Login

russian armor

why some units stay suppressed so long?

18 Sep 2014, 05:24 AM

Why do some units stay suppressed so long? Sometimes a unit will stay suppressed well after an mg has stopped firing at it. In other instances the suppression will stop soon after the mg has stopped firing. What accounts for this, and does it have anything to do with other units firing at the suppressed unit vs the mg firing only?
18 Sep 2014, 05:26 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

When a unit is suppressed or pinned, fire from other units will keep them suppressed longer, even after the MG stops.
18 Sep 2014, 05:28 AM

Units have an invisible suppression meter. The longer it's taken MG fire, the longer it takes to unsuppress. If it takes too long, the unit changes from suppressed to pinned.

The suppression recovers slowly and only when not fired at. If suppressed and being shot at by weak units (even if RE, or rear gunners for weapon teams), expect to be suppressed indefinitely.
18 Sep 2014, 06:04 AM

Thanks, so if a unit gets suppressed near an mg (close enough for mg crew to fire at it with their mp40s), and then the mg turns to fire at another unit, does that mean the fire from the mg crew will keep the unit suppressed?
18 Sep 2014, 06:15 AM

Also, sometimes units are suppressed for a very long time without reason.
You have to retreat them because they stay suppressed for more than a minute after combat.

Why? Cause relic.
18 Sep 2014, 06:29 AM
Patrion 27

You'll really get a kick when you see a unit that has been retreated while under suppression crawling back to the HQ.
18 Sep 2014, 06:51 AM

Cover is a large factor as well.

I am going to fudge numbers because I don't know the exact ones to demonstrate the idea:

Imagine that there are two forces working on a unit at a certain time.

Courage and Suppression.

Courage removes suppression every second.

Suppression builds up when bullets fly at you. Each MG bullet has more suppression than a normal bullet and they fire them quite fast.

Let's say an MG42 does 15 suppression every second. A riflemen squad gets pinned if it reaches 60 suppression. Finally every second it removes 5 suppression because it has 5 Courage.

Cover gives your troops more "Courage". A Riflemen squad in green cover might remove 10 suppression every second. It will recover quicker when suppressed and take far longer to get suppressed (because Courage is always removing suppression even when you are being fired on).

... That's the basic idea at least. The numbers are all made up but that's how the system works. Get your troops into cover to help them resist and remove suppression.

It's also important to note that accuracy doesn't matter for suppression at all. Nada. If an MG42 misses every shot it will still suppress. Just getting fired at is scary for troops. There's no randomness in how quick suppression happens. The amount of time does seem to vary but I usually attribute this to cover. Squads are often "partially" in cover unless you're microing well.
18 Sep 2014, 07:49 AM

You'll really get a kick when you see a unit that has been retreated while under suppression crawling back to the HQ.

Nothing's better than seeing shock troops crawl halfway back to HQ at sprinting speed. It was like watching bugs scatter after lifting a rock.
18 Sep 2014, 08:08 AM

Also, sometimes units are suppressed for a very long time without reason.
You have to retreat them because they stay suppressed for more than a minute after combat.

Why? Cause relic.

i havent seen this for a very, very long time now.
18 Sep 2014, 09:31 AM

I've seen RE troops suppress people even after their volley fire ended long ago. I actually lost 1 man in my gren squad because of that.
19 Sep 2014, 14:05 PM

I believe the rate at which units recover from suppression is different for each unit.

As in, the reason shocks can be so hard to suppress is that they recover from it so quickly, that it takes a bit for the tiny mg42 bursts to stack up enough.

Cover also affects this exponentially.

I just wish units in green cover wouldn't get suppressed and immediately crawl out of cover and ramp up the suppression.

Also, it's very challenging to get all members of a squad into cover. Usually one or two members decides to stand in the middle of a field instead, and they'll be the entity that absorbs enough damage and suppression to compromise the whole squad.
19 Sep 2014, 16:31 PM

Yeah, different squads have different tresholds to getting surpressed, and different recover rates.
19 Sep 2014, 18:45 PM

Also, it's very challenging to get all members of a squad into cover. Usually one or two members decides to stand in the middle of a field instead, and they'll be the entity that absorbs enough damage and suppression to compromise the whole squad.

its true, some pieces of green are hard to fit 6 men from a conscript onto, but u can keep right clicking behind the cover you often times can get your full squad behind it.

20 Sep 2014, 14:45 PM

Heh, having tinkered around with cover in worldbuilder a great deal, I've found that conscripts actually do a better job getting into cover than grens.

For some reason, even when there's ample cover, grenadiers always seem to have one guy stepping or two blocks away from cover. The map I've been working on had some red cover near a green cover wreck, and I could not find a way AT ALL to get the fourth gren to not stand in the red cover.

I eventually went back and had to edit the red cover so the green cover wasn't actually suicide.

But the yellow cover craters seem to fill up with conscripts easily, all in cover, but grens still insist on putting three of themselves together and the fourth goes off doing his own thing.

Which is probably why I have such a frustrating time with grenadiers. The fourth guy always seems to sabotage the positioning and cover of the entire squad, and the other three are always packed together so tightly that the first explosive will reduce the squad down to one guy: the guy that's standing in red cover like an idiot.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★