Login

russian armor

Advanced Capture Technique but really a bug

19 Sep 2014, 16:35 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

CPU kinda screwed up my plan but you get the idea.
There are probably much better uses for this but this is the first that came up in my mind
Sorry for choppy framerate
19 Sep 2014, 16:41 PM

Only works to a degree since your units only count in one cap circle D:

That was introduced since some maps had circles so close (Semoisky) that you could easily be in both. Still #Abuse!!!
19 Sep 2014, 16:57 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Only works to a degree since your units only count in one cap circle D:

That was introduced since some maps had circles so close (Semoisky) that you could easily be in both. Still #Abuse!!!

Yeah that was a disappointment, would be ten times better then :p
20 Sep 2014, 16:46 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Here is a better video for it:
20 Sep 2014, 17:23 PM

Very interesting! I've noticed this behavior but could not reliably replicate it.
20 Sep 2014, 17:30 PM

This has been around since vCoH, or at least well known for 4-5 years if not more.
20 Sep 2014, 18:03 PM

How do you do that in COH2? :O
20 Sep 2014, 18:12 PM
Coder Red Badge

Just like in vCoH, I really don't see this as a problem that they need to fix. It's a neat little mechanic that has a lot of risk and a lot of reward. It gives players one more thing to use to differentiate themselves from others. No sense removing it just because it might be unintentional.
20 Sep 2014, 19:32 PM

Could possibly also be used to spread out your squads to avoid being one-shot by mines, tanks or artillery. Hmm.
20 Sep 2014, 19:38 PM

Please dont fix this
20 Sep 2014, 20:00 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2014, 18:03 PMPorygon
How do you do that in COH2? :O

just spam move commands. The leader will instantly follow but the other guys need to orient themself first or something which makes them turn in their place instead of moving
20 Sep 2014, 20:11 PM

I think it is a stupid thing and should be removed. But there are more serious bugs that need to get fixed before that!
20 Sep 2014, 21:36 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think it is a stupid thing and should be removed. But there are more serious bugs that need to get fixed before that!

Expect a hotfix then :snfPeter:
20 Sep 2014, 22:03 PM

Just tested it, much micro required than 4 steps vCOH capwalking, but definitely worth it.

- much faster capping
- "mine sweeper"
20 Sep 2014, 23:23 PM

This is hilarious, and considering you can't double-cap points, it doesn't seem that abusive. YET.

3 patches later someone is going to find some way to abuse this.
21 Sep 2014, 01:35 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2014, 18:12 PMInverse
Just like in vCoH, I really don't see this as a problem that they need to fix. It's a neat little mechanic that has a lot of risk and a lot of reward. It gives players one more thing to use to differentiate themselves from others. No sense removing it just because it might be unintentional.

Amazing what bullcrap even coh2.org can produce. I knew you could cap two sectors almost sequentially in coh1, but wasn't too sure how it was done. Well at least it gives fair game to all okw truck building crushing, cover crushing, troop pushing, and even more. Really gg all around. #Whogetsthebestabuse

How about fixing this crap? Like really, just fix this shit.
21 Sep 2014, 01:47 AM

Amazing what bullcrap even coh2.org can produce. I knew you could cap two sectors almost sequentially in coh1, but wasn't too sure how it was done. Well at least it gives fair game to all okw truck building crushing, cover crushing, troop pushing, and even more. Really gg all around. #Whogetsthebestabuse

One does not simply saying Inverse's wise words are bullcrap. :snfAmi:
21 Sep 2014, 02:22 AM
Coder Red Badge

People throw the word "abuse" around far too much. Do you think Relic, after knowing full well how vehicles were used to push infantry in vCoH, would design a faction around vehicle-based HQ buildings and not realize that those vehicles could be used to push infantry? Like it or not, it's an intended mechanic, and calling it "abuse" when someone uses it is petty and pathetic. If you don't like it, don't play the game. If Relic doesn't like it, they'll change it; until then, it's not "abuse", it's gameplay.

Capwalking isn't "abuse". It's an interesting use of gameplay mechanics that can provide you with an advantage in some select circumstances, but comes at extreme risk. If you capwalk and your opponent engages the lone infantryman away from the rest of his squad, that man is going to die extremely quickly and without dealing any damage to the opposing unit. Any engagement in the near future is now favoured for the non-capwalking player. It's simple risk and reward, and it forces players to make some interesting decisions. CoH2 is a game that absolutely needs more of those little interesting decisions.

Look back at the original Starcraft. 90% of the mechanics used in top-level play in that game were game engine quirks that players discovered and the developers didn't intend. Look at muta stacking: it's a game-defining mechanic that occurs because of a weird interaction with grouped units far apart from each other on the map. People didn't see that and scream "abuse"; they saw that and realized it could add a little bit of interesting diversity into the game, so they embraced it and figured out how to incorporate it into their own play.

People need to calm the fuck down with this "abuse" shit. If something is not intended, Relic will patch it out. Until then, if you find an interesting or unintended unit mechanic or interaction, use the fucking thing. The more complex the game gets, the more interesting it will be.
21 Sep 2014, 03:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Sep 2014, 02:22 AMInverse

Capwalking isn't "abuse". It's an interesting use of gameplay mechanics that can provide you with an advantage in some select circumstances, but comes at extreme risk. If you capwalk and your opponent engages the lone infantryman away from the rest of his squad, that man is going to die extremely quickly and without dealing any damage to the opposing unit. Any engagement in the near future is now favoured for the non-capwalking player. It's simple risk and reward, and it forces players to make some interesting decisions. CoH2 is a game that absolutely needs more of those little interesting decisions.

Lol, sorry but I can't agree. It would be a gameplay mechanic if there was a button that said: Spread out. The way it is right now, it is abuse of an unintended mechanic.

(Also there is no disadvantage to it, if you do it in the earlygame while the enemy can't reach your units anyway.)

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Sep 2014, 02:22 AMInverse
Until then, if you find an interesting or unintended unit mechanic or interaction, use the fucking thing.

This is the defintion of abuse.

If you want more interesting gameplay mechanics, I am all for it. But don't produce them out of bugs/abuses. Because these "features", because they were unintended, miss important design "rules". The biggest would be that they are not something that is intuitiv to new (or even old) players.
If there is something that truly adds to the Gameplay, then the Devs should take it, and implement it properly. Here for example with a button, or atleast a tipp/tutorial.

(Btw, I have no Idea what the fuck was going on with the Truckcrushing. But in the end, either they were incompetend in one way or the other, or they had a secret strategy how to deal with it, but instead of showing the community the strat, they decided it wasn't good for the game anyway.)
21 Sep 2014, 06:03 AM

This is the defintion of abuse.

Abuse is exploiting game breaking bugs or balance issues. Using p2w Tiger Ace back in the day when it was laughably absurd was abuse. Spamming SU85s a long time ago was abuse. Early day sniper cars was abuse. Free Panther call-in bug (vcoh) was abuse. Retreat to Captain bug (vcoh) was abuse. Cap walking is silly but its not a glaring game breaking problem like those other examples I listed. Whether Relic intended it or not is irrelevant, unless they decide to patch it out or label it a bannable exploit.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★