Login

russian armor

Petition: Fix Old Patch Replays

11 Sep 2014, 01:46 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I would like to start a petition for the fixing of replays that are from past patches. It's huge shame people can't watch the most epic games that have ever been played. Please make this a priority Relic!
11 Sep 2014, 01:58 AM
Benefactor 115

will require a complete overhaul of the game engine and would take a lot of resources in doing so.
11 Sep 2014, 02:05 AM

In a perfect world, I'd say YES DO IT!
Considering that they already are stretched really thin with quite a lot of people working on SP and besides that the other features like Obs mode and Warspoils also need attention. Additionally, you know how bad the performance is and how buggy the game is currently.
No, definitely no. No access to old replays is not great, but it's not a necessity right now. I'd rather have them fix / improve the current features and performance than add dozens of half-working ones. I want a game I can play well and enjoy, not something that allows me to watch replays which bug out.

Edit:
Besides what Ipkai said. It would require the whole engine to be remade as this one does not support it.
11 Sep 2014, 03:05 AM

Post it on youtube. Immortalized forever.
11 Sep 2014, 04:36 AM

/singed heheehheee
11 Sep 2014, 05:45 AM

As a caster, this would be a godsend. Likelyhood of this happening. -10/10
11 Sep 2014, 05:48 AM

Yep, I sign too!
11 Sep 2014, 16:20 PM
Patrion 15

I can't even see the replays I saved the night after the patch. They don't appear to be loaded so I don't know what's wrong with that part of the game.
11 Sep 2014, 16:29 PM

Permanently Banned
This game have more important problem then replays.
11 Sep 2014, 16:31 PM

I still don't understand why they can't just save old AttribArchives in the game folder and load them according to the replay version.
11 Sep 2014, 16:54 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

This is the first improvement that should make
11 Sep 2014, 19:57 PM

will require a complete overhaul of the game engine and would take a lot of resources in doing so.

in all likelihood the current engine would support watching replays of older version with very minor tweaks... the downside: you would have to have a complete patch history installed, which would very likely amount to high double digit, possibly low triple digit gigabytes of "wasted space".

there are of course alternatives, but without a complete overhaul of at least the replay system, all would still have the problem of not having values for old patches
11 Sep 2014, 20:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2014, 19:57 PMcr4wler

in all likelihood the current engine would support watching replays of older version with very minor tweaks... the downside: you would have to have a complete patch history installed, which would very likely amount to high double digit, possibly low triple digit gigabytes of "wasted space".

The file that contains all unit stats for a given game version is 22MB right now. It does also link to art and soundfiles, but a script that automatically swaps these to the one found in the latest version would not be too complex.
11 Sep 2014, 20:18 PM
Coder Red Badge

It's not really all that difficult to do technically, you just save old attribute files and load the correct ones for whatever version the replay you're trying to watch is in. The problem is, the game itself wasn't designed and developed to have this feature, and to add it now would mean a ton of work testing and modifying existing aspects of the code that work totally fine right now. In a project with a massive codebase like CoH2, that ends up being a ridiculous amount of work.

It's really quite similar to the observer mode from a technical perspective. Adding an observer mode if you build it into your core game is, theoretically, extremely easy. But we all know how long it's taking Relic to add, mainly because seemingly unrelated parts of code have to be touched in order to add the desired functionality since so much of the engine code comes from vCoH with no thought toward observing.
11 Sep 2014, 20:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2014, 20:09 PMCruzz

The file that contains all unit stats for a given game version is 22MB right now. It does also link to art and soundfiles, but a script that automatically swaps these to the one found in the latest version would not be too complex.

i might have been thinking of the extracted archives then... still, yes, a script or little program that swaps the files out should be very easy to do (i expect something like 1-2 mins of work). that still leaves the problem of getting the appropriate archives with the attributes.
11 Sep 2014, 20:31 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2014, 20:18 PMInverse
It's really quite similar to the observer mode from a technical perspective.

I know that League of Legends had no replay support at all (except with mods) until they implemented their observer mode. Then you could watch with a great set of features (rewinding, slow motion, follow player x, auto follow most important action, etc).
11 Sep 2014, 20:39 PM
Coder Red Badge

League still doesn't have replays officially, just a third-party mod that's pretty buggy. They've had live observing for a while, but no replays.
11 Sep 2014, 21:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2014, 20:39 PMInverse
League still doesn't have replays officially, just a third-party mod that's pretty buggy. They've had live observing for a while, but no replays.

Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with dota 2. Alternatively I have no idea what I'm talking about.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 67
unknown 20
Germany 18

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak