Login

russian armor

Hold-fire for ALL vehicles for the love of God

20 Aug 2014, 20:19 PM
Patrion 27

OK so tank destroyers and AT-guns eventually got hold-fire. Very nice. But wait, isn't the Panther a tank destroyer? Why the heck am I forced to fire on infantry with it? Is it because it has a pintle mounted MG?

Every. single. vehicle. deserves hold-fire so they aren't just derp wagons. Please and thank you.
20 Aug 2014, 20:28 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I'm having trouble visualizing a use for this on the kubelwagen.
20 Aug 2014, 20:32 PM

I think the kubelwagen needs a HOLD POSITION button instead :)
20 Aug 2014, 20:40 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2014, 20:32 PMEndeav
I think the kubelwagen needs a HOLD POSITION button instead :)

It has one already, just tell it to Stop (S).
20 Aug 2014, 20:46 PM

I was thinking about an ability to lock the gun at certain angles, but I guess "hold fire" would lock it at 12'?
20 Aug 2014, 21:26 PM

All units should have a button to set the AI in Attack only Infantry, Attack only Vehicles or Attack Both, being the last one the default.
20 Aug 2014, 21:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2014, 20:40 PMRomeo

It has one already, just tell it to Stop (S).

That doesn't stop it from turning to engage a target =(
20 Aug 2014, 21:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2014, 21:26 PMGreeb
All units should have a button to set the AI in Attack only Infantry, Attack only Vehicles or Attack Both, being the last one the default.

This!

I once lost an elefant because, it showed its position by firing at infantry.

PS. Does sniper shoot at enemy vehicles?
20 Aug 2014, 22:05 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

3-stage toggle ability to auto-target infantry/vehicles/all + additional hold fire toggle ability would be nice.

Edit: Could be a new UI feature for all units.
20 Aug 2014, 22:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2014, 21:51 PMmas1er

This!

I once lost an elefant because, it showed its position by firing at infantry.

PS. Does sniper shoot at enemy vehicles?

I don't really know. Back in vCoH they did, but since then I always have my snipers with Hold Fire by default.

The unit that I lose the most by useless shots are ATguns insisting on killing infatry. It's also painful to chase a Stuka into enemy territory with a T34 just to see how it fires at every infantry unit instead of destroying the damned Stuka.
20 Aug 2014, 22:44 PM

Why not just give it to all units in general? People can choose what they want to do then, don't see how it would be a problem.

If not, then at least to all units as well that can stealth and don't have it yet (like Fallschirmjäger).
20 Aug 2014, 23:03 PM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2014, 21:26 PMGreeb

+1 This seems even better than hold-fire but I would like both. I'm greedy.
21 Aug 2014, 01:38 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

These are good ideas and would definitely help so much in key engagements. The amount of times I have had a tank target infantry when I want it to fire on an enemy tank and finish it off is too damn high. Hold fire for all support weapons and vehicles should also be implemented. This would encourage more tactical depth as players could create better ambushes with a range of units instead of a select few.
21 Aug 2014, 05:22 AM

i dont think every unit has space for a hold fire command.

Two things i wish i could do with any unit 1- hold fire, 2- hold position

Just because i target something with the at gun, doesnt mean i want it to pick up and move about just because the target went out of sight.
21 Aug 2014, 06:18 AM

OK so tank destroyers and AT-guns eventually got hold-fire. Very nice. But wait, isn't the Panther a tank destroyer? Why the heck am I forced to fire on infantry with it? Is it because it has a pintle mounted MG?

Every. single. vehicle. deserves hold-fire so they aren't just derp wagons. Please and thank you.

First, Panther is not a tank destroyer. It's a tank, and this thing should be more obvious in the game.
Secondly, I don't think a hold fire button or an "attack infantry" or whatever button will fix the problem. Relic should fix this as nicely as they fixed it in vCoh by making units prioritize targets.

For instance, in your example, if Panther fights with an infantry unit, and a tank enters into range, it should automaticaly fire at the tank

OR

Return fire to the enemy unit that produced the biggest damage while firing its first shot into your Panther.
21 Aug 2014, 06:19 AM

21 Aug 2014, 06:24 AM

All medium and light tanks should have hold fire or, even better, proper targeting priorities. I nearly threw my keyboard across the room last night when I lost a sherman to a damaged P4 because the sherman refused to do anything but swing its turret around in a 360 motion. It wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that, if you lose the enemy tank in the FoW for even a split-second, your tank's targeting resets immediately.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it would be nice if they fixed the issue wherein tanks occasionally decide to drive right up to their targets and then refuse to fire at point-blank range. Even the assault guns do this, and I'm not sure what causes it because it happens when they have a clear line of sight with no FoW obscuring the target.
21 Aug 2014, 08:16 AM

happened to me last day, stupid Stuart firing at Infantry rather than the PUMA. The worst was I was clicking on the puma but he decided that sturmpios were a biggest threat to him.
21 Aug 2014, 08:37 AM

Yes. It's needed.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight