Login

russian armor

Knights and Merchants Remake

30 Aug 2014, 10:03 AM
Patrion 310

The following game has been totally reworked by fans, it is made much more bugfree and it now supports high resolutions, ingame online game browser, dedicated servers, adjustable gamespeed and Peacetime, replay system, mapmaker. (And much more)

See for a short comparison:
http://www.knightsandmerchants.net/information/kam-remake/comparison

The game is found here, and requires the original Peasants Rebellion, buyable on the second link. Buying it there, will partly support this Fan-team that has made it possible to play K&M multiplayer like this.

http://www.kamremake.com/
http://www.gog.com/game/knights_and_merchants_the_peasants_rebellion?pp=8cc9fcd9fdbef641b5d23f4a80588138107a1f1b

Wikipedia:
Knights and Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom is a medieval-time based real-time strategy (RTS) video game. It was developed by Joymania Entertainment (since changed to Joymania Development) and published by TopWare Interactive in 1998. The player takes the role of the captain of the palace guards and leads the soldiers and citizens to victory. The game did not receive a strong critical or popular reception in the UK and the US, but elsewhere it was more popular, consequently a follow up game was released called Knights and Merchants: The Peasants Rebellion.

I would like to ask you all to try this awesome reworked game. It has the charm of the original, but the functionality of a modern game and a decent active community. For the no rush fans there is the 90 min PT, 2,5x PT-speed and 2x speed afterwards. For the skilled people the 70 min PT, 2x speed. There are more open maps, or more closed, easily defendable maps. Either way, everyone gets some sugar.

Here you can find the forums, a good shoutcaster and in his shoutcasts; examples of the complex strategies that are possible (rushes, iron focused, and defensive).
http://www.knightsandmerchants.net/forum/index.php
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKBFrxs9ERo8BrxP_EVsoJw

30 Aug 2014, 10:16 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

HOLY SHIT

I looooooved this game as a child! To this day ive never had so much enjoyment out of building your city complete with the traffic jam at your storage building :D
Only downside was that the AI would build no combat units or would just pump out the most elite infantry in no time. Reading the changelog ai is still limited but might come later on :(
i have to admit i never managed to finish both campaigns, those were some hard missions

I never played multiplayer on this game so is it any fun? Because i can see matches taking super long with the economy you have to build up?

Thank you for this! now to find my original CD
30 Aug 2014, 10:21 AM
Patrion 310

AI has been strongly improved I believe (building an army and towers to defend)
As I said, multiplayer can been setup as you wish. You set Peace Time (No rush) and the Game speed for this period of time + afterwards.

Most games are 80-90 min PT with 2,5x speed in PT and 2x speed afterwards. This means a game takes 80/2,5 + combat time, which is mostly 40-60 min. A really decent time.

High skilled players play 70 min PT, so getting food economy and/or Weapon production and/or tower defense becomes impossible to do all at the same time, opening up possibilities for a diversity of strategies.

These games mostly take 30-40 minutes, as you can see in the Youtube Channel I posted.
30 Aug 2014, 10:22 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

oh yeah sorry forgot to check tha tlink will do later on :)
30 Aug 2014, 10:25 AM
Patrion 310

I can tell your dutch. You could also add me to steam and we can play together some time.
30 Aug 2014, 10:31 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Yeah sounds good but I always played this game super campy, but you should add me because your steam id is set to private :p

Oh and one thing I could never figure out, in the storage house you can click the resource and a red triangle will popup in the top right corner. What does this do? I figured it would keep your resource inside the storage but i never seen that happen.
30 Aug 2014, 10:40 AM
Patrion 310

the other way around, it keeps the wares out of the warehouses (it is directly enabled for all warehouses if you have multiple). In the remake you can also do it for the Barracks I think.

You can always play it campy, but I prefer some more intense und time-pressured management.
30 Aug 2014, 11:22 AM
Patrion 15

played this game back in the day and really liked it.

i even played a couple of lan games vs a friend.
the games where fun but if i remember correctly, the multiplayer suffered from some conceptual flaws.

while the tactical element of the fighting was actually very good, the economy was way too fragile.

games where going like this: no rush buildup for half an hour or so, then declaration of war, the 2 armys met and the player who won the first and only skirmish was able to completly wreck the other guys economy for good.
30 Aug 2014, 11:33 AM
Patrion 310

played this game back in the day and really liked it.

i even played a couple of lan games vs a friend.
the games where fun but if i remember correctly, the multiplayer suffered from some conceptual flaws.

while the tactical element of the fighting was actually very good, the economy was way too fragile.

games where going like this: no rush buildup for half an hour or so, then declaration of war, the 2 armys met and the player who won the first and only skirmish was able to completly wreck the other guys economy for good.

while that is indeed a risk, during a well played fight you deal a good blow to the enemy. Your defenses and army will again have grown since your economy is still running and you can fight the left-over enemy troops. The high-skilled matches I've seen were often quite close, with troops divided to flank the enemy economy.

Even then, I consider the economy part important, making it a lot of fun to see if you can optimize your BO.
30 Aug 2014, 12:40 PM

I'm playing this remake for about a year now and it's awesome!
30 Aug 2014, 12:54 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

quite a popular game in teh netherlands I see :p
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak