Login

russian armor

So I want to love Red Orchestra 2 ...

20 Sep 2014, 04:13 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

What's the deal with machine guns? I find that it's pretty easy to snipe the gunner/get sniped if you are the gunner, and that the rifles have so much long range killing potential that the suppression from the MG is not really needed.

You really serve as a distraction, as most enemies are going to prioritize you while your teammates (hopefully) get into good positions to kill them. The goal isn't to kill enemies(unless you see a group) but to keep them scared to poke their heads out, so your rifles can focus on fewer enemies at a time. The mgs really shine in places with distinctive cover, like urban areas, where enemies will mostly come from one direction and you can see anybody that pops out. Best example, the beginning of Bridges of Druhzina is shit for MGs because the tall grasses and craters conceal enemies really well. But once you get to the urban part and the second bridge, it is much easier to see enemies move around between the rubble and allows you to focus on keeping multiple people suppressed.
21 Sep 2014, 01:25 AM

I played RO2 circa 2012-early 2013 ish. Then I came back for rising storm for 2 months or so.

I was a good player (top 5 ish player in a match usually, kill/death ratio 2.5:1) and had unlocked many of the weapons.

My favorite weapons were the SVT-40 rifle and MG-34, belt fed. I generally avoided SMGs unless it was necessary- so I chose PPSH if I could. I tended to avoid close combat until necessary, as I find that I killed a lot more often.

The key is to understand the maps, and use concealment & cover at all times. Move around carefully, and use smoke. Make sure the area you are leapfrogging to is not bracketed and observed by the opfor.

It is important to understand your position the way the opfor sees you. The general rule is to avoid open fire if the opfor knows roughly where you are. I liked using flanking fire if possible and long range shooting against advancing players. Don't attack head first, man to man...move to the opfor's right or left wings and open up from a concealed position. Then jump into the capzone if you feel like it's secure. If it's not, stay put and let other players die for you while you block off the area with your rifle or MG fire.

Also, I was rarely the first one in the capzone. I generally let a few others go first and I stick with the groups if I attack. In the attack, I prefer the SVT-40, and popping out for some rapid fire, and then pop down into cover. Then I re-position, as the area I just fired from is compromised.

If I am defending, I prefer MG-34 at various points- there were great matches where I killed 20 plus in a row and such. I position my MG generally with an obstacle in front of it (such as a tree) to provide some cover or I fire from corners of cover, which obscures my body from being hit. The MG-34 in close range action is also highly effective, and often more so than the PPSH.

Some players swear by bolt action rifles and smgs- I find them simply inferior in most situations compared to the semi-automatics and automatics.
8 Jan 2015, 03:38 AM

Has anybody played this game recently? How is the playerbase? Is it dead? Still alive? I haven't played it since early 2013.
8 Jan 2015, 04:16 AM

Has anybody played this game recently? How is the playerbase? Is it dead? Still alive? I haven't played it since early 2013.
Still alive for sure. Just played recently and saw lots of full servers.
8 Jan 2015, 12:34 PM

I played it a while ago and there were still people playing. Not so much for the rising storm though :(

I like RS much more because of the maps. In RO2 you wander around 2 minutes in huge map wondering where the garden should I go to and then get sniped from god knows where. RS maps are more user friendly and action packed to me.
8 Jan 2015, 13:33 PM

I would recommend this game for sure. I find both RS and the Eastern Front armies all good, maps are great, good team based structure, Nice weapons and realism.

If you like COH2, you might crave a FPS scenario which feels like COH2, but is shown in first person. This game also has great support, and a good community!
9 Jan 2015, 17:40 PM

Thanks for the info, guys!
9 Jan 2015, 17:45 PM

Guys, stop saying that it's super complex or that there is only pros left. This kinda pisses me off :)

It's all about thinking about how to survive and get the most out of your position. (I have practised airsoft alot, so I just imagined that I put on my warclothing and a BB-gun and then go digital. So this came really easy to me once I had some hours in the game)

Here is a SHORT video about how skilled I am :)
http://www.twitch.tv/lenny12346/c/5607094
9 Jan 2015, 17:49 PM

Played this game about 700h (mostly Rising storm!). Most used class is commander, the arty is really OP in this game <444>3

This is a cool video i want to share, watch and learn :D

9 Jan 2015, 17:51 PM

Oh yeah, tip from my side. NEVER use the "auto" cover system (like lenny did at the barrels Kappa), its clunky and gets you killed. Crouch sprinting form cover to cover is ALOT better.Try to lean corners and stay crouched most of the time and you have direct edge. Also use the tactical map alot! It shows spotted enemies and tl, sl posititons + objectives.
9 Jan 2015, 17:57 PM

Oh yeah, tip from my side. NEVER use the "auto" cover system (like lenny did at the barrels Kappa), its clunky and gets you killed. Crouch sprinting form cover to cover is ALOT better.Try to lean corners and stay crouched most of the time and you have direct edge. Also use the tactical map alot! It shows spotted enemies and tl, sl posititons + objectives.
+1

I still use the cover system just for the awesome blindfire that misses everyone. :D
9 Jan 2015, 18:31 PM

lol my rarest achievement on steam is flaming 5 banzi charging Japs with only like .1% of ppl having that lol. But for real this game is BA! Iv alwaysed loved playing elite rifleman with my Scoped Grewher and also sniper with my Kar98 hehe
9 Jan 2015, 18:35 PM

lol my rarest achievement on steam is flaming 5 banzi charging Japs with only like .1% of ppl having that lol. But for real this game is BA! Iv alwaysed loved playing elite rifleman with my Scoped Grewher and also sniper with my Kar98 hehe
My LMG34/42 would beat you anyday.:snfBarton:
9 Jan 2015, 18:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jan 2015, 18:35 PMsteel

Lol you wish, I got the (digital)skills that can rival any Top Sniper in this world. Plus steel if your operating a LMG your gonna be one slow moving target B-)

PS- Why you forum stalking me, Im not fichten lol:snfBarton:
9 Jan 2015, 18:49 PM

Lol you wish, I got the (digital)skills that can rival any Top Sniper in this world. Plus steel if your operating a LMG your gonna be one slow moving target B-)

PS- Why you forum stalking me, Im not fichten lol:snfBarton:
I sniped other snipers with my LMG before. No one is more ober than me. :snfAmi:

I need my daily dose of German-stalking. :snfBarton:
Nah, I just click my "Thread Index" bookmark every 15 seconds. Addicted to this website already. :hijack:
9 Jan 2015, 19:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jan 2015, 18:49 PMsteel
I sniped other snipers with my LMG before. No one is more ober than me. :snfAmi:

I need my daily dose of German-stalking. :snfBarton:
Nah, I just click my "Thread Index" bookmark every 15 seconds. Addicted to this website already. :hijack:

Its okay to speak the truth, Ik you need a german in ur life :banana:
10 Jan 2015, 02:38 AM

Its okay to speak the truth, Ik you need a german in ur life :banana:
RandomName exists for that purpose. :megusta:
10 Jan 2015, 03:04 AM

Coming from a self proclaimed great player of RO2, stop sprinting all the time and use the map, those are the two things that will help you the most, awareness is key.

That said, there are a few other things that can help you, when looking out of a window don't stand too close or the enemy will see your gun sticking out, don't use the cover system other than a few rare occasions(you're in a close enviorment using the blind fire with an SMG) it makes you stick out too much, in woodland crawl as much as you can, try to have natural mounds on your sides and just take peeks, master the lean on the side function, if you're a squad leader don't rush in but also don't simply stand back and use smoke grenades and mark arty for commander, if you're commander stand by the radio when calling recon and always use the abilities, if you're an engineer blow up doors, tanks and tank traps because that's your job not running around with an SMG, if you're a sniper take down enemy MGs and other stationary targets don't try to kill moving targets, if you're a machine gunner just rambo it out because machine guns are fucking overpowered.

That's about everything I can think of.
10 Jan 2015, 05:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jan 2015, 18:35 PMsteel

wait..Mg42? What new weapons/features did they add since 2012?
10 Jan 2015, 06:29 AM

wait..Mg42? What new weapons/features did they add since 2012?
Achieve veteran with MG class to get MG42. It was added last year along with the T-70 tank and Panzer iii
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★