1. Considering the faction is built around mobility and strategic maneuver, you'd think mines would be an essential part of their playstyle. They'd help immensely against heavies.
24 Sep 2014, 04:44 AM

Wow, I know that you stole it with falls, who aren't the ideal capturing unit, but Jesus, that piece of shit wannabe artillery gun costs more to reinforce than soviet snipers.

24 Sep 2014, 04:46 AM

Wow, I know that you stole it with falls, who aren't the ideal capturing unit, but Jesus, that piece of shit wannabe artillery gun costs more to reinforce than soviet snipers.

Wrong thread there bud :P
24 Sep 2014, 05:42 AM

Permanently Banned
Just make the priest non-doc
24 Sep 2014, 05:54 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Americans really miss good nondoc indirect fire that can break the pak40 and mg lines. I take Soviet or ostheer mortar over pack howie any day
24 Sep 2014, 05:55 AM

Just make the priest non-doc

Make the rocket arty jeep non doctrinal. Or even better yet, make the calliope upgrade for shermans.
24 Sep 2014, 06:39 AM

US are supposed to be versatile, but they lack so many necessary things that other factions have.

As for the barrage role, this is supposed to be somewhat made up by major arty and the pack howitzer. Both of which are terribly under-performing, especially in filling that role.

The only unit that successfully fills it is the priest, which is only in one commander.
24 Sep 2014, 09:59 AM

I find the lack of mines disturbing.

Definitely should be added for a supposedly versatile faction.
24 Sep 2014, 10:27 AM

That's all well and good, but it kind of feels that USF is missing more "stuff" than the other factions.

No stock "elite" infantry (I know Penals are meh but they fit the bill)
*Kinda sorta countered by Rifles being the best stock infantry, but Rifles can't stand up to Axis elites outside of doctrinal LMGs.

No heavy tank
* Obvious. Jacksons are strong, but whether that is enough is up for debate.

Lack of mines
*Only faction with mines locked behind a tech choice and no anti-infantry mine at all. The doctrinal light AT mines are bad, and I think bugged as well. Could counter by saying USF is only faction with non-doctrinal tank traps. I'd trade any day.

No Rocket Artillery
* No real mortar either, just the overpriced Pack Howie and the terrible doctrinal Halftrack. Priest is supposed to fill this gap I guess, but is doctrinal and in my opinion worse than the Katyusha and Stuka (but better than the Panzerwerfer).

Lack of flamers, snipers, fast mg's, and the list goes on.

24 Sep 2014, 10:35 AM

I only listed things all three other factions have.

USF does have doctrinal flamers in 3 doctrines (Armor and Mechanized can get Assault Engies, Rifle you can get Riflemen flamers)
24 Sep 2014, 18:41 PM

the usf has the m20 mine, stop making the argument that it doesnt have a nondoctrinal mine when the m20 mine is extremely powerful and is a guaranteed engine destroyed or immobilized
24 Sep 2014, 18:47 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Yes that argument is very strange, if anything USF has the very best mining capability because it does massive damage, cannot be wasted on infantry, and gets laid by a highly mobile and survivable vehicle.
24 Sep 2014, 18:49 PM

the usf has the m20 mine, stop making the argument that it doesnt have a nondoctrinal mine when the m20 mine is extremely powerful and is a guaranteed engine destroyed or immobilized

What if you don't go for T2?
Its certainly a great mine, but USF teching isn't exactly linear.
nee
24 Sep 2014, 18:54 PM

Having three non-doctrinal light artillery units (Major's strike, pack howtizer and Scott) sort of seems fine. The only USF commander to not have off map artillery is Recon, which is kind of compensated for its myriad of oddly placed airborne abilities.
Conversely the rocket artillery the other factions have are relatively expensive by way of teching, and thus limited in their use. The only fuel cost for US artillery is the Scott, and that thing can fire by itself and while moving, not limited to a barrage ability. Panzerwerfer, Katyusha and Walking Stuka are longer range yes, but there's only one such unit and all cost quite a bit of fuel.
The only improvement for USF artillery, I think, should be found in doctrines, and include emplacements; 105mm or even 155mm howitzers for example could surely be a suitable artillery emplacement. I am a bit mixed with the Calliope, as it mixes a Sherman's medium armour with the range and firepower of rocket artillery, perhaps the only way to get it is via upgrade after building your own Shermans?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★