Login

russian armor

Question for Dullahan.

27 Aug 2014, 21:08 PM

How do you use Osttruppen against the Americans and what is the BO and the basic idea behind the strat? I find that the best they can kill is the RE and nothing more. And they die without dealing much damage against Riflemen even if you use 2-3 squads.
27 Aug 2014, 23:11 PM

I think only the mobile defence Osttruppen can fight US, and they can really fight well.
Just because of their LMG42, they are better than Grens if they have it.

else, they are trash.
28 Aug 2014, 02:39 AM

Ostruppen are absolute garbage as of the last patch which nerfed them.

I wouldn't recommend using them at all in any scenario.
28 Aug 2014, 05:01 AM

Maaaaybe to recrew support weapons....
28 Aug 2014, 05:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2014, 23:11 PMPorygon
I think only the mobile defence Osttruppen can fight US, and they can really fight well.
Just because of their LMG42, they are better than Grens if they have it.

else, they are trash.
What do you mean they are better than Grens if they have it?
28 Aug 2014, 06:22 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Aug 2014, 05:32 AMsteel
What do you mean they are better than Grens if they have it?

more durable and a significant amount of the dps of lmggrens comes from the lmg anyway.
28 Aug 2014, 10:27 AM

Does the Mobile defense ostruppen spawn lmgs every time or is it RNG?
28 Aug 2014, 10:49 AM

Its random, about 50/50 in my experience but you can get both with LMGs or neither.
28 Aug 2014, 22:11 PM

I'll have to get some new reps for this, but the basic idea is this.

Early game, Ostruppen can soooort of hold their own. They won't kill anything 1 vs 1, but if they're in decent cover they won't really die, either. This gives you time to support with another squad or a flame pio. So you can still contest map control. Unlike Grens, who will tend to lose 1-2 men and then it becomes very risky to keep them around. Ostruppen absorb more damage, and are cheaper, allowing you to funnel your resources towards faster tech and better units (pgrens) which can definitely go toe to toe with rifles. On maps with buildings, these guys can hold out for a loooong time giving you time to tech and get your shock units out.

My basic strategy was to use 3-4 ostruppen with flame pio to kind of contest, while I skip t1 and go straight to t2 for pgrens and halftrack. With the halftrack, your ostruppen suddenly become essentially immortal. (Cheap & fast reinforce), and pgrens function like how OKW would use sturmpios. Follow up with a Pak in case he goes for a light vehicle, and then you're kind of free to tech up for an Ostwind/pzIV.

The main weakness of this strategy is once you reach mid-late game and he has accrued veteran infantry, if you don't really have overwhelming vehicle firepower or done a good job getting vetted pgrens, you'll tend to struggle as you Ostruppen are REALLY useless at this point for much more than capping. Which is why I do kind of like to build as much defenses as possible (S mines and a well placed teller or two) to try and make it hard for my opponent to really come back.

I generally prefer to go for a mg heavy strat these days, but mostly because I like having more doctrine versatility and I have a boner for ambush camoflauge. But I do really like Ostruppen for an early game map control force. They really fall off in effectiveness by the time medium vehicles hit the field though.

29 Aug 2014, 06:20 AM

I'll have to get some new reps for this, but the basic idea is this.

Early game, Ostruppen can soooort of hold their own. They won't kill anything 1 vs 1, but if they're in decent cover they won't really die, either. This gives you time to support with another squad or a flame pio. So you can still contest map control. Unlike Grens, who will tend to lose 1-2 men and then it becomes very risky to keep them around. Ostruppen absorb more damage, and are cheaper, allowing you to funnel your resources towards faster tech and better units (pgrens) which can definitely go toe to toe with rifles. On maps with buildings, these guys can hold out for a loooong time giving you time to tech and get your shock units out.

My basic strategy was to use 3-4 ostruppen with flame pio to kind of contest, while I skip t1 and go straight to t2 for pgrens and halftrack. With the halftrack, your ostruppen suddenly become essentially immortal. (Cheap & fast reinforce), and pgrens function like how OKW would use sturmpios. Follow up with a Pak in case he goes for a light vehicle, and then you're kind of free to tech up for an Ostwind/pzIV.

The main weakness of this strategy is once you reach mid-late game and he has accrued veteran infantry, if you don't really have overwhelming vehicle firepower or done a good job getting vetted pgrens, you'll tend to struggle as you Ostruppen are REALLY useless at this point for much more than capping. Which is why I do kind of like to build as much defenses as possible (S mines and a well placed teller or two) to try and make it hard for my opponent to really come back.

I generally prefer to go for a mg heavy strat these days, but mostly because I like having more doctrine versatility and I have a boner for ambush camoflauge. But I do really like Ostruppen for an early game map control force. They really fall off in effectiveness by the time medium vehicles hit the field though.

Here's an iron cross for you okwokw

Anyway, from what I see it seems you don't even go T1 for the whole game so no panzerfaust so it seems a bit hard to fight those light vehicles and tanks later on. Still I'm gonna need to try out this strat against other players. Thanks.
29 Aug 2014, 16:31 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

ostruppen have a panzerfaust
30 Aug 2014, 01:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Aug 2014, 16:31 PMRomeo
ostruppen have a panzerfaust
Can't use it without Infanterie Kompanie :\
31 Aug 2014, 02:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Aug 2014, 06:20 AMsteel
Here's an iron cross for you okwokw

Anyway, from what I see it seems you don't even go T1 for the whole game so no panzerfaust so it seems a bit hard to fight those light vehicles and tanks later on. Still I'm gonna need to try out this strat against other players. Thanks.

Yeah, I kind of gamble and rely on pak + teller mines for my At needs. Jeep doctrine will really mess this BO up, but you could always just build the t1 structure for fausts if you really need to.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 55
unknown 17
Germany 16
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %