Login

russian armor

The buffed Assault Engineers

11 Sep 2014, 14:29 PM

How do you guys feel about the new Assault Engies? after looking at the patch changes i went a tried
them for around 12 games, And i feel like they act like Shocks-lite.

For a very cheap cost (280) you get a unit that when used properly just absolutely wrecks things in close quarters combat.

I personally tried several games were i used them as main infantry and it worked out for me quite
well, I would build them straight to LT and rush flak-traks its been devastating.

In contrast when compared to Assault Grens, I feel like Ass Grens were left in the dust.
All this on a unit that repairs, Lays mines, Builds defenses, And has a flamethrower upgrade.

Ive also noticed that their flamethrower blows up at a very frequent rate, Not sure if this is intended but you sneeze at it and it blows up. Much faster then flame pio.
(could be consistent bad rng on my part)

With all that said how do you guys feel about them?
11 Sep 2014, 14:39 PM

Pretty much old 240 mp assgrens (i know, assengies cost 280 but their cost same as old assgren cost have 0 reflecton of unit performance) prior nerfs with demo charge.

Relic balance.
11 Sep 2014, 14:44 PM

As i remember that was a 24 hr nerf, Barely got to test those ones.
11 Sep 2014, 14:51 PM

Honestly I think their combat stats are in an OK spot. Theyre really strong in close range but thats how they should be. They drop fairly quickly when 2 or more units focus firing them. Instead I'd rather see them see in an MP increase to 300 or 310 and have a longer call-in cooldown so they cant be spammed at the start of the game.
11 Sep 2014, 15:14 PM

I think it should also be mentioned that to deal with kubel's i had to bait them over the little mines, or surround the kubel (much harder) so OKW has a much more easy time to deal with them then OST.
11 Sep 2014, 18:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I agree with lemon. A small cost/cooldown increase wouldn't hurt.
11 Sep 2014, 18:32 PM

They feel like pre-nerf Sturmpios: they rape anything in a heartbeat at close range.
11 Sep 2014, 18:35 PM

Permanently Banned
They feel like pre-nerf Sturmpios: they rape anything in a heartbeat at close range.

a doctrinal unit better rape all at close range
11 Sep 2014, 18:41 PM

a doctrinal unit better rape all at close range

Doctrinal units shouldn't be simply better because they are doctrinal, but they should give you additional flexibility/options to further supplement your core army. That means they should be good for specific situations or strategies, but they shouldn't be superior to core units overall. Otherwise everyone will only use doctrinal units.

We have that issue already in several areas, especially tanks because they let you avoid teching.

I say that regardless of this specific unit, I haven't seen this unit a lot yet myself after the patch and cannot speak about how balanced it is, I just wanted to reply to this argument.
11 Sep 2014, 19:53 PM

They should be more expensive (290-300 mp) if they're going to have those stats. It's a bit too easy to move them around in pairs and wreck basically anything but a Kubel or a well placed MG42.
11 Sep 2014, 19:57 PM

these guys are excellent at point blank range, nothing more, if they get to that range just retreat
11 Sep 2014, 20:20 PM

these guys are excellent at point blank range, nothing more, if they get to that range just retreat

Tell that to those guys equipped with Flamethrower and Obers MG34 which just wrecked some poor Green Squads ;)

Assault Engineers
11 Sep 2014, 21:54 PM

I like that their useful now but i think they may be too cheap.
And if we are going to give them those kind of stat boosts to be a dangerous close combat unit like shocks then shouldn't assault grens be equally as deadly? They cost the same.

Kinda going out on a limb here and will say that another advantage is the mines and flamethrower.
Flamethrower allows them to be a effective urban unit were assault grens are okayish at it, Maybe give assault grens Mod.24 stun nade so it can clear garrisons without costing a ton of muni for each building?
11 Sep 2014, 22:08 PM

Good suggestions.
11 Sep 2014, 22:28 PM
Patrion 15

I played many games after the patch and I've been using them as my main infantry.

Those 4 Engineers just wipe everything if you use them carefully, they even kill retreating units in the first minutes of the game. If you flank a kubelwagon he is gone in no time and you can also win a 1v1 situation versus Sturmpioneers. I did that last thing in different games and situations.

Not to mention that you can lure enemies to a Demo and wipe them all too.

I've been able to finish games in 4 to 6 minutes and I'm not a good player at all compared to some of you for sure. I'm winning games thanks to them and I was in negative ratio in 1v1.

They may be too powerful now in my opinion but I'll enjoy using them while they are that good.
11 Sep 2014, 22:37 PM

i think the patch needs to be out longer before any real good suggestions can be made. Not everyone in the game uses the coh2 forums or keeps up with balance changes. People are still figuring out whats new and expirementing with new things based on the changes.

11 Sep 2014, 22:41 PM

before patch, ass engies were totally useless vs everything, now they are buffed and i believe they are working as ass grens but they get better with late game (and flamer upgrade)
11 Sep 2014, 22:45 PM

before patch, ass engies were totally useless vs everything, now they are buffed and i believe they are working as ass grens but they get better with late game (and flamer upgrade)

I would agree but ass engies have better early game, Better late game, More utility and cost the same.
I think there is something fundamentally wrong with that if ass grens cost the same.
12 Sep 2014, 00:01 AM

Just got wrecked by AEs. Blob 3-5 squads, then A-move. They can't be killed at range by volks (yeah, never got to the Obersoldaten point), and once they get to medium-close range they will kill anything in less than 3 seconds. It's ridiculous, they are way better than pre-nerf Sturmpios...

Can provide replay if anyone interested...
12 Sep 2014, 00:07 AM

AEs are OVERBUFFED. They need a cost increase. Thats all I got to say about that...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 59
Germany 33
United States 4
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %