Login

russian armor

Option to ditch the MG/Mortar

18 Sep 2014, 02:50 AM

Anyone else experience this?

(Places Maxim or Mortar Team into place)

*rattatattat*

(Enemy approaches)

"shoot i better retreat my team before the enemy gets too close"

*ratattatat*

(Gunner dies, and the next person takes the place of the gunner)

*rattatatt*

(The next gunner dies, and another person comes and takes his place)

"Holy crap just leave the weapon!!!!"

*rattatatat*

Game - "YOUR SQUAD OF INFANTRY HAVE BEEN KILLED"

>:(
18 Sep 2014, 02:53 AM

The weapon team has formed a special bond with their weapon - and they will die fighting - i mean standing doing nothing and looking like idiots as they get killed - by their crew weapon. But the last one alive is a traitor and runs away.
18 Sep 2014, 03:03 AM

The pack-up timer should stop at its current progress and not reset when the gunner is killed.
18 Sep 2014, 03:08 AM
Patrion 14

The pack-up timer should stop at its current progress and not reset when the gunner is killed.

Don't you know that all soviet equipment has springs which cause the weapon to spring back into a setup position when the "packer" dies? Another example of a person who fails to understand the intricacies of the Maxim gun.

On topic though, would you get a basic infantry squad? Or what when you drop the weapon?
18 Sep 2014, 03:08 AM

I think its fine as it is. You gotta retreat earlier than other threats when smgs or assault rifles start getting close.

The thing they need to fix is when the weapon carrier dies there is a bug that sometims causes the team to stop retreating.
18 Sep 2014, 03:11 AM

An option to abandon the weapon would make sense, at least in my opinion. You'd get some kind of crew I suppose. I doubt that will ever be added, though.

For now if they just fixed the maxim bug, that'd be swell.
nee
18 Sep 2014, 10:24 AM

There's the question of the unit that abandons the weapon though: should they become pioniers, grenadiers, etc? Especially if they were a recrew of an abandoned one.

Would also be prone to abuse: want two Panzergrenadiers? pick up that mortar and then abandon it. Reinforce via nearby halftrack. Then pwn nearby tank.

But I think there is one way of getting at this: if the unit is reduced to 1 man or the weapon is destroyed, the crew automatically retreats to the HQ (as opposed to running away from the map), and can be used as regular infantry but cannot pick up weapons or crew other weapons: it has its respective weapon as an upgrade to regain its original purpose.
18 Sep 2014, 16:04 PM

Perhaps it becomes a "support weapons squad". It would retain all the same stats as the infantry that man the support weapon. That way, they could be used as crappy combat troops, but would primarily used to recrew the weapon.
18 Sep 2014, 19:42 PM

When decide to leave your weapon team weapon in battle and retreat just the units then they should act weak like they are usually.

You should however be able to reinforce the weapon in your base at a cost of around 50 muni's or something around that.
19 Sep 2014, 00:59 AM

Abandoning weapons would require a relinquishing the function of squads splitting when crewing. It would also require some mechanic of veterancy transference.

For Soviets, I think this makes great sense. It's what I'd hoped would be apart of their core design, what with conscripts supposedly being weak, replaceable squads. Those six man weapon crew squads would have the related stats and gain veterancy for crewing their appropriate weapon, but would otherwise perform as conscripts.

Support crew veterancy retention would be more valuable, since the crew wouldn't be spirit linked to their weapon. Also, a weapon exploding wouldn't just kill everyone, just leave them without a weapon to crew.

I've suggested this since closed beta.
19 Sep 2014, 05:31 AM

I don't think this could be implemented without it being abused for 'extra' squads.

The only way I could see it work is if ANY units (besides original weapon crews) that re-crew the weapon would be magically transformed into original weapon crew units, rather than staying as whatever they were before.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 35
Germany 14
Korea, Republic Of 2
Germany 46

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %