Login

russian armor

Jackson a discussion and compariosn

25 Aug 2014, 10:33 AM

Jackson could use smoke like puma has.
25 Aug 2014, 11:22 AM

From my very little experience i'll try to explain what is my problem: the problem with M36 isn't the M36 itself, it is how to support him ( well, he still prefear to suicide due to its pathing problems).
I'm facing a tiger supported with a Pak in a close map where flanking is not so easy: i can't use rifles as a meat shiel cos Tiger/king tiger will kill 3-4 mens with a shot, but i take the risk.
Now, my Jacksons shot, let's say, 6 shots: Tiger will easly revert and stay safe behind his pak+ hmg.
So, what i've archieved? Lost man power and probably mAp control due to my rifle retreating.
I can't use bazookas cos they just bounce off ( they cost 15 fuel+manpower to research, plus 60 muni: that. Means that getting 2 zookas cost the same amount of ammo i use to get 2 panzershreks plus thr manpower and fuel, but well...shreks are way better).
I can't use AT guns cos rocket artillery will rape them and tiger can easly decrew them just standing in front of them bouncing off shots while shoting to my crew, and if i try to damage his engine with rifle AT nade, he can just revert shoting to my rifle squad.
My jacksons can't trade with tiger + pak plus probably grens+pgrens.

What am I doing wrong?

I think the solution is that Jacksons really neds to SCARE german heavy tanks, without let them turtling with hmgs and paks. Give him the possibility to use better ammo at vet0 and some escape possibility would be nice!

i hope i've explained myself;)
25 Aug 2014, 11:33 AM

Jackson, armour of T-70, gun of Jagdtiger, range of SU-85, pure balance (i'm mostly disgusted by the fact it deal more damage than Tiger, IS-2 and Elefant) :snfBarton:
25 Aug 2014, 15:43 PM

A big problem is that the Jackson is bad at finishing damaged enemies. Once the Tiger retreats behind his AT gun screen, there's pretty much nothing you can do. Infantry doesn't move fast enough (and zooks are bad against tanks anyway), Jackson gets wrecked by Paks, what else do you have if the heavy retreats around a corner? Send in a Sherman and pray to the RNG gods he doesn't bounce on the tiger's rear? I'm not being facetious, has anyone found a reliable way to get a killshot?

It's a big reason people like E8s I guess; they can take a decent beating and actually can chase down fleeing enemies. Doing it with a jackson is way too risky, so many things can go wrong (sneaky shreck squad, mine, Paks, turning a corner and being face to face with the Riger...) and once the Jackson is comitted it has no escape mechanism beyond a slightly above average speed.

Not to say it's a bad unit. But it's very lacking in some areas, and the problem is that the rest of the US arsenal can't really help cover said weaknesses unless you happen to have Rifle Company.
25 Aug 2014, 16:27 PM

Historically the Jackson had better armor than most medium tanks except maybe Panther so Relic please stop this glass-cannon nonsense -.-
25 Aug 2014, 17:08 PM

Historically the Jackson had better armor than most medium tanks except maybe Panther so Relic please stop this glass-cannon nonsense -.-

Yes, Jackson is a MEDIUM tank, so therefore Axis HEAVY tanks are gonna punish it. I have had my Jackson bounce P4 shots so if you want it to bounce Tiger shots then your "realism" buff would be bull.
25 Aug 2014, 18:53 PM

Yes, Jackson is a MEDIUM tank, so therefore Axis HEAVY tanks are gonna punish it. I have had my Jackson bounce P4 shots so if you want it to bounce Tiger shots then your "realism" buff would be bull.

Your comment is probably trolling. Tank destoyer, only one option for usa in late game, can't deal with any heavy tank type. About it deflected pz4 shot, yes it can happend with 130 armor and 100 AP of pz4 canoon at far distance, but it changes nothing. It still have low survivability+ hight cost+ long reload + far too weak penetration in one coctail with previous 3 parts.

And yes historically it wasn't paper armored, low survivability and 0 penetration peace of you know what... And i saying again, Jackson is only one option for usa late game, you can choose only between M36 and E8. No pershing no smth like elephant here.
25 Aug 2014, 19:53 PM

Jackson is a bit too vulnerable to shrecks long range.
25 Aug 2014, 21:12 PM

Jackson is a bit too vulnerable to shrecks long range.

??

every light-medium tank is a bit too vulnerable to shrecks long range, lol
25 Aug 2014, 21:28 PM

1.Buff the M36's armour since it had 110mm armour in tbe front historically.

2.Give it more health (640) but no armour buff.

3.Buff both health and armour but reduce damage to 160.

I choose no1. I'm all for making CoH2 into a balanced yet realistic game. You can have both after all. Which one do you guys want?
25 Aug 2014, 22:09 PM

Volks blob with shrecks and its hard to get your M36 to a safe place with its acceleration and low survivability.
25 Aug 2014, 22:22 PM

2nd time: give the Jackson smoke.
25 Aug 2014, 22:27 PM

Jackson had better armor than PzIV, was heavier (2-3 tons), faster, better gun. In CoH2 Jackson is faster (for 0,3...), has better gun but also has worse armor, less HP.
Give it 200 frontal armor, 640hp and I will be happy. Or leave it as it is but give some ability that increase sight - for some reason it has open turret and it can be use for it, right?
25 Aug 2014, 23:26 PM

Or how about you will learn how to use it correctly since unit is fine as it is right now if not too cheap for what it can deliver.
26 Aug 2014, 01:04 AM

Ok add more health and armor, but reduce damage to 160 and range to 50, then im fine.

Dont use it like a heavy tank, use it like a sniper.
26 Aug 2014, 09:47 AM

Ok add more health and armor, but reduce damage to 160 and range to 50, then im fine.

Dont use it like a heavy tank, use it like a sniper.

Sniper which can't penetrate infantry armor? This is like sniper shots bouncing from conscripts or riflemans 70% times.
26 Aug 2014, 10:21 AM

Its hard to call Jackson a cheap unit for its achievements. Sometimes it one shots tanks other times misses and shot bounces make him vulnerable to rushes that they just can't escape resolving in a lost unit.
26 Aug 2014, 15:46 PM

Strangely the Jackson accelerate like he had a heavier armor...In fact, it was a bit lighter, had more powerful motor compared to the Wolverine and both use the same frame.

So it should have a bit more acceleration and/or smaller size class. Historically, it has more acceleration because it was equip with a gasoline engine but less top speed then a M10.

I could live with the same armor as the Wolverine M10 if it would have the same acceleration of a puma.

Wolverine-M10 : 29600,0 kg motor: 335 hp Diesel
Jackson-M36 : 29027,2 kg motor: 450 hp Gasoline

My 2 cents.
27 Aug 2014, 08:30 AM

Since one of the Jackson major weakness is the map itself, why not increasing the front armor and range of fire so it better survives poor design maps where it is almost impossible to flank.

With that, it starts shooting earlier if it has visibility from a scoot unit and would force Axis players to learn to flank as well if they want to take it out without losing their own tanks :p
27 Aug 2014, 08:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2014, 08:30 AMEsxile
Since one of the Jackson major weakness is the map itself, why not increasing the front armor and range of fire so it better survives poor design maps where it is almost impossible to flank.

With that, it starts shooting earlier if it has visibility from a scoot unit and would force Axis players to learn to flank as well if they want to take it out without losing their own tanks :p

That's the point! Forcing the axis to attack and flank, not just rushing forwards and then get back
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★