Login

russian armor

What's the common meta right now?

30 Aug 2014, 23:45 PM

Yo guys,

I've not been playing for I don't know how long and thought I would give CoH2 another shot. After playing a couple of games tho, I wonder what the common strategies/build orders and late game units are. What's considered strong and what's considered weak?

Just a small summary would be awesome and I would be really thankful for that :))
31 Aug 2014, 05:32 AM

Probably the most common BOs are:

Soviets: mixed Cons and Maxims in the early game, with a Guards/Shocks doctrine that includes a late-game armour call-in (ISU, IS2, T34/85s). Possibly go T3 for a T34 if it will punish the opponent particularly hard.

Ostheer: 3-4 Grens backed by Mgs and possibly a mortar. Go T2 for Paks and a light vehicle (222 for killing, halftrack for supporting infantry). Get a squad of Panzergrens if suitable. T3 is usually good idea for a Panzer 4 and/or Stug. Don't build T4 (too expensive), instead get a Tiger doctrine for the late-game.

US: 3-4 Riflemen as core, with BAR upgrade. Whether you go LT or Captain first is personal preference: LT is arguably better/more aggressive early, but can leave you vulnerable to vehicles in the mid-game. Unlock Major for the late game, with Jacksons taking care of late game Axis armour. Exact BO should be flexible, and is largely about which units you like.

OKW: Most common build is 3 Volks -> tech building. Go Battlegroup to get healing and the ISG to counter weapon teams. Go Mechanized for the Puma, which is a truly excellent all-round unit if microed well. Make sure you get Schreks on your Volk squads reasonably early. Late game, OKW usually need some form of elite infantry, either Obersoldaten or doctrinal troops. Either get a Panther, or save for a KT if confident. At least at first, using an MG34 doctine is strongly recommended, since otherwise the early game can be a little weak.
31 Aug 2014, 06:12 AM

Probably the most common BOs are:

Soviets: mixed Cons and Maxims in the early game, with a Guards/Shocks doctrine that includes a late-game armour call-in (ISU, IS2, T34/85s). Possibly go T3 for a T34 if it will punish the opponent particularly hard.

Ostheer: 3-4 Grens backed by Mgs and possibly a mortar. Go T2 for Paks and a light vehicle (222 for killing, halftrack for supporting infantry). Get a squad of Panzergrens if suitable. T3 is usually good idea for a Panzer 4 and/or Stug. Don't build T4 (too expensive), instead get a Tiger doctrine for the late-game.

US: 3-4 Riflemen as core, with BAR upgrade. Whether you go LT or Captain first is personal preference: LT is arguably better/more aggressive early, but can leave you vulnerable to vehicles in the mid-game. Unlock Major for the late game, with Jacksons taking care of late game Axis armour. Exact BO should be flexible, and is largely about which units you like.

OKW: Most common build is 3 Volks -> tech building. Go Battlegroup to get healing and the ISG to counter weapon teams. Go Mechanized for the Puma, which is a truly excellent all-round unit if microed well. Make sure you get Schreks on your Volk squads reasonably early. Late game, OKW usually need some form of elite infantry, either Obersoldaten or doctrinal troops. Either get a Panther, or save for a KT if confident. At least at first, using an MG34 doctine is strongly recommended, since otherwise the early game can be a little weak.
This. I do pretty much the same for Ostheer except no Panzer IV because of bad RNG following me everywhere. (3 shots bounced off a T34 3 games in a row, missing the killing shot and also immobilised from AT grenade)
31 Aug 2014, 10:29 AM

31 Aug 2014, 18:57 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Sup dude! look me up on steam sometime, lets do some games! =)
31 Aug 2014, 19:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Aug 2014, 18:57 PMSpanky
Sup dude! look me up on steam sometime, lets do some games! =)

savee <444>3
1 Sep 2014, 11:20 AM

Soviet BO vs Ostheer : Conscript, Conscript, Conscript, Molotov, Conscript, Doctrinal Infantry (Shocktroopers/Guards depending on the map) or PPSHs. If your doc has late game armour, just keep harassing with your 4 conscripts and (at least) 2 squads of doctrinal infantry until you're ready to field heavy armour. If not, spam T34s.

I see this strategy 90% of the time regardless of map or prior knowledge of your BO. Some people are a little more interesting with early T1/T2 but the safest way to play a 1v1 is generally conscripts and Guards/Shocks.

Soviet BO vs OKW : (If you're on an open map) Sniper, Scout-car, Conscript, Sniper, Guard spam, T34/85s (Barton Approved :snfBarton: )

American BO vs Ostheer: Rifle, Rifle, Vet Rifle, Ambulance, Lieut, M20, M4A1-AAHT, Captain, (Optional) AT Guns, Ez8s (Or Standard rifle instead of Vet Rifle and Major->Jacksons/Shermans instead of Ez8s if you don't have rifle company). This strats virtually unbeatable at the moment unless you get insanely lucky with a tellar.

American BO vs OKW: Rifle, Rifle, Rifle, Ambulance, Lieut, MGs, Captain, (Optional) AT Gun(s), Major, Jackson (Or Vet Rifle instead of third rifle and Ez8s instead of Major/Jackson).

Ostheer vs Americans: Gren, Gren/MG42, Gren, Gren/MG42, T2, PaK, Pgrens, PaK. Never, ever use non-doctrinal armour against the Americans unless you actually have superior map control (Which if you can pull off against the Americans on anything other than Langres against a competent player going the standard American vs Ost BO, you deserve a medal). Generally transition into either a Tiger or, if you've gone Tiger Ace, PIVs into Tiger Ace.

Ostheer vs Sovs: I feel like this is one of the few matchups you can't really go into a game with a single, preplanned BO. There are quite a few which work equally well. Both doctrinal and non-doctrinal armour are valid choices.

I'm not even going to do an OKW BO list because there's such a variety of shit you can do which'll work.

24 Oct 2014, 00:52 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Sep 2014, 11:20 AMAlbus

American BO vs OKW: Rifle, Rifle, Rifle, Ambulance, Lieut, MGs, Captain, (Optional) AT Gun(s), Major, Jackson (Or Vet Rifle instead of third rifle and Ez8s instead of Major/Jackson).

kidding? what will you do against kubels and sturm pios in early game?
24 Oct 2014, 00:57 AM

He posted that before the Kubel buff.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight