Login

russian armor

Company of Heroes 2 is too zoomed in.

25 Aug 2014, 16:12 PM

I've always wished I could zoom out just at least a little bit more in CoH2. It was one of the first things I noticed in beta: that the game seemed much more zoomed in than it's predecessor, and more than seemed comfortable.

It's often a challenge to maneuver any sort of flank without extensive movement of the screen, and this is even on the highest resolution. I feel like this has translated to a strange array of balances, where unit sight and weapon ranges seem oddly short, and flanks are pulled off because players simply didn't see the maneuver rather than being out maneuvered in some fashion.

With everything feeling so strangely boxed in I have found it quite difficult to keep a steady and watchful eye on not only diversion forces, but even the forces being actively maneuvered in a contested zone.

How alone and sadface am I in this sentiment? ;)
25 Aug 2014, 19:56 PM
Patrion 27

It has been mentioned many times before but they don't care. #workingasintended.
25 Aug 2014, 20:00 PM

Actually, camera distance is exactly the same as it was in coh1.
25 Aug 2014, 20:11 PM

It has been mentioned many times before but they don't care. #workingasintended.

ugh... Such brute honesty.

Anyways, they said that if they increased the sight, they would have to up the minimum specs (which they dont want to do). Low minimum specs allow people with toasters to run the game, hence more money.

On a side note, the optimization is pretty damn bad. Probably cuz of WFA...
25 Aug 2014, 20:35 PM

A long time ago, and only for a short while, modding was enabled in CoH2. And it was glorious i can tell you. Among others you could zoom out much farther, tanks didn't had their ugly blue/red/yellow/pink trimmings and factions could speak in their native language.

It really made CoH2 a much more enjoyable experience.

And then, mod support stopped. For reasons only relic may know.
25 Aug 2014, 21:47 PM

+1

I also would like it, since in COH2 the range does matter more then vCOH. Just a little bit more zoom out!
25 Aug 2014, 21:51 PM

If i would zoom out more i would have laggs... :-/
25 Aug 2014, 22:00 PM
Donator 11

If i would zoom out more i would have laggs... :-/

Thats the reason why zoom out is blocked.
25 Aug 2014, 23:12 PM
Donator 33

Took me a while to figure this out but using different parts of the screen helps immensely. For instance the front of the screen is often ok for infantry, but you can't see the whole range of a pak until you get halfway up the screen. At the top of the screen pak range is only 2/3 of the screen width so you can comfortably fit the entire firing arc.

Not sure if this will help OP, but I see a lot of people complaining they can't even see what their tanks are shooting at, which is a screen usage issue rather than zoom.
26 Aug 2014, 15:26 PM

The zoom level of CoH1 and 2 are exactly the same.

I have done a side by side comparison, even overlaying two images on top of each other on maps ported from CoH1 to 2.

What's actually changed is that a lot of things in the game have longer ranges, such as all the tanks and AT guns. This means stuff tends to happen across multiple screen lengths of range more often.

I think it's a problem, but the solution is more complex than to just zoom out.
26 Aug 2014, 15:59 PM

Also if you tilt the camara you can see that units stop being rendered after a certain distance. If you could zoom out anymore you would see units dissapeer at the edges.
In other words it would make the game more demanding and add even more lag to do.
27 Aug 2014, 01:52 AM

i just wish they had an alternate/minalimistic hud design for experienced players. a lot of the hud could really be trimmed down, the entire center section for instance is just general unit information and doesnt really contain gameplay information or buttons.

the unit vet info really isnt that important. i like to check that stuff out when i see replays sometimes, but during the game i dont really ever stop to check out how close a unit is to vetting up or how many kills he has. I'd rather have that section of the screen opened up for a larger gameplay view.

The commander buttons could just be slid to the bottom of the screen.

then add a new hotkey, maybe something like ctrl+g which toggles between minimal hud and full hud.

9 Nov 2014, 13:45 PM

Being able to zoom out further is something I wish they had done from the start on original CoH. It really bugs me, and is a big distraction while playing. It's like trying to read a map, but only allowed to look through a little hole, having to scan it all over map to see what't going on.

As to the comments that it would up the minimum specs, I doubt it. Take a look at R.U.S.E. for a beautifully done zoom feature. You don't just keep making the individual units smaller & smaller and track more and more of them as you zoom out, at some point you go from "Tactical View" to "Strategic View" (again, done seemlessely in R.U.S.E.)

I don't understand why the community doesn't push more for this. I mean, it's not like it would take anything away from people who want to play the game "zoomed in" all the time, and it would really help to give that nice overview of the situation, seeing the entire battlefield at once.
9 Nov 2014, 13:57 PM

Permanently Banned
Being able to zoom out further is something I wish they had done from the start on original CoH. It really bugs me, and is a big distraction while playing. It's like trying to read a map, but only allowed to look through a little hole, having to scan it all over map to see what't going on.

As to the comments that it would up the minimum specs, I doubt it. Take a look at R.U.S.E. for a beautifully done zoom feature. You don't just keep making the individual units smaller & smaller and track more and more of them as you zoom out, at some point you go from "Tactical View" to "Strategic View" (again, done seemlessely in R.U.S.E.)

I don't understand why the community doesn't push more for this. I mean, it's not like it would take anything away from people who want to play the game "zoomed in" all the time, and it would really help to give that nice overview of the situation, seeing the entire battlefield at once.

This has continously been pushed for since the earliest stages of the game. The official answer is that they wont do it because the necessary performance would go up. That would give an unfair advantage to those with decent computers as they'd be able to see more of the battlefield, compared to those with crappy comps. The community wants it, Relic doesent. Simple as that.

At least you can play with zoom out mods now.
9 Nov 2014, 14:09 PM

You can see the entire battlefield at once in CoH2. Tac Map is your friend.
10 Nov 2014, 00:21 AM

i just wish they had an alternate/minalimistic hud design for experienced players. a lot of the hud could really be trimmed down, the entire center section for instance is just general unit information and doesnt really contain gameplay information or buttons.

This. The interface design is really bad, with that HUD occupying much more space than it needs to.
12 Nov 2014, 17:36 PM

i think the real issue is just how much space the hud takes up, they need to redision the center bottom area so it doesnt take up the whole width of the screen. the only stuff down there is the XP/kills of the unit and the commander abilities. the rest of that big block of space is just wasted real estate. you could see so much more if that wasnt there.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★