Login

russian armor

Mega Thread Rescue of Maps

2 Sep 2014, 07:41 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

INTRODUCTION:
Cartography in maps of coh2 sometimes means imbalance. This must change for rolling map.
Much water, mud, houses, deep snow is detrimental to a good strategy.
The dedication of a map is complex. Cartography of a real map of coh2 map takes time, planning and effort of the mapmaker. So make a new map is very costly in time and money, which is used for this.

What I propose is to make small adjustments to maps, to return to be operative in some cases are very simple changes. In other changes are huge. But any changes are needed in lesser or greater extent.

Introduction new maps and forget that balancing available, brings frustration to the players. Day after day the frustration accumulates until finally put it on the map 'veto'. Relic draws the conclusion that is already unbalanced map and fix it in the future.

This is the time to review and study these small misalignments of the maps. With the help of some feedbacks I've helped 4p_road_to_kharkov maps, 4p_moscow_outskirts, 4p_rails_and_metal, major changes of these 2v2 maps are thanks to the feedbacks from the players.

The remaining maps 4P/6P/8P I have experienced, seen and played in stream, its flaws, which I gathered all in this article. There are many players who do not know some of them. Tell them to be found in the custom system against the AI.

Before we start, I wanted to touch a point; beauty vs practice
Mapmaker says: - This river is very nice here.
Player says: - This river does not pass my tanks (the next game check 'veto' to the map).
Yes, it does. Thing stopping gameplay like a river is crucial to one side of the map.

Let's dig up the maps of the desert and re-analyzing them so that they are operational.

TIPS:
1.1 http://s7.directupload.net/images/140720/hddy6irq.jpg
I really need as many objects in the area Unplayable?
This requires time to study and consider whether it is necessary to have these objects, which only serve to unnecessarily load the GPU. But are not seen by players, please remove them.

2.1 U.S. Base proper orientation facing the enemy. Should the U.S. base be rotated so that racks were facing the enemy. Not like in some cases this behind. The program code to load the map should search the start point enemy. In this way could address the HQs.

3.1 http://s7.directupload.net/images/140720/7mq585sm.jpg
I have some advice for us base more:

4.1 When relic make them buildings can be with the same models of existing buildings, should do more buildings on 1 floor. Although it is the same building, with the door/windows in front or other sides. This would give more wealth to the maps. Because there are few houses on 1 level. There are some of 2 floors in the extensive grounds are not suitable for maps.
5. An enemy player repeatedly leaves a small house in the south and goes to the HQs and throws arty. Completely eliminates the constructions. 1st one player and then another. Up to 4 players.
http://s7.directupload.net/images/140812/q5o7bddh.jpg
http://s1.directupload.net/images/140812/2nsq4vdg.jpg
http://s7.directupload.net/images/140812/uuqopw3f.jpg

BUGs
Bugs found in the realization of this article:
1.1 BUG in WB. Maps completed the 'Playable Area' is shown as 'Terrain Size'. When creating a map is correct this tool, but at some point the process of creating map, this changes.

2.1 http://s1.directupload.net/images/140720/i254ikwl.jpg
COH2/WFA. In game the enemy base leaves a shadow on the ground in FOW.

MAPs
2V2

3V3

4V4

UPDATE1

UPDATE2

GRATITUDES
I thank fellow coh2.org for support to fans. A relic for making this incredible game.
I hope that is corrected and several maps are released in a future patch so that people will return to play them.
First, this is based on my opinion, each person will have their own. Be constructive.
Thank you

edit: Update1 (17 October)
edit: Update2 (18 March)
2 Sep 2014, 07:50 AM

2 Sep 2014, 08:01 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Good list.
You can't rotate the US base, I tried it but they will always have the same orientation.
2 Sep 2014, 08:57 AM

Was a good read!
2 Sep 2014, 09:08 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Good read you brought it to a point :) Hope eagleheart21 will see this ^^
2 Sep 2014, 09:38 AM

Good read.
It's all about making maps more open and accessible for flanking and other tactics.
2 Sep 2014, 13:10 PM

Extraordinarily well thought out. You must have spent considerable time on this. I hope the devs take this into consideration.

The adjustments to Pripyat are key. I miss that map, but it was broken.

I can't spare the time at work to read your details for each map but in the words of McArthur, I shall return!
2 Sep 2014, 13:26 PM
2 Sep 2014, 14:07 PM
Patrion 14

+1 for the effort
2 Sep 2014, 14:59 PM

Good post!!!!
2 Sep 2014, 17:53 PM

Been reading this a bit over lunch and a canceled meeting (up to and through 2v2 maps). Very solid points. I'm not a big fan of making everything mirrored & 'equal access' but it's hard to argue against most of your suggestions.

I like asymmetry where it can be done. I think that a map influencing plays style depending on spawn can be ok. The key is that equally good but differently executed attack/defense strategies must be viable, and more importantly, clearly communicated to the player. EG. If side A has better access to heavy cover side B should have better access to flanking routes. The problem is many players (myself included) develop one dominant play style that does not always transition well to a different map/terrain situation.
2 Sep 2014, 18:00 PM

i dont agree with all your suggestions, for instance:

4v4 Lienne_forest
This map in the late game, this VP middle is crucial to victory/defeat.
There are objects that impair entry vehicles/tanks, hinders the vision of them.
Therefore it is desirable to remove the objects listed below.

Why should the middle objective be easier to cover with tanks? its great that youve picked up on some objects of tactical importance. but their reason for being there is that they effect your tactical decisions. Not all units should be equally effective in all areas. If anyone wanted that then the game would just take place in a big open field with nothing in it.
Only Relic postRelic 6 Sep 2014, 03:17 AM
Developer Relic Badge

woaahhh I haven't seen this thread yet. Truly I appreciate all the effort here. I'll be taking a hard look at this feedback soon. thanks Capiqua!

Eagle
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS