Login

russian armor

Adapt or wait?

18 Sep 2014, 05:19 AM

Suppose there's a unit out there that you somehow just KNOW will get tuned down soon. As in, it will be much easier to beat in a week or two. Do you learn how to beat it as it is, or just wait for it to change?

Examples of this: Katyushas for that one week two months ago, ass engies until recently.

I thought about defeating ass engies a bit before they became less powerful. Even though it's no longer relevant, it was kinda cool to figure out what to do about them.

18 Sep 2014, 05:22 AM

I'll go for #Adapt :D. Every unit can be countered in this game imo...its only a matter of whether its easy to counter or hard to counter. And by adapting to a unit when it is strong, it further improves your skill in countering it when the unit gets tuned down.
18 Sep 2014, 05:23 AM

Learn to beat it as-is, and when it's nerfed, you'll have learned a lot.

18 Sep 2014, 05:33 AM

Somethings are too messed up to have a proper counter. Like with the katyusha over buff, there was not much you could do as OKW except avoid making a building out side your base (that's of course if the map is not small, otherwise it would not matter).

Those kinds of things alter the game in a very bad way, limiting your options and making the game boring. And that is pretty much the same situation with Kubel right now. It forces the Sov to go t1 and the USF to stall for a m20. Not much fun.
18 Sep 2014, 05:41 AM
Patrion 15

Always more fun and satisfying beating common strats than just waiting for the patch that fits your playstyle. You'll learn how to counter so much more and have a better understanding of the game if you get out of your comfort zone and are forced to deal with things in a different way.
18 Sep 2014, 05:48 AM

I definitely agree with the sentiment that adapting makes for a more interesting experience even if you know what you are adapting ti will change soon anyway.

That said, how far would you take it? What if it's not just one thing that's imbalanced, but rather the entire dynamic of balance that suddenly gets thrown off? I'm talking about a March Deployment kind of scenario.
18 Sep 2014, 05:49 AM
Donator 33

^Yeah I've mostly enjoyed taking this approach. Play the faction that feels disadvantaged and slowly become a better player by slogging it out.

In team games it's a bit different though because if most of the experienced players are currently sticking to one faction then it's hard to draw teammates around your level when playing the other side. Then it becomes more irritating than challenging and you don't learn as much from this kind of match.
18 Sep 2014, 05:50 AM

Always more fun and satisfying beating common strats than just waiting for the patch that fits your playstyle. You'll learn how to counter so much more and have a better understanding of the game if you get out of your comfort zone and are forced to deal with things in a different way.

1. Is it a common start or a broken start?

2. In the case of USF, is there allot of different styles/options to play them?

3. Are you saying relic's mistakes and poor balancing are the players responsibility to deal with?
18 Sep 2014, 05:51 AM

Unless you play USF, adapt.

If you play USF, change army and adapt.
18 Sep 2014, 09:22 AM

I choose adapt and wait. Much better for me.
18 Sep 2014, 09:31 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

You play the side that has the OP unit, then you can decide if you want an easy or fun game. :D
22 Sep 2014, 19:23 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

depends how broken the situation is. If a unit literally one shots your whole army and base as soon as it hits the field, you can't adapt to that. That's an extreme example obviously but some things are not worth even trying to deal with.
22 Sep 2014, 20:02 PM
Donator 22

wait and hope is very limited fun :-)
22 Sep 2014, 20:23 PM

Adapt, so that when the next change to the game throws everything off you have a more furious passion of things being imbalanced again.
22 Sep 2014, 20:35 PM

As an RTS gamer, you should pride yourself on adapting!
22 Sep 2014, 21:52 PM

Get Angry, adapt, and join the bears.
22 Sep 2014, 23:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Sep 2014, 19:23 PMRomeo
depends how broken the situation is. If a unit literally one shots your whole army and base as soon as it hits the field, you can't adapt to that. That's an extreme example obviously but some things are not worth even trying to deal with.

As a top ten player, have you ever felt this way about a balance issue in CoH2? Not to go into anything specific as this isn't a balance thread; just curious how people at different levels approach things.

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Sep 2014, 21:52 PMNapalm
Get Angry, adapt, and join the bears.

:P

I glanced at your recruiting thread - for a non-elitist clan you guys do have an awfully high minimum hours played requirement :(

22 Sep 2014, 23:17 PM

I glanced at your recruiting thread - for a non-elitist clan you guys do have an awfully high minimum hours played requirement :(

We just want to make sure we have people in the clan that are as passionate about the title as we are. If you are up and coming and playing constantly feel free to throw me a message on steam.
23 Sep 2014, 07:13 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

As a top ten player, have you ever felt this way about a balance issue in CoH2? Not to go into anything specific as this isn't a balance thread; just curious how people at different levels approach things.

I'm top 10 2v2 random, I'm certainly not top 10 1v1 material at all. In 2v2 random, usually you play against people who are not so good. So if you are skilled enough, even when the game is not so balanced you can win. Of course you need a competent teammate though.

In this patch though, I really do think playing as USF in 1v1 is a total waste of your time. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you face a skilled OKW on Langreskaya, Kharkov, or Crossing, you will lose every time. The game will start out hard and gradually become impossible, or if you make zero mistakes, it will start out hard and stay hard. I don't think it is really worth the frustration.
23 Sep 2014, 09:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Sep 2014, 07:13 AMRomeo

I'm top 10 2v2 random, I'm certainly not top 10 1v1 material at all. In 2v2 random, usually you play against people who are not so good. So if you are skilled enough, even when the game is not so balanced you can win. Of course you need a competent teammate though.

In this patch though, I really do think playing as USF in 1v1 is a total waste of your time. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you face a skilled OKW on Langreskaya, Kharkov, or Crossing, you will lose every time. The game will start out hard and gradually become impossible, or if you make zero mistakes, it will start out hard and stay hard. I don't think it is really worth the frustration.

I'm not sure it's a complete waste of time playing 1vs1 at every level. You're still improving your play style. Of course sometime people will just abuse and you'll just leave after 5 minutes, but not all of them. Maybe at top50, everyone is abusing the unit to maintain his rank.

But I'm ranked around 800-900 and I have plenty of room to improve and, since I'm pretty confident the abusive unit will be tone down next patch, the improving effect will be double:
- I'll be able to react faster and % of chance to counter the unit and opponent playstyle will simply rise.
- Opponent will need to adapt with the nerfed unit:
1- They stop using it and need to found a new BO in which they feel confident.
2- they still use it and need to change their behaviors toward the unit new capabilities which gives you room to dominate until they forget their old behaviors.

I'm following that same rule when my faction has an OP unit: I try to avoid using it at all cost.

Now if the unit isn't tone down next patch, yes it's time to change faction or game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★