Login

russian armor

Tank Traps

21 Sep 2014, 21:01 PM

I know that Sturmpioneers can build these with the doctrinal Heavy Fortification upgrade, but does anyone know exactly how they work? Specifically, what can destroy them? Can very heavy vehicles crush them? Also, does anyone know of any good maps/tricks for them?
23 Sep 2014, 01:35 AM

Tank traps can be destroyed... by tanks. It takes some time, though.
No vehicles can crush them.
23 Sep 2014, 02:10 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

I like to use them by placing a small group of them to block a bridge. The default behavior is to build them in a line, but it is not needed. It takes a little extra micro, but by queuing orders via Shift + Click and placing a small cluster of 2-3 instead of a row of 4 is handy.

You can also plant them in a row, and then build wire directly on top of the trap row. This prevents vehicles from crushing wire, and also prevents infantry from crossing or cutting the wire (As OKW only).

The biggest downside to tank traps is also blocking your own vehicles pathing. In a best case scenario, you place tank traps slightly forward so your enemy cannot reclaim part of the map, or forces them down a particular path.
25 Sep 2014, 11:24 AM

They are a great way of exploiting lazy commanders and the game's auto routing system to create kill zones. I use them to create narrow openings and passages that create bottlenecks of enemy units and then concentrate AT/Air strikes etc on those zones. The only downside is, as pointed out they can take some microing and it can be time consuming setting it up.
18 Oct 2014, 02:46 AM

also tank traps provide green cover for infantry. so if you cant make a sandbag wall but you can make a tank trap and you want green cover. then there you go!
22 Oct 2014, 04:25 AM

When playing USF, my first RE squad dispatches to the VP or fuel point and builds 3 traps for good green cover, it helps then when they are using their volley fire and also, by that point the first rifle squad are usually coming into the fight, so they can use them too.

I usually stick a few around fighting positions too, just to deflect or stop the first few shrek or AT shots it's enevitibly bound to receive!

Very useful.
29 Dec 2014, 00:02 AM

Can anybody confirm the Ostheer Defensive commander Traps can't be crushed by heavy armor like the IS-2?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★