Login

russian armor

Ost Mechanized Assault Ridiculously OP

19 Sep 2014, 19:44 PM

So the major patch a few days ago buffed two units from this doctrine, making the assault grens viable and panzergrenadiers strong, now this is literally the only ost doctrine I see being chosen. This doctrine was already one of the strongest of all the ost commanders, but now it's clearly the best and way overperforming. This commander is so good now because now you need LITERALLY ZERO TECH to be effective. Start with assault grens -> panzergren call in -> stug 3 -> tiger. This commander really exacerbates the whole call in problem that COH2 suffers from, and it's not fun having one dominant commander for a faction that you have to pick each time to be competitive.
19 Sep 2014, 19:50 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Ostheer is dead right now in 1v1, this doctrine is popular because you can rely on other main infantry besides grens, which can't hold up to rifles in the early game.
19 Sep 2014, 19:53 PM

Permanently Banned
Assault Grenadiers are terrible, as is the Panzer Grenadier/250 call-in. The Stug III Ausf. E is a bit powerful vs USF infantry, but it's incredibly easy to counter; Ive taken them down using Stuarts with ease. The light artillery barrage is the most cost-effective artillery barrage in the game, but it's hardly OP. And the Tiger is the Tiger.

This is a L2P issue, I'm afraid.
19 Sep 2014, 20:15 PM

Ostheer is not dead at all, still very versatile faction with great mainline units. yeah it is a super strong commander against USF but dont think its OP. And a rushed pg/250 is a pain in the ass for usf IF USED RIGHT and same for ass grens.
19 Sep 2014, 20:30 PM

Assault Grenadiers are strong only in so far as they have high DPS early game. They die like flies, and unless they pull off some crazy flank it should be possible to focus them down with rifles before they get into close range. Keeping your rifle squads close together helps with this a lot, as does upgrading BARs/M1919s early. Ass Grens are also fairly expensive at 280 MP, so your opponent should have a moderately slow build order early game.

If you see Ass Grens then you absolutely have to go Captain first, otherwise Stugs will crush you. Build an AT gun in advance to held with this - the doctrinal Stugs die very fast to dedicated AT. For the Tiger, counter as usual with Jacksons/AT guns.

Overall, I don't think the Mech Assault doctrine is really all that great. If you want to see how bad Ass Grens really are, just go Armour and build Assault Engineers. They can usually beat Ass Grens 1v1 even before upgrading the flamethrower.

EDIT: just realised I have been assuming you are a US player. If you are Soviet I don't know what to say, a T2 opening should have not trouble dealing with Ass Grens/Stugs.
19 Sep 2014, 21:13 PM
Patrion 27

Since this is your first post you are either a total noob (welcome!) or you are another fake troll account. It's so hard to ever tell these days... Assault Grens are so far from being OP this is just ridiculous.
19 Sep 2014, 21:47 PM

Hi well I don't think that this docrtine is op at all its good and everything in it is useful but not as good as the tread is suggesting.

Requiring zero tech while using this (or any) doctrine, simply not true if you don't get grens or mg you get owned by flamer m3 and fast m20 or just overwhelmed with numbers be it rifles or conscripts.

I actually played vs this doctrine recently, I did lose a squad here and there due to the shock value of the pgren halftrack and stugE but still the only reason I wasn't expecting was because no Assault grens were called in so dint know what doctrine to expect, the map was on langres not exactly the best map to go for this doctrine works best in close quarter maps.

As US you always have some kind of light vehicle out by the time pgren/HT is called in as for Assault gren keep them at range with rifles and rush your light vehicle in no faust np, after that you know StugE is a possibility either tech captain for AT gun or drop AT gun with Airborne as for tiger use m20 to put mines in obvious paths get jacksons.

If you want to check the game I mentioned I will post it labeled as US vs Mechanized, Im aware its not the best example game to show the true power of this doctrine but gives you a small idea
19 Sep 2014, 22:01 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

You are significantly overstating the ability to skip teching:

Assault Grenadiers alone is not enough to overcome the US or Soviet factions. Unless you are playing someone way below your skill level, in which case, almost anything would work.

The PGren halftrack has always been a fun, interesting, and potentially strong unit, but it is no replacement for T2. The Wehrmacht Half-Track is invaluable for reinforcing, and the Pak40 is one of the best AT weapons in the game against Medium armor. They are also expensive at 40 fuel, and unlikely to survive against AA-HT, Stuart, T34, AT guns, anything. PGren shreks are a Relic of older times (See what I did there?). They're less effective at range since last patch, and are still a very vulnerable AT platform. One AA half-track can sufficiently suppress and kite shrek squads and not feel threatened at all.

The Stug E is effective against infantry, but will not stop enemy armor. A T70 could kill a Stug E. I think the Stug E is the stand out unit of the doctrine, and is effective against infantry and light vehicles. If it came at an earlier CP level, it might be OP.

The Tiger is, of course, very good. There is no doubt that doctrines with late game heavy tank call ins reign supreme.
19 Sep 2014, 22:17 PM

The doctrine is strong against US but pretty meh against Soviets.

If you're playing US and see Assault Grens, you need to prepare for the StuG E. Either tech Captain instead of Lieutenant or go Airborne so that you have AT gun available. Then tech to Major asap so you can have a Sherman out to fight back the StuG Es. After that, prepare for Tiger. 2 Jacksons with that Sherman you already bought should be plenty (and P-47 if you went Airborne).
20 Sep 2014, 06:30 AM

It's really not that great imo, only decent vs USF.

Ass grens are mostly ASS, unless you can somehow get in close without losing 2-3 grens before you get up close.

The mech assault group is ok, but the pschrek upgrades are simply too expensive to skip T2 plus I think it costs like 30-40 fuel which is ridiculous. It seems the doctrine is designed to skip T2 but going this route seems to be punishing you for that; 20-25 fuel would be more justified.

L.A. Barrage is utter crap and a total waste of munitions, really inconsistent ability that often barely even scratches the opponent.

Stug III E is nice vs USF and Tiger is Tiger.
20 Sep 2014, 18:41 PM
Patrion 39

Assault Grens are great for hiding behind brush and ambushing, and protecting flanks. They're really too squishy to actually assault like Shocks do, but that's more of an issue of Shocks overperforming, especially since the LMG nerf and the increasing of the effectiveness of close range troops.

Like the 222, the Assault Group isn't that effective anymore vs. US since they got homing AT nades, but can still wreck havoc on certain units that don't have a snare, and is great for chasing down retreating squads.

Stug III E is amazing and IMO overperforming, but it also sucks against vehicles heavier than a T70/Stuart (can suck vs. these too if it's unsupported) so I suppose it's a tradeoff. This vehicle is what makes this doctrine viable at all, particularly vs. US.

Light artillery barage is pretty meh. I would rather it be more expensive in exchange for more lethality. Not that it's terrible, I mean, it fires a lot of shells, but the shells themselves have terrible AoE and pretty much have to have direct hits to kill anything.

And like everyone else has said, Tiger is Tiger.
21 Sep 2014, 09:25 AM

This is a L2P issue, I'm afraid.

Most definetly.
21 Sep 2014, 09:26 AM

And like everyone else has said, Tiger is Tiger.

Yeah, a nerfed pile of metal. The only "Tiger" it's Tiger Ace.
21 Sep 2014, 15:12 PM
Patrion 39

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Sep 2014, 09:26 AMJohnnyB

Yeah, a nerfed pile of metal. The only "Tiger" it's Tiger Ace.

Haha they are still good IMO. They are dangerous against USF cause it inflicts that manpower bleed. Soviet much less so, because the ISU is just cheesy broken and the IS-2 has a stupid amount of armor, and IMO an armor buff wasn't necessary for the IS-2 last time, only a health buff, though its offensive capability is pretty lack luster. It just gets outclassed by Russian heavies which cost around the same.
21 Sep 2014, 15:30 PM

this is not op dude L2P :snfBarton:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight