Login

russian armor

My thoughts on some doctrinal and nondoc units

18 Sep 2014, 18:03 PM

Hello guys, I just wanted to share my thoughts on some of COH2's doctrinal and nondoctrinal units.

Background

I. I only play Soviets in the 4v4 game mode. I haven’t touched any of the other factions but I hope you like my suggestions.

2. These are just my observations and thoughts.

3. Please don't say L2P noob and go play 1v1 and 2v2

4. I have not played the other factions, but please read my suggestions before saying crap like “play other factions before talking about balance noob!”

5. This is what I have thought of for now so it is not set in stone. I will be adding things if I think of more stuff

Premise and Goal

I wanted to suggest some changes to how some units are currently distributed through the factions. I think the game could use some restructuring to allow more commander-specific units to become nondoctrinal. I believe these changes could give players more freedom and offer radically new strategic choices. More commanders will also be viable because the critical units that players need will be taken out.

Moreover, I want to see all faction's core army choices as viable. Soviets should not be gimped into picking the right commander just to get some decent units. I think once all faction's core units are useful and balanced, we can truly see commanders shine in the game.

Changes
Soviets

1. Move the IS2 to T4 or place it in a new building (may be OP)
One of my goals is to strip important units away from specific commanders. This allows other commanders to be more useful because players are not locked into choosing a commander that has an IS2. I this this will improve balance in the game and the calls for nerfing late game Axis or buffing late game Allies AT. The IS2 will give the Soviets an access to a heavy tank in the late game. Balance the cost of it and have the same build time as the one in SP.

2. Move the T34/85 into T3 or make it an upgrade for the T34/76
It is baffling that one of the most ubiquitous and famous tanks of WW2 are a commander-specific call-ion. I think this is insane and ridiculous. Moving the T34/85 to T3 or making it an upgrade will greatly increase the strategic variability of the game. Players can choose to bring in a cheaper T34/76 or a more expensive T34/85. Having it as an upgrade could be an incentive to keep your tanks alive.
A. I imagine the 85mm upgrade costing some manpower+fuel or manpower+ammo

3. Replace some of the call-ins that I took out with different units/abilities like a T34/76 call-in
I am thinking of changing some of the call-ins into cheaper units or something like a “battlegroup” form COH1’s Rifle Doctrine. These would not be game-breakingly OP but would help compliment your army. These units could help add to a push or defend a crucial sector. My intention is to not to have the crazy units we have now that could swing a game drastically. Hopefully these changes could change the meta around and not make it so call-in reliant.

Ostheer
1. Turn the Tiger tank into a nondoctrinal unit
One of the most well-known and most fearsome tanks is in a commander?!?? I think this needs to be in Ostheer’s main arsenal. It is kind of sad that it is tied to a commander. This will give the Ostheer a heavy tank.

2. Move the Elefant tank into a nondoc unit
I read that this change existed in the beta versions of the game and it was very OP. I do not know the details but if it is a bad change then I am okay with this being a commander-specific.

3. Replace the Tiger call-in with new units perhaps?
I could see new units being added in lieu of the Tiger. Things such as the Hummel, Marder, or Hetzer, or another piece of artillery can be added. Obviously these units would be a lower CP call-in.

Americans
1. Move Jeep to nondoc unit
The beloved jeep form COH1 is tied to a commander!??! I think this is ridiculous. Might as well have riflemen tied to a commander. This could diversify the opening strategy of the American force instead of just riflemen only. This could make people happy that they can build different units or not face blobs of riflemen every time. The jeep could just be a scout unit that dishes out some DPS. It does not have to suppress units. This could make it a balanced unit.

OKW
1. Move KT into commander-specific
Okay, I argued for changing units into nondoc units but this is something that needs to change. I imagine the KT as being something like in COH1. This unit can turn the tide of a battle but needs to be supported.

2. Give OKW nondoc Tiger tank.
Now that the KT is tied to a commander, the OKW can get a Tiger tank to compensate. I think some kind of change to their existing tanks such as the Panther should accompany this as well. When I envision the Battle of the Bulge, I think of swarms of Panthers, Tigers, and assault guns crawling out of the Ardennes. I do not see many OKW players building Panthers, they usually have blobs of infantry and then a KT or Jagdtiger. I think these changes reflect the state of the German Army at the time of the Battle of the Bulge. They should be a little more reliant on armor in their gameplay. This mirrors the German armor breaking through the Allied lines for a last ditch effort to claim a victory a la Battle of the Bulge. This can diversify OKW play in 4v4 (don’t know about 1v1). I don’t exactly know the stats of the Panther, but perhaps the OKW should rely more on their Panthers and assault guns rather than their elite infantry.
A. This gives the OKW player a choice between which tanks to choose. It does give the possibly of a Tiger + KT which would be OP. I am wondering if there is a way to implement this without being broken. Perhaps nerfs on some late game infantry? Not sure really, but would be interesting.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to reading your comments
18 Sep 2014, 18:08 PM

Permanently Banned
U want a non doc IS-2, yet, u want kt to be doctrinal?

I am an allied fanboy. an I cant even agree with that..

No mention of pershing also...
18 Sep 2014, 18:13 PM

Obviously there will be balanced involved. This is just one suggestion I am thinking of. I am open to changing it.

The IS2 can be nerfed such as reduction in armor or having a long build time. I just can't see the KT as being a nondoctrinal unit. I think having them relying on Panthers and assault guns fits the Battle of the Bulge theme a bit more.

By that time, the Western German army rallied all their armored units together for a last ditch effort tot seize a decisive victory. The OKW panther can be changed to be cheaper so the OKW builds more of them
18 Sep 2014, 18:15 PM

Permanently Banned
I never considered the upgrade for T34 idea, that actually would be awesome. Maybe for like 150 munitions a piece? Or something like that? That, or make it like the upgrade for the 76mm gun on the sherman in CoH1, where it's a set MP/Fuel price but it upgrades all current/future models built. IS-2 As a non-doctrinal heavy though... that just seems a bit off. Too heavy/powerful, especially if T3485's became non-doctrinal.

Tiger would be iffy to make non-doctrinal for Wehrmacht, but possible I suppose, maybe if they made it a very expensive upgrade after all battle phases THEN the price of actually buying it, so P4s and Panthers dont lose favor due to their much lesser teching cost. But Elefant feels like an appropriate doctrinal unit.

Americans could use some changes, but I like the Jeep as doctrinal as it is. It preforms much better than the CoH1 jeep, and it's presence should be noted as such.

Hmm, I don't really think a KT and a Tiger together would be exactly fair. Not to mention it would make the panther seem useless.

Lots of interesting ideas, But I don't exactly agree with all of them.

18 Sep 2014, 21:54 PM

I never considered the upgrade for T34 idea, that actually would be awesome. Maybe for like 150 munitions a piece? Or something like that? That, or make it like the upgrade for the 76mm gun on the sherman in CoH1, where it's a set MP/Fuel price but it upgrades all current/future models built. IS-2 As a non-doctrinal heavy though... that just seems a bit off. Too heavy/powerful, especially if T3485's became non-doctrinal.

Tiger would be iffy to make non-doctrinal for Wehrmacht, but possible I suppose, maybe if they made it a very expensive upgrade after all battle phases THEN the price of actually buying it, so P4s and Panthers dont lose favor due to their much lesser teching cost. But Elefant feels like an appropriate doctrinal unit.

Americans could use some changes, but I like the Jeep as doctrinal as it is. It preforms much better than the CoH1 jeep, and it's presence should be noted as such.

Hmm, I don't really think a KT and a Tiger together would be exactly fair. Not to mention it would make the panther seem useless.

Lots of interesting ideas, But I don't exactly agree with all of them.

Yes it would have to come at a price. Perhaps manpower + fuel or ammo. It seems silly that a pretty basic medium tnak is commander-only. It seems logical to place the T34/85 in the T3 building or an upgrade. I picture it as something like COH1's Sherman upgrade.

I agree with what you said about the IS2, and thre KT and Tiger being fielded together
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★