Login

russian armor

Osttruppen any good?

1 Sep 2014, 10:33 AM

Are the Osttruppen themselves (the troops from the Osttruppen and the Mobile Defense doctrines) at least somewhat useful?
What about the rest of Osttruppen doctrine?
1 Sep 2014, 11:04 AM

The only time when I get Osttruppen is when I use relief infantry. Converting munitions to some cheap/weak squads is pretty good in 1v1 because you can use them to cap the map while your real combat infantry can focus on the front line.

When you actually have to pay manpower for them they are not good. They simply underperform for their price.
1 Sep 2014, 11:27 AM

Well, the unit is slightly different if you get it from the Mobile Defence doctrine. They start with some experience/veterancy and can spawn with an LMG. The LMG makes quite a bit of difference to their overall DPS, and the 6 man squad means the gunner is well protected.

Personally, I think the unit has some uses. They're good at ninja capping, and are useful for rushing enemy armour to Panzerfaust them whilst your Grens stay in cover. The squad size also makes them decent meat shields. A very nice combo with Ostruppen is the T2 Half-Track, since Ostruppen reinforce almost instantly and for a very low cost. This allows Ostruppen to win against other squads by raw attrition (and this is the only way they will win against other squads).

Personally, I use the Mobile Defence Commander as part of my standard loadout, and make use of the Ostruppen call-in pretty regularly. The Ostruppen Commander is another story however. It's pretty much never used seriously, but there is one strategy for it. This involves basically skipping T1 to get an additional Pioneer and 4 Ostruppen, which form the bulk of your force. You can then get T2 very quickly, and pick up a Half-Track and a couple of Panzergrenadiers. The fuel conversion gives you plenty of munitions for Panzerschrecks, so that takes care of your AT and allows you to spam bundle grenades.

It's far from a great strategy and is countered by many things, but can work and is at least pretty fun to play every now and then.
Gxm
1 Sep 2014, 12:29 PM

I agree that its kinda fun to play them but honestly, they are something like partisans u cant rly compare them to real soldier squads.
1 Sep 2014, 18:55 PM

Are the Osttruppen themselves (the troops from the Osttruppen and the Mobile Defense doctrines) at least somewhat useful?
What about the rest of Osttruppen doctrine?
i have devised an extremely effective stratedgy using the ostruppen doctrine that focuses on holding key areas and countering waves of conscripts/rifleman. Because of this, i find myself using the doctrine quite frequently though i do think they could be cheaper. Id be willing to share the strat if anyone is interested.
3 Sep 2014, 17:24 PM

The ostrupen are actualy prety good at long range.They have the faust and can build bunker.The ostruppen doc is ok.Imo you are much better going mech. assault doc.You get assault grens right away and the rest of it i prety god with tiger and arty.Today i was just thrashig squads with assault grens. and i didn't lose a man!Also they have five men and cost just 40 manpwr more.Each oldier has an mp40.:D
8 Sep 2014, 10:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Sep 2014, 18:55 PMSparks
i have devised an extremely effective stratedgy using the ostruppen doctrine that focuses on holding key areas and countering waves of conscripts/rifleman. Because of this, i find myself using the doctrine quite frequently though i do think they could be cheaper. Id be willing to share the strat if anyone is interested.

Sure, i'd like to hear it!
8 Sep 2014, 10:11 AM
Donator 11

@Kallipolan:

The Strategy you mentioned is really tricky at the current state. Through the favor of LMGs atm (for every faction), it is quite difficult to get into a Close Quarter Combat without taking serious damage.
The disadvantage about this is:
Panzergrenadiers are pretty expensive in producing costs and reinforcement costs. They also got not a good armor like Shocks, due to the last Pgren nerf.
I would just recommend that Strategy, if you want to play a Fun match and not to take it seriously.

You can't use the Osttruppen as a meat shield, because many players will focus the Pgrens out when you are going to attack.
8 Sep 2014, 10:48 AM

@Kallipolan:

The Strategy you mentioned is really tricky at the current state. Through the favor of LMGs atm (for every faction), it is quite difficult to get into a Close Quarter Combat without taking serious damage.
The disadvantage about this is:
Panzergrenadiers are pretty expensive in producing costs and reinforcement costs. They also got not a good armor like Shocks, due to the last Pgren nerf.
I would just recommend that Strategy, if you want to play a Fun match and not to take it seriously.

You can't use the Osttruppen as a meat shield, because many players will focus the Pgrens out when you are going to attack.

Yeah, I only meant it as a way to have a bit of fun with Ostruppen. Panzergrens are pretty weak right now, but the fact that you can easily 3-4 squads running around all with Panzerschrecks is actually quite a good way of countering armour. Also, the main point of this strategy is to have Ostruppen supported by a halftrack as your main force, whilst the PGrens can run around flanking and back-capping. At the moment, simply running PGrens at LMG equipped units is obviously not going to end well for you.
8 Sep 2014, 14:51 PM
Patrion 15

I played against a player last week who kept spawning Osttruppen and I was playing as USF. I just raped all of his squads everytime he approached to my soldiers, they didn't seem too effective versus Riflemen.

8 Sep 2014, 17:42 PM

I played against a player last week who kept spawning Osttruppen and I was playing as USF. I just raped all of his squads everytime he approached to my soldiers, they didn't seem too effective versus Riflemen.

The problem is, he approached your soldiers, and not the other way around. Ideal use of Ostruppen is in numbers, in cover, static, possibly in fetal position due to shellshock.
9 Sep 2014, 15:03 PM
Patrion 15

The problem is, he approached your soldiers, and not the other way around. Ideal use of Ostruppen is in numbers, in cover, static, possibly in fetal position due to shellshock.

It makes sense.

Yesterday in HelpingHans stream in a 4v4 match they just spammed the hell out of Osttruppen and they were lethal so I can see they're good when used as they role.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★