Login

russian armor

So I played CoH2 again...

2 Sep 2014, 20:59 PM

You are saying that "playing on low and mid settings" is good for ESL or for streaming and stuff?
You are saying that the game runs fine even that there are sooooooooooo many people, with rigs that cost over 1000-1500 Euros, that say that the FPS are very low?

If you are a dedicaded COH2 player (which i don't doubt that you are), you should know that what 90% of the posters in this thread say its true. And many of us are saying this since release and Relic knows it too. For gods sake, which modern game does not support SLI/CF? Doe to "Coldtech" is one of the excuses from Relic.

Anyway, in my country there is a saying, where there is smoke, there is fire.

Examples:
Here...

and here...

last one.

I didn't say that there is no glitch or hiccup related to performances and/or network in COH2. I just say that i think they are not game breaking. I just play 6-8 4vs4 games a day and find that none of those games weren't affected enough to talk about it. Maybe i'm lucky.

If the fanbase is to diminish then they will be no performance optimizations and the game will fall into oblivion. I honestly think that the performances on middle rigs are not that bad and don't really impact the fanbase. People who really like games with nice graphics don't play COH2. It's rather intellectual who like content more that play the game. (i admit the late 1 or 2 freezing issue is quite annoying).

Thanks.

2 Sep 2014, 21:43 PM

I bought a monster computer to be able to run every game at max settings, which I do... except for CoH2.

I can play brand new games that are way more beautiful than CoH2 with very high framerates at max settings, but somehow I get 30-40 fps on CoH2... it got even worse with WFA.

Oh, I have a GTX690, among other things.

Its using only half of your 690gtx because its a non SLI dumb game.
2 Sep 2014, 22:35 PM

Its using only half of your 690gtx because its a non SLI dumb game.

Half of it still should be plenty enough to run this game at max settings with more than 30 fps... Unfortunately it's not.
2 Sep 2014, 22:54 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Relic is splitting their limited resources between the single player fan base, and getting the game to an acceptable level of esports quality. There is still a HUGE list of bugs plaguing the game (hah), many players are still experiencing unexplained game freezes. Promoting COH2 as an esport is a huge opportunity for Relic, IF they don't blow it.

What this man says. Game performance is really bad since the release of WFA. Making the game run smoothly and erasing bugs should be top priority over new content.
2 Sep 2014, 23:37 PM

when the game isnt doing those various stutters of weird kinds... it runs great. i get smooth gameplay. The issue to me isnt really even performance, its just plane old bugs.

The game will run fine for me on medium/high settings. but all the time i start a match where im stuck on the loading screen for 20 seconds, and i miss the first 20 seconds of the game due to some weird stutter. then i get a message saying my settings are too high. but after it goes through the stutter i get very smooth gameplay that runs real well.... and if i put all my settings on low i get the same exact issue. The game just has bugs. they need to spend time and fix them.

another issue: the tactical map. Besides having too much detail as already been stated. it just too slow. Its something id want to pop up for a quick reference. but it usually causes my game to stutter for about a half second to a full second when i open or close it. This is not very good if im trying to keep my micro up.
2 Sep 2014, 23:45 PM
Senior Caster Badge

It's pretty irritating that CoH 2 performs worse than vCoH and WFA just made the game worse. I've basically stopped playing not because the game is too awful but because the performance is too awful. This coincides with recently getting into Dota 2 and just having a much easier time of everything because the menus and the game work flawlessly. Firing up CoH 2 is like starting up a round of Russian roulette except instead of getting shot in the head when you lose, you lose a squad because the game froze when your opponent threw a grenade. It also doesn't help that if I want to play on low graphics settings I have to constantly keep fiddling with them because to record a vidcast I have to turn the graphics back up.
3 Sep 2014, 03:57 AM

Yes, performance and optimization need real improvement!
3 Sep 2014, 05:52 AM
Donator 22

Yeah, the optimisation of this game is pretty awful.

You need a really top tier CPU (ivy bridge/haswell i5/i7) and super expensive display (at least GTX-780) getting the FPS closed to 60 constantly.

this is part of my system

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 MSI Twin Force OC
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K Prozessor

and I can't run this game on maximum settings, because of lags and bug splat reports. :S

3 Sep 2014, 06:50 AM
Patrion 28

3930k@4.7GHz
670x2 (yes, i know SLI doesn't work but i'll list both anyway. at least i got nvidia to fix the texture corruption)
16Gb@1600MHz (supposedly, i'm not sure it actually is...)

game plays fine at 2560x1440 with everything except AA and AS maxed. what the fps is i can't tell you, i know it's less than 60 but i used to play l4d fine at 20fps and only really noticed when it got down to 15ish.
3 Sep 2014, 06:54 AM

There is also a large (5-10s) freeze-and-speed when VPs hit 0 or the opponent surrenders. This is before the victory strike, which is usually done at ~3x speed. (Every game.)
3 Sep 2014, 14:50 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

I have a 3770K @ 4.4Ghz, a GTX 780, 8GB of ram and I max this game out on 2560X1440. Just put AA at low (any higher wont net any visible improvement but will lower performance) and game resolution at 100% and max everything else. I'm not sure how people with higher specs than me are having issues...
3 Sep 2014, 15:30 PM
Donator 33

The thing about performance issues is they slowly become less relevant as time passes. Back in 2006 you needed a lot of grunt to get the most out of CoH. If you were lucky enough to have a $500 x1900 you could max the game at a whopping 40fps at 1024x768. I'm sure plenty of people complained they couldn't run high settings above 10fps on their favourite 6600gt even though it played CS flawlessly. Fast forward 8 years and we still have people who talk about how good CoH looks and nobody cares about performance in the slightest.

Having said that, if they can squeeze more out at the bottom end without impacting the experience for higher-end users that would be a very good thing in terms of popularity right now, today. Many of us are completely happy with the performance on high settings considering how stunning the game looks. But a common complaint is that low end computers are always bottlenecked regardless of how much you push down the settings.
3 Sep 2014, 15:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I have a 3770K @ 4.4Ghz, a GTX 780, 8GB of ram and I max this game out on 2560X1440. Just put AA at low (any higher wont net any visible improvement but will lower performance) and game resolution at 100% and max everything else. I'm not sure how people with higher specs than me are having issues...

There are higher specs than that? :P
3 Sep 2014, 15:51 PM

The thing about performance issues is they slowly become less relevant as time passes. Back in 2006 you needed a lot of grunt to get the most out of CoH. If you were lucky enough to have a $500 x1900 you could max the game at a whopping 40fps at 1024x768. I'm sure plenty of people complained they couldn't run high settings above 10fps on their favourite 6600gt even though it played CS flawlessly. Fast forward 8 years and we still have people who talk about how good CoH looks and nobody cares about performance in the slightest.

Having said that, if they can squeeze more out at the bottom end without impacting the experience for higher-end users that would be a very good thing in terms of popularity right now, today. Many of us are completely happy with the performance on high settings considering how stunning the game looks. But a common complaint is that low end computers are always bottlenecked regardless of how much you push down the settings.

Dude but COH2 looks average for what it demands. Back in 06 there was no RTS looking so good as vCoh which still kicks for the age it has. CoH had great demands but it had the best graphics also, fast forward 8 years and you get an average game with FX that are inferior to vCOh but you need a NASA computer for it.
3 Sep 2014, 16:06 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

+1. Very nice post, Inverse. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. As a sender/observer for SNF/ESL, I am constantly battling with COH2 settings, trying to show the game in all its glory. It's an uphill struggle and we could do with some reinforcements in the form of graphics optimization.
3 Sep 2014, 16:07 PM

this is part of my system

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 MSI Twin Force OC
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K Prozessor

and I can't run this game on maximum settings, because of lags and bug splat reports. :S

I have similar specs and I can run game fine on max settings except AA which is off. Do you have it on? Since AA in CoH 2 is FPS killer like hell.

BTW: Even Quinn Duffy admited that game needs some improvements in performance!
3 Sep 2014, 16:08 PM
Patrion 14

Bought a new computer last year primarily in anticipation of CoH2 because I knew what to expect. Mid-level specs for smooth sailing at mid-level details. It is not a very optimized game, but what's worse, it looks downright ugly when details are lowered.

I played it on a gaming laptop for a while, so I know what causes problems. Winter maps (snow and blizzards) are framerate killers. And of course large maps and playercount (3v3, 4v4) are even worse. As a curiosity, Angermuende was disproportionately slow compared to other maps of similar size.
3 Sep 2014, 16:23 PM
Coder Red Badge

That's a very good point. I guess the problem I have with their approach is the fact that I really don't think the visual quality you're getting from CoH2 justifies the ridiculous hardware requirement. You kind of expect PC games these days to have pretty damn good scaling; games like Dota 2 and SC2 and CSGO and even single-player games like Bioshock Infinite and Skyrim look absolutely beautiful if you have the hardware required to max them out, but also have extreme scaling on the low end. You can play those games on nearly anything if you're willing to set everything to the minimum, and in the case of competitive games, a lot of people do that regardless of their rigs in order to guarantee consistently perfect performance. CoH2 has the beautiful, high-end aspect nailed down, but lacks the scaling on the lower end that has become standard for PC games in the last few years. Given the visual quality of CoH2 at minimum settings, there's absolutely no excuse for me getting sub-60FPS during chaotic action while being able to get 80+FPS consistently on higher settings in the other games I listed above.
and
3 Sep 2014, 16:24 PM

Bought a new computer last year primarily in anticipation of CoH2 because I knew what to expect. Mid-level specs for smooth sailing at mid-level details. It is not a very optimized game, but what's worse, it looks downright ugly when details are lowered.

I played it on a gaming laptop for a while, so I know what causes problems. Winter maps (snow and blizzards) are framerate killers. And of course large maps and playercount (3v3, 4v4) are even worse. As a curiosity, Angermuende was disproportionately slow compared to other maps of similar size.

Some really demanding effects can be turned off by manually editing the CoH2 config file. This has helped me run the game with acceptable frame rates on mid-level systems without it looking like crap.
3 Sep 2014, 16:38 PM
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Sep 2014, 16:07 PMMettiu

I have similar specs and I can run game fine on max settings except AA which is off. Do you have it on? Since AA in CoH 2 is FPS killer like hell.

BTW: Even Quinn Duffy admited that game needs some improvements in performance!

AA was on max :facepalm:

:oops:

but thx
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment