Login

russian armor

New Jaeger Light Infantry v. Pathfinders

17 Sep 2014, 22:20 PM
Patrion 14

OK, so I want to take a look at the comparison between the newly changed Jaeger Light Infantry and the good old pathfinders, and compare their usefulness on the battlefield.

Pathfinders:
-290mp cost.
-2 scoped rifles that crit soldiers below 40% HP
-2 M1A1 carbines
-Cloak in cover
-Lay Beacons
-High Sightrange

JLI:
-300mp cost.
-3 Kar98k rifles
-1 scoped G43 rifle with crit on units below 70% HP
-Cloak in cover with Vet
-Booby Trap Point
-Spawn in ambient buildings
-Sprint
-Infiltration Nades
-Scavenge
-Cost a bit more per entity
-High Sightrange

Looking at these units as a whole, I really don't see ho these two units are balanced at all in terms of their cost/ effectiveness. They are similar in most aspects, but the Jaegers are more powerful in every single way, at a slightly higher cost. (Although realistically the callin cost difference is more than made up for by their ability to spawn from ambient buildings.) I would like to know what all of you think about these two units, whether they over/ underperform, or are over/ underpriced.
17 Sep 2014, 22:32 PM

Not to mention they are both 4 men squads, which is makes the pathfinders quite a tad more vulnerable.

But as I have said before, it does not matter what unit you compare the JLI to, the JLI infantry is always better for cost.
17 Sep 2014, 22:38 PM

Well when you frame it like that the Pathfinders look pretty bad :(
17 Sep 2014, 22:43 PM
Patrion 14

Well, thinking about it, the beacons do allow you to see enemy units on the minimap, so I guess the pathfinders also give you a way to spy on flanks, but even then they are extremely cost inefficient when compared to JLI or even riflemen. I would support a pathfinder change to a 2 man squad that can German sniper camo with their crit rifles, to help them actually infiltrate, or the ability to spawn in ambient buildings. They are just about worthless in their intended role as a behind enemy lines scout that they were meant to be. The only way they can deploy a beacon behind enemy lines at this point on most maps is by charging your army into the area, negating the "infiltration" aspect.
18 Sep 2014, 07:21 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

If they could use their own beacons and be slightly cheaper they'd be perfect
18 Sep 2014, 07:30 AM

Point? The Scavenger doesnt have any other infantry, the Airborne has a shitload of em. Pathfinders are there to support the main force, not the other way around.
The jaegers are one of the very few points of that doc since they get an ostwind(???) and a extremely nerfed artillery barrage. This Doc has become garbage.
18 Sep 2014, 07:52 AM

Well you are missing the synergy with paratroopers.
Why would you ever build more than one squad of pathfinders?

So while it is true, I don't think it really matters.
18 Sep 2014, 08:05 AM

also i think the americans benefit much more greatly from the increased sight range as all indirect fire becomes much more accurate when shooting and barraging at units in sight compared to out of sight.

also you have to also note that the JLI sniper shots have to hit the low hp entity to execute, if it misses then theres no execute and you have to wait again to shoot. its not like a sniper where every shot is guaranteed. pathfinders have a higher chance to hit since there are 2 garands but have a lower execute threshold.

please keep in mind what the synergy and role is between these units, you can use pathfinders as dedicated spotters since they have hold fire, while jaegers will automatically engage infantry making them less effective in that role.
18 Sep 2014, 08:44 AM

This does seem to be missing some facts...

There's a CP difference between these two units. CP1 for Pathfinders, CP2 (3?) for Jaegers.

Beacons are pretty good. They give minimap information while they're alive and allow for reinforcement for Paratrooper squads.

That being said I think Pathfinders could use a little something.

That little something is Sniper camoflague at all times.

Look a the new Stormtroopers squad for Encirclement Doctrine. This squad can stay invisible while moving as long as they stick to cover. Just like a sniper. They have Bundled Grenades and cool weapon unlocks. They're super fun and seem fairly balanced.

Give that same style of camouflage to pathfinders. Both Pathfinders: IR Pathfinders from Recon Support as well as the Airborne's Pathfinders. They have grenades. They are a vulnerable long range squad. This would give both squads a little extra durability and maneuverability as well as allowing them to be superb scouting units. It would boost their combat effectiveness marginally. They'd be a lot of fun to use as well if they could slink around a little.
18 Sep 2014, 08:54 AM

JLI:

Both Pathfinders and Jaegers cost the exact same 38mp per man to reinforce
Jaegers have 0.8 received accuracy straight off when spawning
Jaegers have higher vet bonuses (like 1.4 accuracy compared to 1.2 on pathfinders etc)

But Pathfinders do only require half as much exp for levels. Even with how little damage they tend to do they vet pretty quickly, which is nice.
18 Sep 2014, 09:17 AM

As a raw combat unit the JLI is better as a support unit the pathfinders are better. neither unit can be spammed however and need volks/rifles to work so i find the balance fine at the moment.
18 Sep 2014, 12:14 PM

Old JLI were arguably even worse. They had everything as before bar infiltration grenades, only their DPS was through the roof. These guys could tear through any squad you pleased at mid to close range.

With the changes, they're now just the OKW equivalent of pathfinders. Sniper crits and long view range.

Their sniper crit is much better, their utility (one beacon vs. four different abilities) is much better, their actual damage output is much better, IIRC their recieved accuracy is better and they get better vet. Etc. etc. etc.

For a 10MP difference, the power ratio is staggering. And I appreciate that JLI have been taken from utter filth into a new role, and retained some of that cost efficiency, but it really does rub in how poor Pathfinders are in comparison.

Hell, JLI are often worth investing in two squads of. Pathfinders? Never. One set of beacons and spotting and they're pretty much done.
18 Sep 2014, 13:52 PM

Hm. Forgive me if I still think that the FUEL HANDICAP is justifying all you guys are considered to be "OP". Why does it matter if JLI perform better than Patfinders? Why does it matter Fallschirm are such usefull units? Why does it matter Obersoldaten are performing better than most of Allied infantry? Just build some fucking tanks already and you will overcome all these Allied "weaknesses" and win by a mile. Why is it so hard? What, you want to have the capacity to build as many vehicles you want AND to have better or equivalent infantry also? Don't you think this wouldn't be ok?
Oh, and if an OKW player doesn't allow you do build a tone of tanks, maybe it's because he is a skillfull guy or because you suck at COH2. It's as simple as that.
18 Sep 2014, 14:07 PM

OK, so I want to take a look at the comparison between the newly changed Jaeger Light Infantry and the good old pathfinders, and compare their usefulness on the battlefield.

Pathfinders:
-290mp cost.
-2 scoped rifles that crit soldiers below 40% HP
-2 M1A1 carbines
-Cloak in cover
-Lay Beacons
-High Sightrange

JLI:
-300mp cost.
-3 Kar98k rifles
-1 scoped G43 rifle with crit on units below 70% HP
-Cloak in cover with Vet
-Booby Trap Point
-Spawn in ambient buildings
-Sprint
-Infiltration Nades
-Scavenge
-High Sightrange

Looking at these units as a whole, I really don't see ho these two units are balanced at all in terms of their cost/ effectiveness. They are similar in most aspects, but the Jaegers are more powerful in every single way, at a slightly higher cost. (Although realistically the callin cost difference is more than made up for by their ability to spawn from ambient buildings.) I would like to know what all of you think about these two units, whether they over/ underperform, or are over/ underpriced.

It's a well-written post but I don't think you should compare individual units. Compare the whole doctrine. And you'd probably need to factor in each faction's base infantry too. Rifles > Volks. If both elite inf call-ins in AB were superior or or equal to JLI, that would combine with USF's core infantry superiority and there would be a serious problem.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 62
unknown 17
Germany 16

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak