Login

russian armor

US Mobile Artillery idea (M20 Command Car)

26 Aug 2014, 05:09 AM

Basically a unit proposal, since the US have no mobile artillery like the Panzerwerfer or Stuka zu fuß. Most people's go-to suggestion is the Calliope rocket launcher, but those were rare and there could be problems with such a heavily armoured launcher.

Instead, what if after researching Captain or Major, the M20 would get an upgrade to replace it's mines with a radio, which would allow it to call in artillery strikes. Functionally, it'd act just like any other mobile artillery unit. It's also in-tune with the real-life US doctrine of rapid and accurate artillery fire.

If I've explained it badly, think of it as a Panzerwerfer but with shells (cosmetic different only) that come from off-map instead of the unit.
26 Aug 2014, 05:45 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Upgrades usually don't cost fuel, and 20 fuel for an artillery unit- even with a munitions cost tacked on- would be pretty extreme.

Another problem- no distinctive rocket noise, so it would be hard to properly 'telegraph' the attack.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it would really work. I'd rather just have a nondoctrinal 105mm howitzer that could be built be REs after T4 was teched.
27 Aug 2014, 18:21 PM
Patrion 15

Upgrades usually don't cost fuel, and 20 fuel for an artillery unit- even with a munitions cost tacked on- would be pretty extreme.

Another problem- no distinctive rocket noise, so it would be hard to properly 'telegraph' the attack.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it would really work. I'd rather just have a nondoctrinal 105mm howitzer that could be built be REs after T4 was teched.

Couldn't it drop smoke like other off maps? If it operated similar to the recon pathfinders this could be interesting, perhaps with a slightly longer delay as that offmap is pretty brutal.
27 Aug 2014, 18:27 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

This would basically be exactly the same as the coh1 walking stuka. After teching to t4, spend munitions to upgrade a t2 light vehicle with artillery.

Made sense in the coh1 tech strutcture, don't think it makes sense here.

You can always fake it by crewing an M8 with I&R pathfinders and dismounting to get a better radio signal :P
27 Aug 2014, 18:29 PM

The idea is kind of... counter productive considering the fact that Major already can call in arty strikes.

Yes, its slowest and absolutely worst and overpriced strike in game, but that is a balance concern(tbh no reason why major arty sucks considering USF are meant to be the arty faction yet for some reason have worst indirect fire options out of all armies) and he can still do it.
27 Aug 2014, 18:39 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

What if the major could use his abilities from inside a vehicle? Just teleport him into the M20 and now it can call in recon, smoke, and artillery, effectively turning it into a command vehicle. That would be pretty awesome.

But yeah major artillery sucks right now.
27 Aug 2014, 19:03 PM

That the T34 launcher was rare doesn't really matter, I mean only like 50 Ostwinds existed.
27 Aug 2014, 20:56 PM

M8 Scott is mobile artillery, no? Otherwise nice suggestions.
27 Aug 2014, 21:07 PM

M8 Scott is mobile artillery, no? Otherwise nice suggestions.

Its as much mobile arty as mortar HT is.
28 Aug 2014, 01:15 AM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2014, 21:07 PMKatitof

Its as much mobile arty as mortar HT is.

You might be surprised at how well the M8 penetrates vehicle armor sometimes...
29 Aug 2014, 01:07 AM

The Scot isn't directly comparable to either mortar or rocket arty. It's kind of its own thing. It's also a fantastic unit currently.

I do want a calliope doctrine tho.

And Rangers.

And Pershing.

;)
29 Aug 2014, 01:20 AM
Honorary Member Badge

You might be surprised at how well the M8 penetrates vehicle armor sometimes...

It's undoubtedly very good at direct fire- probably too good, capable of oneshotting squads with alarming regularity while also dealing reliable damage every shot, something even the bulldozer or sherman sometimes fail to match- but in the actual role of 'artillery' it's pretty damn bad... i'd say far worse than the pack howitzer's autofire.

It would be nice if Relic could adjust it towards what is probably it's intended role as a light artillery vehicle with direct fire capability (i.e. bombardment speed/damage/splash up, direct fire shot slowed down and given reduced splash) rather than leave the US faction without any good vehicle based artillery lategame, and giving it a spammable one-shot-one-squad turreted stug E with smoke to compensate.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 42
Germany 36

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment