Login

russian armor

First map problems

19 Sep 2014, 17:08 PM

I want to start with thanking all mapmakers for the tutorials (and now even streams!) with invaluable information for someone interested in starting making maps. I've read most tutorials and learned a lot about the WB tools.

After I've decided how the flow of the map and a general layout has been painted out I get stuck! Exactly how to use the splines/splats/tiles isn't the problem here. (Tutorials on how to use them are plenty.) The problem is that I don't know how to proceed really.

Here is an example of a map I've just started up.

Territory points are out, black areas will be inaccessible terrain and the hedges is where I'll have sight-blockers. At this point I feel like I know how the map will play-out and what kind of look I want to give it.

Where do I go from here? How do I go about creating maps efficiently?
Do I continue doing basic tiles etc fleshing out the map before I go into details, or should I simply start in one corner, creating the map sector by sector?

How do you develop your maps and how do you suggest I do it?
19 Sep 2014, 18:03 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

I knwo im extremely ineffecient in building maps but I like to go territory>base>roads>houses>farmfields>objects>splines>splats
Looking at your map you have the houses and roads already so i would go place some cars, bushes, caters, sandbags and sutff.
When you have your map filled with objects its much easier to fit the right splats and splines for it.

Somethign else, your map seems quite small for a 1v1. It just be the perspective but I feel if you place basebunkers they will be able to shoot at the nearby points

19 Sep 2014, 18:58 PM

That map basically only has the layout done. The buildings/objects are just temporary.

Omg, if the size is fucked I'm going to be so annoyed. Usually I try to go with 352x352ish. Maybe I did something stupid this time..
19 Sep 2014, 19:02 PM

6x7 32m-squares. (Playable 10x11) which means I created it as a 352x320 map. I thought that was OK size for 1v1 maps?
19 Sep 2014, 20:11 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Don't worry, your map size is absolutely fine for 1vs1! In fact, it may be a little on the large side.

Personally, once roads and buildings are placed into the territory design, I always paint the basic tiles in. Get a grasp of what textures will be used in what areas (such as roots and dirt near where you want forests, grass near fields, and dirt near roads), and then add splines and splats to complete the visuals. Objects always come last for me, once you've painted your canvas, so to speak!

Good work so far! You've come further than most ever manage!
19 Sep 2014, 21:20 PM

Thanks MB(!) your post was the reference about map size ;j Took me a while before I got it at first because I didn't know wtf terrain size was even necessary.

And this isn't actually my FIRST first map. I posted one for a competition, mostly for the feed back. However I abandoned that one like many others because I had learned new techniques for doing everything so I wanted to start anew. The example map shown in the picture will hopefully see completion.

Watching Stahlhagel and working on it right now. I like your idea with using basic splats first. Gonna work with that now.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★