Login

russian armor

Many maxims suggestion

19 Aug 2014, 18:34 PM

The maxim doesn't overperform - if any MG overperforms, it's the MG34.

Nobody i know wins high level 1v1s only because they build plenty of maxims. In teamgames they are able to push at the beginning, but they offer no late game potential. They get decimated by mortar(-halftracks), artillery, vet infantry with upgrades, well placed grenades, and especially vet1 MG34/42s.

they are kind of a problem in team games. germans really cant punish it until a walking stuka comes out and even then good players dont set up in a line and just dodge it when they hear the noise. ive been seeing 3 players in a 3v3 all spam maxims. they may not have a ton of late game, but the early push gives the soviets an advantage, then they can just put them in buildings and put mines everywhere. all this does is drag out the game while soviets stall for isus. the whole game is just camping, its extremely boring and its not hard at all to do.

for people who like the compare maxim/mg42 and isu/elefant, i would love to see a single replay of 3 german players all spamming mg42 and then going straight for elefants.
19 Aug 2014, 18:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Aug 2014, 18:34 PMwooof

they are kind of a problem in team games. germans really cant punish it until a walking stuka comes out and even then good players dont set up in a line and just dodge it when they hear the noise. ive been seeing 3 players in a 3v3 all spam maxims. they may not have a ton of late game, but the early push gives the soviets an advantage, then they can just put them in buildings and put mines everywhere. all this does is drag out the game while soviets stall for isus. the whole game is just camping, its extremely boring and its not hard at all to do.

for people who like the compare maxim/mg42 and isu/elefant, i would love to see a single replay of 3 german players all spamming mg42 and then going straight for elefants.
the German mortar plus mht is really effective at shutting down soviet t2 play and the German sniper can be effective because t2 doesn't offer a counter to them. Not only that lmg grens typically over power maxims heads on. Obers do the same and the isg is really effective aswell as a early stuka.
19 Aug 2014, 19:05 PM

the German mortar plus mht is really effective at shutting down soviet t2 play and the German sniper can be effective because t2 doesn't offer a counter to them. Not only that lmg grens typically over power maxims heads on. Obers do the same and the isg is really effective aswell as a early stuka.

mortar ht is one of my favorite counters, but it still relies on mistakes from the soviet. its best ability is incendiary which now has a fair amount of scatter, so it can frequently just waste 45 munitions. if soviets dont blob, youre spending 45 munitions to possibly force a retreat on one unit.

i have never found lmg grens to overpower maxims. the only chance a gren has is rifle nades against a clumped up maxim. otherwise, an lmg on its own is never going to win vs a maxim head on.

both of these strategies are extremely munitions heavy.

german sniper needs vision, which can only be provided by getting units suppressed. even then, it fires too slow to have much impact beyond a slow mp drain, though youll be losing mp by trying to gain vision. with 3 people spamming maxims, good luck finding a flank to exploit. if a soviet went t1 instead, dont even bother with a sniper.

the last t1 option germans have is to build mgs and mortars and try to out camp the soviets. i find this doesnt work particularly well either. zis barrages and mortar precision strikes can pretty easily displace if not decrew german weapons. thanks to playing heavy t2, soviets have nothing else to spend munitions on other than mines.

german t2 is already countered by zis before your vehicles even show up.
19 Aug 2014, 20:31 PM

Buff penals..give cons a lategame dp ..whatever,don't care..whatever it takes to finish maxim spam forever.

Finally we agree in something.
It would surprise you how many soviet players think alike.

Maxim spam is not fun. Is tiring a requires a lot of micro and repositioning.
Even so, we don't use it because the unit overperforms, as Cannonade says. It is being spammed because every other T1-T2 unit is useless to start the game except snipers.

So all soviet players start with snipers/maxims till they can afford doctrinal units.
The key word here is annoying, not OP.
19 Aug 2014, 20:35 PM

Its being spammed because its overperforming.

Even if every other Sov infantry option was balanced to utter perfection, it would still be maxim spam as it is now. Because it overperforms.
19 Aug 2014, 20:39 PM

Its being spammed because its performing. Period. It scales to late game, and provides a reliable ability to take care of blobs.
19 Aug 2014, 21:08 PM

I play a healthy amount of Germans both ost and okw and I can say for a fact maxims are not op, annoying Yes But not op.
19 Aug 2014, 21:14 PM

11 ost matches :P

Attacking other's playercards constantly while hiding yours.

On topic: this could be a fix, if in return Maxim is given some late-game scaling (more AoE suppression?). Currently the Maxim is an unfun unit that can be spammed by noobs to stall early game, but then falls off into uselessness (contrast to the MG42/34 which are beasts at vet 2 and 3).
19 Aug 2014, 21:22 PM

Attacking other's playercards constantly while hiding yours.

On topic: this could be a fix, if in return Maxim is given some late-game scaling (more AoE suppression?). Currently the Maxim is an unfun unit that can be spammed by noobs to stall early game, but then falls off into uselessness (contrast to the MG42/34 which are beasts at vet 2 and 3).

hmmmm i think one of the reasons why they are useful is that they can scale into late game. Maybe not the best unit but definitely better than conscripts and penals
19 Aug 2014, 22:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Aug 2014, 21:22 PMNinjaWJ

hmmmm i think one of the reasons why they are useful is that they can scale into late game. Maybe not the best unit but definitely better than conscripts and penals

Well, the thing is that maxims really doesn't scale. It's just that they're still quite useful, but I don't think they win big improvements with veterancy unlike MG42/43.
19 Aug 2014, 22:22 PM

In march deployment when Grens were spammed alot is because MG42,Mortar,Sniper were underperforming? No, grens were spammed because they were overperforming. Same as maxim here.

And now, let the hate begin! :snfPeter:
19 Aug 2014, 22:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Aug 2014, 22:20 PMGreeb

Well, the thing is that maxims really doesn't scale. It's just that they're still quite useful, but I don't think they win big improvements with veterancy unlike MG42/43.

maxim and mg42 have identical bonuses. mg34 is also the same up to vet 3.
19 Aug 2014, 22:29 PM

In march deployment when Grens were spammed alot is because MG42,Mortar,Sniper were underperforming? No, grens were spammed because they were overperforming. Same as maxim here.

And now, let the hate begin! :snfPeter:

And exactly, in what overperfoms that wasn't there before the release of WFA factions? Has been maxim buffed in the last months?

Because I believe that maxim/sniper spam started to be very common when WFA was released, just because there's no way to fight OKW infantry with cons or penals. Before that the usual opening was 3-4 conscripts into T1 or T2.
19 Aug 2014, 22:42 PM
Patrion 14

Making the gun ramp up in the first few seconds doesn't just nerf its offensive capability, but also its defensive capability. Unlike the MG42/34 it has a very small cone and the gun completely relies on being able to pack up and set up again quickly. I'm afraid your suggestion would just nerf the unit into the ground.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 73

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight