Login

russian armor

CoHO, bulletin crafting, profitability

18 Sep 2014, 12:03 PM

Totally, totally broken and insanely unbalanced.

Since you guys are comparing CoH to big titles, why cant CoH be more like Starcraft instead of LoL/Dota?

I'm pretty sure that's the way to go, not this MMO F2P thing...

18 Sep 2014, 12:16 PM

Broken, Crap ? Are you serious ? COHO had was the most popular by far of all Coh games.... Was in fact too popular... So popular that they need to increase the server farm, but the economic model wasn't ready yet and THQ was already in bad shape, so they had to drop it.... stop spreading crap plz.
18 Sep 2014, 12:38 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Broken, Crap ? Are you serious ? COHO had was the most popular by far of all Coh games.... Was in fact too popular... So popular that they need to increase the server farm, but the economic model wasn't ready yet and THQ was already in bad shape, so they had to drop it.... stop spreading crap plz.

because was FREE.
18 Sep 2014, 12:42 PM

Wow, a full server, big deal.
That doesnt mean that THQ was having a huge profit, because it wasnt, otherwise they wouldn't have closed CoH O and started developing CoH 2.

And I dont know any oficial numbers for CoH O players, maybe their servers supported just the amount of people that is playing coh 2 right now, maybe it was even lower, that is not a lot of people.
18 Sep 2014, 12:43 PM

When COH: O entered open beta, Company of heroes was already 4 years old and being overshadowed by Starcraft 2.
Blizzard is far too big to compete using the same transaction model. The only reason CoH: O was popular is: It was free.

It was a failure, relic admitted it helped bankrupt THQ.

Company of Heroes: Online had an absolutely solid concept behind it. But the execution was poor. The balance was incredibly poor. It was not profitable and it died for a reason. It was an inferior product.
18 Sep 2014, 12:44 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

When i tried CoHO i immediately felt like it wasn't made for the competitive scene, it felt like a loads of fun in 3v3 or 4v4, but the super units ruined it for me.
18 Sep 2014, 12:45 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

That coho interface looks so overcrowded and crap
18 Sep 2014, 12:48 PM

Totally, totally broken and insanely unbalanced.

Since you guys are comparing CoH to big titles, why cant CoH be more like Starcraft instead of LoL/Dota?

I'm pretty sure that's the way to go, not this MMO F2P thing...

I'm mostly comparing it to that due to it being free, unlike SC2.

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Sep 2014, 12:38 PMnigo

because was FREE.

Which was a good thing.

Wow, a full server, big deal.
That doesnt mean that THQ was having a huge profit, because it wasnt, otherwise they wouldn't have closed CoH O and started developing CoH 2.

And I dont know any oficial numbers for CoH O players, maybe their servers supported just the amount of people that is playing coh 2 right now, maybe it was even lower, that is not a lot of people.

That's because CoHO had a short run and was a long-term plan game, like Dota2, LoL, Sc2, only problem was the timing of it's release, when THQ was going bankrupt, couldn't support it in the long term, and when SEGA took over they only wanted "short-term" plans that made them a quick return on their investment, thus CoH2 was released. CoHO's player-base expanded rapidly after a couple months of it's release, overloading servers, and acquiring numbers between 8k-10k, which is higher than CoH2 atm, which took over a year to acquire even close to that, which took CoHO only a couple months, sure there might have been very "small" balance problems, but eventually everything could've been even better.

That coho interface looks so overcrowded and crap

I disagree, it was actually the smoothest interface to use, unlike CoH2's, which is a lag-fest, this was optimized to perfection, and actually has pretty much a similar look to Dota2s, Sc2s, and LoL's interface. I personally loved it.
18 Sep 2014, 12:56 PM

It wasn't profitable for THQ/Relic because the premium options were really poor and there was no reason to buy anything.
18 Sep 2014, 20:26 PM

Admittedly their Charge model was not very well thought out - they had poor value for your dollar. Something like the Schultz's panther cost something ridiculous like 25 cents per game because it required so much charges to resupply. There was also a balance where you could equip a perfectly sustaining loadout and still be net positive, thus making the game perpetually free for all players except those who were bad at math.

Infantry doc was OP, Airborne doc was OP, Armor doc was OP, Blitz doc was OP, Terror doc had all the trolls, Defensive was OP. When you buff everything to the logical extreme, it was a slugfest of raging proportions, and that made it extremely fun. God damn I miss those times.

There was also a hero called the Iron Horse Sniper that was never released outside the Asian market, and it was a 2-man sniper team. Back then everyone knew it would be a bad idea, and look what we got in CoH2.
23 Sep 2014, 09:53 AM

Interesting how the thread developed, kinda happy to see many people miss CoHO. I personally liked it because everything was so overpowered that it actually worked well. I remember having loads of fun in 3vs3 and 4vs4, not even caring of loosing or winning, just having fun.

Currently I find it hard to judge what Relic is up to, their Facebook and Twitter is rarely updated and they never show up on forums to talk and share. Really love how you can find dozens of replies from devs on Wasteland 2 forums, makes you actually respect them a whole lot more.

My best guess is that Relic is currently working on USF campaign to appeal more to USF audience. They are really good at what they do, I just hope they can realize that the real money is in the multilayer scene.
23 Sep 2014, 10:09 AM

COHO was a great concept but Relic failed to monetize it. I had some much fun playing it, same if facing Imba commanders with OP abilities.
I also think the main Designer died in a car accident during the beta phase and it didn't help to improve the balance aspect.

But it was so fun!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 27
Germany 634

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak