Login

russian armor

A plea to my fellow Soviet players.

29 Aug 2014, 07:23 AM

Comrade fellow Soviet team game players.

Please, please, please, stop spamming maxims.
All I see you doing with your maxims is attempting to advance early on and succeeding decently with lots of suppressed enemy units, but the maxims are so badly mauled that they can't push forward and actually take anything.
In the meantime your opposite OKW/OH number has gleefully taken the territory, with some minor inconvenience to themselves and is now proceeding to lock down their territory with MGs and Mortars. They are now waiting for vehicles.
Meanwhile you are facing this wall of bunkers or MGs you decide to get an AT gun or mortar to push things out, fair enough. But then you spam them.
Meanwhile your opponent has brought out vehicles or Stukas and now proceeds to trample all over your maxim spam. Your maxims, with no AT capabilities whatsoever, now are easy meat for any vehicles and your support weapons can't do squat against that Stuka.
you vainly bring out some shocktroops in the hope of making things better, but in the face of vehicles and vetted obers, you can do nothing.
You are now down to roughly 2-3 squads, one of those is an engie squad that you've had the entire game, the others are perhaps a conscript or a few shocktroops. That is precisely when I look to see why you've made no progress on your flank and I can see the results.
It's all the more irritating, because I might have at this point 4 cons, 2 guards and perhaps 2 engies to go with it, as well as snipers, SU-76Ms and the like.
Would it be so hard not to go for something other than maxims? When that is the result...?

(In all seriousness, everytime I'm in a 2v2 and I see some poor newb maxim spamming, I know it's a far better than even chance that we lose... it's not fun and I see it every game. Whatever the axis fanboy's rhetoric on how OP maxims are, the fact is that I've yet to see such a spam survive into late game without massive losses and multiple wipes of their maxims (and 240mp down the drain each time). It drives me insane. )

Undoubtedly many Soviet units could do with tweaks and I'm not saying the maxim needs buffing, but I hate seeing it spammed, it does its job well, but when spammed its such a blunt instrument that its dead simple for an axis player to use cover or what have you to flank and annihilate the spam...

29 Aug 2014, 08:58 AM
Patrion 27

OK... I don't spam Maxims and I won't start. GG
29 Aug 2014, 10:25 AM

The problem is that many player go to far with the maxims, I currently get one conscript, 3 Maxims and then I start with Guards, shocks, maybe a mortar and/or a field gun. More then 4 maxims is a most of the time gg in the lategame.
29 Aug 2014, 10:30 AM

I have to say that this is quite true. I've had tougher games against conscript players then against Maxim players.
29 Aug 2014, 10:47 AM

Sniper start needs much more skill, cons spam=intentionally feeding your enemy
29 Aug 2014, 14:49 PM

Unless we get a non doctrinal infantry that's worthwhile: NO
29 Aug 2014, 16:53 PM

Permanently Banned
I like spamming maxims. it works :P i have three maxim bulletins in my loadout :P
29 Aug 2014, 16:53 PM

The Bear's have been learning to Maxim like a pro.

29 Aug 2014, 17:14 PM

I've never had a problem countering Maxims. So OP is correct.
29 Aug 2014, 17:36 PM

Talking about pure team games here (2vs2 and up): Maxims do their job and can hold ground decently while cons are very flimsy against OKW. Problem is that if you go T1 for Penals/Snipers you'll have no AT gun whichs forces you to choose a doctrine with Guards that in return narrows your late game options. Maxims also works better late game when they can hold vital key points in case of emergency. The only good cons will do to you late game is to hide behind a corner and throw AT-nades.

Cons and penals scale horribly to the late game and they are no real threat to the enemy. Maxims are also not too good late game but they can, at least, force off lonely capping squads on important points on the map and follow your tanks so they can suppress enemy AT-infantry.
29 Aug 2014, 21:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Aug 2014, 16:53 PMNapalm
The Bear's have been learning to Maxim like a pro. ]

Brilliant. +10
29 Aug 2014, 22:14 PM

Marco, no offence man, but thats outright nonsense. A well microed Maxim spam is perhaps the strongest genericc Soviet strat in the current meta, especially in 2v2, and even more so when coupled with Soviet T1, and is very difficult to counter. Of course you should not stay in Tier 2 and wait for call-ins. Just translate your early map advantage into fast armour, et voila. Later seal the deal with IS-2, B-4, ISU (boooh).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight