Login

russian armor

MG's in houses suck

26 Aug 2014, 17:56 PM

Attack move works, yeah. However, the second something is not in range of the MG, the mg packs up and starts chugging over to that point. It's a very dangerous thing to use for an MG, because it has the potential to leave your MG out of position at a moment's notice. Once it's decided to pack up and reposition, all is lost. Preventing that initial pack up from triggering is key, and there are a LOT of things that can obscure an MG's sight.

Smoke grenades, a halftrack blowing up and blinding the entire front with the fire, or simply a retreat or crawling behind a sight blocking tree or fence are quick ways to see that happen. The MG has to be given additional orders to stop attack moving before the target retreats or leaves range/sight.

This is less about how to use an MG in general, and more about how the MG42 has so many lengthy timers that the unit goes from being effective to completely and invariably useless at the drop of a hat for a multitude of reasons.
27 Aug 2014, 04:05 AM

The MG will randomly hop windows, even if it has a stationary target in front of it.

The behavior is hard coded into the game and even modders will be unable to fix it.

Tl;dr, MGs were made to be utter dog crap when in buildings by Relic as a conscious decision, and one that I really don't agree with at all.

But hey, it's Relic, and they can do no wrong, right?

/sarcasm
27 Aug 2014, 09:09 AM

If it was a conscious decision, the most reasonable decision would have been to simply not let Machine Guns enter buildings...
27 Aug 2014, 10:40 AM

Or just to unify set up/ de set up time in houses so it's equal for every HMG.
Maxim in a building is a no-brainer while MG42 I'd personally never garrison.
27 Aug 2014, 13:38 PM

I don't think having HMGs have equal set p/de set up time is as balanced as you might think.

Both the MG42 and Maxim have their strenghts/weaknesses and having them in houses is no exception. Maxim still have their less suppression and faster set up time while the MG42 is still a great defensive unit with a sh*tty set up time.

Whatt could be done is maybe give the MG42 a bonus suppression in buildings as a benefit of having them inside them. The maxim doesn't need any more bonus because it gets a wider arc.
27 Aug 2014, 22:51 PM

Same set up time in houses only.

Right now it is so Maxim actually benefits from being garrisoned while MG42 becomes almost completely useless.
I don't really think that's fair.
27 Aug 2014, 22:54 PM

I don't think having HMGs have equal set p/de set up time is as balanced as you might think.

Both the MG42 and Maxim have their strenghts/weaknesses and having them in houses is no exception. Maxim still have their less suppression and faster set up time while the MG42 is still a great defensive unit with a sh*tty set up time.

Whatt could be done is maybe give the MG42 a bonus suppression in buildings as a benefit of having them inside them. The maxim doesn't need any more bonus because it gets a wider arc.
I like this idea actually and seem like a good buff.
28 Aug 2014, 13:54 PM

Same set up time in houses only.

Right now it is so Maxim actually benefits from being garrisoned while MG42 becomes almost completely useless.
I don't really think that's fair.

I think having HMGs in houses should still play to their strengths and weaknesses and not turn them into a generic unit with same stats.
Vaz
28 Aug 2014, 20:34 PM

I've seen a bug where the gunner keeps changing windows on 1 side of the house instead of firing. It was on the right side of city 17, I believe it was my mg42 when I was playing Ost.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★