Login

russian armor

How to use Assault Grens?

15 Oct 2014, 23:52 PM

You're right. I meant in terms of combat characteristics. These guys are expensive and take forever to reinforce. I got hard-countered by a soviet sniper start using these guys. It was not pretty. They simply couldn't close the distance against snipers and were a huge mp drain.

They are not supposed to be your backbone or anything. I think this is how call-ins should be in general, pretty bad but have its situational use and more than anything they should be fun. If you are going versus Soviet T1 you can probably suspect Snipers and Guards. I got some good training in automatch versus this guy that was pretty high rank, about 30-60 not quite sure and he would always go t1 on Semoisky.

This one game where I actually do some damage to him and challenge his snipers was a three assgren start into quick SC. Doing that, mainly you just want those assgrens spread out and avoid fighting him AT all. Sprint away if you have to or get inside houses. My SC managed to chase one sniper down to his base and nearly killed the second one before he could get his Guards out. After he had got like 3 of them it was pretty much GG though since I didn't have a follow-up. I went for an Ostwind but Guards are too strong and when he had the CPs he could get 4 t34/85s out.
17 Oct 2014, 04:57 AM

They are not supposed to be your backbone or anything. I think this is how call-ins should be in general, pretty bad but have its situational use and more than anything they should be fun. If you are going versus Soviet T1 you can probably suspect Snipers and Guards. I got some good training in automatch versus this guy that was pretty high rank, about 30-60 not quite sure and he would always go t1 on Semoisky.

This one game where I actually do some damage to him and challenge his snipers was a three assgren start into quick SC. Doing that, mainly you just want those assgrens spread out and avoid fighting him AT all. Sprint away if you have to or get inside houses. My SC managed to chase one sniper down to his base and nearly killed the second one before he could get his Guards out. After he had got like 3 of them it was pretty much GG though since I didn't have a follow-up. I went for an Ostwind but Guards are too strong and when he had the CPs he could get 4 t34/85s out.

I like to go mobile defense against that kind of start. Ostruppen are 10 mp to reinforce. He can snipe all day and I will bear it and take control of the map. Then I can push with weapon crews and ostruppen and a half track (unless I can chase down with scout car, which can sometimes be difficult if they play well).

Of course with the assault grens, you are usually going at least a triple assault gren start before you even know what they are doing. And the reinforce cost is significantly more than a normal grenadier. I tend to just cap the other side of the map and use LOS well. You really have to do one big multi-prong push and try to isolate the sniper while not bleeding too much MP yourself. Snipers also miss half the time against garrisoned units.

Snipers still cost 360 MP and have poor capping power and are easily chaased down. Just don't bleed the manpower.
18 Oct 2014, 05:58 AM
Patrion 15

Don't spam them. I would never build more than one. They are easily kited with 2 squads, they don't scale well, they don't have a faust, and don't do damage at all until at almost point blank range.

Treat them like a very situational support unit, use them to flank.

Their greatest asset is the sprint ability. Use it in conjunction with a gren squad, and ALWAYS use the sprint ability to close the gap.
18 Oct 2014, 19:16 PM

If I had 0 cp Osttruppen I'd rather use them obviously. Point is you can skip t1.
23 Oct 2014, 06:15 AM

If I had 0 cp Osttruppen I'd rather use them obviously. Point is you can skip t1.

do you have any recent replay of using Assault Grens play im new to Ostheer i wanted to try this commander out i usually rush all the way to his cuttoff in first minute and hide in bushes till my second squad cachthes up bait the opp with pioneers this works well at lowlevel but after this i have no follow plan ,
23 Oct 2014, 08:05 AM

Of course with the assault grens, you are usually going at least a triple assault gren start before you even know what they are doing. And the reinforce cost is significantly more than a normal grenadier.

Assault grenadier's reinforcement cost (28) is lower than normal grenadier's (30) due to the larger squad size. (28=280/5/2, 30=240/4/2)
23 Oct 2014, 15:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Oct 2014, 06:15 AMImSkemo

do you have any recent replay of using Assault Grens play im new to Ostheer i wanted to try this commander out i usually rush all the way to his cuttoff in first minute and hide in bushes till my second squad cachthes up bait the opp with pioneers this works well at lowlevel but after this i have no follow plan ,

Your gonna have a bad day doing that vs US faction. :P ....Oshteer is just not meant to be played aggresively early game IMO. You WILL get flanked and then run the risk of losing precious team weapons (mgs or Mortars) and youll have no proper territory of your own behind that.

Honestly Ass.Grens suck. Period. If they had the STG44 assault rifles the Panzergrens have, then they would be very viable (sort of the German version of the soviet shocktroops). As is, the pea shooters they come equipped with scare no one.

Heres an Idea: Raise the initial cost, give em STGs, drop to 3 XP points unlock requirement. DO NOT give em shrecks , if the cost is lower than Pgrens (say 300mp) , then you have an alternative close range unit at early -mid game.
23 Oct 2014, 17:11 PM

Your gonna have a bad day doing that vs US faction. :P ....Oshteer is just not meant to be played aggresively early game IMO. You WILL get flanked and then run the risk of losing precious team weapons (mgs or Mortars) and youll have no proper territory of your own behind that.

Honestly Ass.Grens suck. Period. If they had the STG44 assault rifles the Panzergrens have, then they would be very viable (sort of the German version of the soviet shocktroops). As is, the pea shooters they come equipped with scare no one.

Heres an Idea: Raise the initial cost, give em STGs, drop to 3 XP points unlock requirement. DO NOT give em shrecks , if the cost is lower than Pgrens (say 300mp) , then you have an alternative close range unit at early -mid game.

or jsut keep them as it is and jsut give them a smoke ability like shocks unlocked at vet1 taht would be awsome
OR
add a buff while they are sprinting so they take less damage.
23 Oct 2014, 17:24 PM
Patrion 310

They suck in 1vs1 but might be good in team games (depending on map) against USF so OH can skip tech to get out early scout cars/skreaks or P4 to counter USF light vehicles/shermans.
6 Nov 2014, 01:43 AM

I have been using AG in 1v1 with a lot of success (I am currently unranked so I might just be facing noobs, but the people I have fought don't have low levels and play decently). I only build one and really what I find is that it gives incredible early game capping power. Yes late game they suffer in head on fights with other infantry, but what I find them good for is flanking support teams when my front line is engaged and going after those pesky Engies and RE that cap behind the lines.

The early game boost of getting an instant assault unit is significant and catches a lot of players off-guard.
9 Nov 2014, 11:08 AM

That's a very interesting unit - but it definitely could use some love.
Using them is a high-risk/high-reward action while relying just on grens is much safer.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★