Login

russian armor

Combined Arms Strats

25 Aug 2014, 14:28 PM

Hi comrades of the glorious Soviet Union :)

I want to ask you all about the viability of combined arms vs OKW and OST. What do you guys do and how does it work out for you?

I don't think I can micro well enough to keep my sniper useful in the early game so I always build a T2. I build a couple of Maxims, conscripts and mortars and I try to support all my units whenever I push or defend. I also pump out an AT gun eventually if I think the enemy is going for a vehicle. The barrage ability is also very nice for blobs or campers. If I see that our team is winning, I go T3 and build tanks. If the other team is camping a lot or blobby, I build T4 and go for a Katyusha and SU85. I really like this strategy and I do alright with it (but the wins aren't coming :help:

Obviously I don't play at a very high level, and only teamgames (you can look at my shitty player card). Just wanted your opinions on combined arms versus Axis

25 Aug 2014, 17:28 PM

My shitty player card comes with a lot of using different strategies vs. anyone. I'm currently trying to stay away from doing the same old call-in routine, it has been working so far. Knowing a bit about how the units work and having a good map-action sense is rewarding.

Maybe economically it's more consuming, but breaking the meta "breaks" (oops) the expectations of other players about what you're gonna do, and the element of surprise does have its benefits.

I like to build 3 of the soviet buildings, just to have the options; I usually go for for T2-T3, backtech to T1 or go T4.

Again, it's my shitty player card that gives the ultimate answer, though.

EDIT: bad, bad typo
27 Aug 2014, 05:49 AM

Just hold out with T1 and 2 then save up for a few heavy tanks (ISU vs ost, others vs OKW).
27 Aug 2014, 05:59 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

T2 + T4 + Counterattack Tactics Doctrine

Con, Maxim, Maxim, Con (Or Maxim), Engi (or Mortar, but I hate soviet Mortar), AT Gun, Shocks, T4 -> SU85, Kat, KV1s.

The extra engi is for laying mines mostly. They're cheap and can cap territory. This is a very good team game build. Build a B4 if the situation calls for it.
27 Aug 2014, 14:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2014, 05:59 AMOhme
T2 + T4 + Counterattack Tactics Doctrine

Con, Maxim, Maxim, Con (Or Maxim), Engi (or Mortar, but I hate soviet Mortar), AT Gun, Shocks, T4 -> SU85, Kat, KV1s.

The extra engi is for laying mines mostly. They're cheap and can cap territory. This is a very good team game build. Build a B4 if the situation calls for it.

thank you everyone for all your suggestions, especially ohme! I will have to test these strats out. What makes counterattack doctrine optimal for combined arms, ohme? I don't have it but maybe I will have to get it
27 Aug 2014, 15:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2014, 14:28 PMNinjaWJ
Hi comrades of the glorious Soviet Union :)

I want to ask you all about the viability of combined arms vs OKW and OST. What do you guys do and how does it work out for you?

I don't think I can micro well enough to keep my sniper useful in the early game so I always build a T2. I build a couple of Maxims, conscripts and mortars and I try to support all my units whenever I push or defend. I also pump out an AT gun eventually if I think the enemy is going for a vehicle. The barrage ability is also very nice for blobs or campers. If I see that our team is winning, I go T3 and build tanks. If the other team is camping a lot or blobby, I build T4 and go for a Katyusha and SU85. I really like this strategy and I do alright with it (but the wins aren't coming :help:

Obviously I don't play at a very high level, and only teamgames (you can look at my shitty player card). Just wanted your opinions on combined arms versus Axis

Here is a solid combined arms strat I refined over the course of Coh2 for soviet vs Ostheer:

con
con
build T1
penal
M3
Penal
guard
T2
Maxim, mortar, or zis depending on the map and what is spotted
Maxim, mortar, or zis depending on what you spotted earlier and did not buy last (I.E. if you got a maxim, get a Zis)
from here probably another guard squad
T3 or T4 depending on what doc you chose (if you chose guards motor, no need to get T3, get T4)

This strat was originaly for ISU mech support doc (I loved the ISU since coh2 came out even though it sucked)

You'll notice there are no HQ upgrades. I generally do not get molotovs, but AT nades and Healing is essential to the game. you should get at least one of the upgrades before T2 is dropped and the other before T3 is dropped.

Key points with this build:
first M3 is for either a penal squad or an engineer squad. It is ment to flank, chase down weak units, or drop off a penal squad to satchel a bunker. This M3 is very important in keeping your opponent forced back, Do not over extend this unit unless it is for a large gain. Keep it in the back as a mobile defense/ support unit

This build is munitions starved, try to ration out your abilities and mines

after the second penal is out, Cap points in pairs, one penal and one conscript squad. Keep your guards along your defensive line near your weapons teams. Guards with DP's are key to holding the line effectively

Original this build was ment to have T4 only back when Su-85s were awesome and T34s sucked something terrible. T3 is a much more valid choice in current times, though on some maps getting an SU-85 is really good.

last of all, combined arms only works if you are using combined arms. What this means is your units need to be in arms reach of each other to be effective and supported. A lone guard squad can get picked off easily and like wise if you accidentally have two penals on one side of the map a 221/222 will ruin your day
3 Sep 2014, 18:34 PM

I have found a good combined arms tactic that is very effective at defending or pushing. I found this to be very effective in teamplay when you want to push a side hard. T2 is required for this.

You want

1 Engineer
2+ infantry units like Conscripts, Guards, or Shocks
2 Maxims
1 Mortar
1-2 At Guns

Whenever you push, you want your troops to be arranged like this:

Mortar->At Guns->Maxims->Infantry

Tanks can be on the flanks or in the back for support

This is a great setup because your troops can screen for your support weapons. Infantry are at the front to throw nades and soak damage. Maxims help suppress and pin enemy infantry while your infantry and mortar squad destroy the enemy. The At guns can help provide support against armor, barrage clumped up troops, or to destroy defenses. Imagine a "leapfrog" maneuver where you are moving your troops up to support each other, and don't forget to move your support weapons up.

Watch out for artillery like Stuka because that can ruin your day. Try not to blob as well because a good grenade or mortar shot can wreck you. Usually, the enemy will be helpless or too distracted, since they are focused on your infantry or tanks. Your support weapons can then go to town on the enemy.

Not sure how well this works on 1v1 but this works wonders in team games where you are giving support to your buddy. I hope you guys benefit form this and thanks for reading.

Rob
4 Sep 2014, 12:34 PM

This is a build order I have being using with some success in team games BUT it relies very heavily on your team mates doing specific builds too.

Engi (flamethrower) > Sniper > Sniper > Engi (flamethrower) > Shocks > T34 > T34 > IS2 (then just more snipers/IS2's)

I have found this to pair up really well with my USF team mates doing rifle and Sherman spam. It gives you the ability to shred incoming OKW infantry in the midgame and the IS2 (sometimes I get two of 'em!) is critical to fight the Axis heavy tanks in the late game.

The biggest weakness is not standing a chance in the early game on your own, so retreat if needed and stay in support of your mates USF riflemen squads to shield your snipers.

So yeah, NO conscripts or maxims :O OMG
4 Sep 2014, 16:39 PM

Hey Guys tried the 4v4 combined arms strat take a look

http://www.coh2.org/replay/23599/combined-arms-strat
4 Sep 2014, 17:51 PM

damn, it is on a WFA map, I cannot watch it. Could you please post a summary? :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★