Login

russian armor

(2v2) Runway Eight.

17 Sep 2014, 14:04 PM

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=314650230

Once a depot for delivering supplies and providing air support to the frontlines, this runway has been rendered useless from the struggle for control: a strip of ruin and rubble. Though robbed of strategic value, the enemy still occupies the area, and our mission is to drive the enemy out; wherever they may be.

Version 0.3

Stuff to be done, I will update this map in a few versions, but I have reached a point where I need people other than myself to play and test this map out for balance.

In the last update I was able to give the fields and roadways much more flavor and character, as well as give the runway and roads better edging and transitions. Building foundations and rubble were also improved.

I also updated some of the center wreckage to properly block sight/shots as well as provide cover. (Some wrecks apparently had no hitboxes, and others provided no cover.)

It seems that the strategic points that I was using for the road could not be decapped once capped. They're now normal resource points.

OOB Aesthetics
-Assorted buildings, build OOB railway running through and alongside border of map. Other than the train station, buildings will probably be OOB panels.

Team bases
-Need to determine if map is suitable for 3v3
-Need to add assorted defenses and cover to be set to prevent easy base rushing
-Need to decorate and edge roads throughout

Runway crash skidmarks
-If necessary, need to add grooves in the runway from crashing aircraft skidding. Need to determine if they should be merely aesthetic, or deep enough grooves to be considered cover.

Runway/roadway tracks
-Plane tracks scattered in OOB, but wrecked vehicle tracks and roadtrack splines need to be tackled.

Corner sectors
-Dependent on optimization for degree and depth of decoration.
-Need to clean up tiles and pathways

Gameplay:

-The roads have very large cap zones. Hold the road, hold the point. There are only two points that connect either base to the runway resources. This map was designed before Close the Pocket, which may place the map design as a whole in a compromising position. I may relook this design later, and perhaps add a third point in the middle of the road, but this will likely only be in the case of 3v3 accomodation.
-Corner sectors are currently Fuel and Munitions points. These territories are somewhat isolated from combat and are kind of freebie points. As such, standard territory points in these corners would've equated to the same resource income for each side of the runway when capped. In addition, the fuel and munition points cannot be OPed, which is fitting for their relative isolation.
-I designed this map to punish absent minded blobbing and blind attack moves. Positioning units in cover and tactical advances are incentivized for this map. The centre runway is rife with red cover, which will make infantry advances a more thoughtful task.
-I sought to preserve the mantra from vCoH: Never cap under fire! As such, resource points on the runway are in a compromising position for attempting to capture territory in battle. The victory points have small cap zones and no territory attached to them, removing their potential as cut-off points.

Feel free to check this map out and see what you think. I'm still in the process of making the map more sightly, but it is functionally all there. I have more or less reached a wall in development where I need to see how it functions in a multiplayer environment, and how well optimized for the task it is.

I don't want to make the OOB or edges of the map full of objects that will slow down map performance if I am already reaching a limit.

I appreciate your feedback! Thank you and enjoy!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★