Login

russian armor

Recon Command

19 Aug 2014, 01:36 AM

:new:

Is it worth buying the recon command? I love the idea of knowing where the enemy is and I love the airborne tree ever since COH1 (I mostly used airborne, because I've always found it to be useful in a lot of situations). Yet, I look online and I see mixed reviews. The problems I see that I don't know if it really is are:
1. Pathfinders aren't that strong and I don't see them as a strong camp unit
2. Pathfinders arty call in requires them to be too close
3. Greyhound canister shot is not that accurate
4. Greyhound seems weak against other armored cars in the same category
5. Recon sweep doesn't last long
6. Combat group seems way too expensive and the weapons too random

Now these are all theoretical problems that I've heard or drew conclusions from what I've imagined.

Questions:
1. FO- is 30% that much? (I really don't know)
2. FO- will the riflemen shoot farther because they can see them farther?
3. The AT I heard was weak
4. Is this tree worth buying?

I've been looking at the Rifle company, because that seems like a great tree! Yet, I see Infantry company as the most viable due to the fact that they can lay mines down AND they get mortars!

I'm not much of a tank person; I will incorporate them into my army, however I'm not crazy about them. Also, what do you guys think of the Jackson?

By the way I don't have much experience with COH 2; I'm only just starting to learn it, but that's why I asked whether I should get Recon, Rifle, or neither.
19 Aug 2014, 02:29 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Rifle company is way better, hands down. If you have to choose between them, get rifle company.

That being said, recon company isn't bad by any means. Pathfinder artillery is one of the best off-maps the US has.
19 Aug 2014, 02:44 AM

I can say nothing about Recon, but I wouldn't buy Rifle only because its op right now, it might get nerfed. But if you like the gameplay it gives go for it^^
19 Aug 2014, 05:57 AM

Pathfinder arty is probably the best off-map cost for cost, and the cannister shot is a blob destroyer. It's a good doctrine. People just misuse it and try to make pathfinders mainline combat units.
19 Aug 2014, 08:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Aug 2014, 02:29 AMRomeo
Rifle company is way better, hands down. If you have to choose between them, get rifle company.

That being said, recon company isn't bad by any means. Pathfinder artillery is one of the best off-maps the US has.

I see yeah I can see the whole command tree being OP.
I can say nothing about Recon, but I wouldn't buy Rifle only because its op right now, it might get nerfed. But if you like the gameplay it gives go for it^^

Pathfinder arty is probably the best off-map cost for cost, and the cannister shot is a blob destroyer. It's a good doctrine. People just misuse it and try to make pathfinders mainline combat units.

Also, how is the tree for certain games? I mean is it best used for 1v1s? Or 2v2?
19 Aug 2014, 10:11 AM

I can't speak for larger games, but I've tried using Recon in 1v1 quite extensively, and in my opinion its just no good. The Greyhound and Pathfinder Artillery are pretty decent, but both have a lot of caveats and overall the Commander just doesn't have very much to offer IMO.

For 2v2, I believe Corp. Shepard posted a 2v2 Recon guide a while ago. That might be the sort of thing you're looking for.
20 Aug 2014, 00:09 AM

I can't speak for larger games, but I've tried using Recon in 1v1 quite extensively, and in my opinion its just no good. The Greyhound and Pathfinder Artillery are pretty decent, but both have a lot of caveats and overall the Commander just doesn't have very much to offer IMO.

For 2v2, I believe Corp. Shepard posted a 2v2 Recon guide a while ago. That might be the sort of thing you're looking for.

It could be, but I've decided Recon isn't worth the time or money to learn. I can now see that the Rifle Company is a better option. Thanks!
20 Aug 2014, 02:20 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Dont Bother with this now; just buy Rifle company.

Normally I'd try to justify using this commander over the others..

But

SINCE Its not rare anymore(you can just buy it. HINT: do NOT buy it),no ones gonna go "Oh wow look at those IR pathfinders!!! They can call arty!!! wow!" or
"WOW Greyhound made it to Coh2!"
So the WOW COOL side of the commander is meh.

Then,the abilities are useful,sure,just like any commander.
But the abilities arent powerful enough to make this an attractive choice commander wise.

The Rifle spotting ability is meh. Not much else i can say.

recon sweep...meh. Its not that great of a sweep and the original ost/sov recon sweeps are better.

the pathfinders are the saving grace of this doc..but again...they arent that great against someone who pays attention

Greyhound is USELESS now. Since the OKW has plenty of muni for shreks(Before you could possibly catch someone with there pants down for not having enough muni for shreks. not anymore)
Against OST its nothing special as it comes too late,and fausts. lol.

The canister shot does not punish anything but a Pioneer blob. Its wayyyy to expensive and should probably be made to where you can target an area not a squad.

The Offmap group..Just get airborne if you want paras. Comes WAY too late and wayyy to expensive.

This is a great doctrine to stomp noobs when you have both muni points or something. But otherwise...I wouldnt even bother with this one..especially over the others.
21 Aug 2014, 05:30 AM

Dont Bother with this now; just buy Rifle company.

Normally I'd try to justify using this commander over the others..

But

SINCE Its not rare anymore(you can just buy it. HINT: do NOT buy it),no ones gonna go "Oh wow look at those IR pathfinders!!! They can call arty!!! wow!" or
"WOW Greyhound made it to Coh2!"
So the WOW COOL side of the commander is meh.

Then,the abilities are useful,sure,just like any commander.
But the abilities arent powerful enough to make this an attractive choice commander wise.

The Rifle spotting ability is meh. Not much else i can say.

recon sweep...meh. Its not that great of a sweep and the original ost/sov recon sweeps are better.

the pathfinders are the saving grace of this doc..but again...they arent that great against someone who pays attention

Greyhound is USELESS now. Since the OKW has plenty of muni for shreks(Before you could possibly catch someone with there pants down for not having enough muni for shreks. not anymore)
Against OST its nothing special as it comes too late,and fausts. lol.

The canister shot does not punish anything but a Pioneer blob. Its wayyyy to expensive and should probably be made to where you can target an area not a squad.

The Offmap group..Just get airborne if you want paras. Comes WAY too late and wayyy to expensive.

This is a great doctrine to stomp noobs when you have both muni points or something. But otherwise...I wouldnt even bother with this one..especially over the others.

Agreed I find this doctrine to be extremely redundant.

What do you guys think they could do to improve this doctrine?

I think that they can:
1. FO- they can have a binoculars ability (sort of like Men of War when an officer uses his binoculars to reveal a certain radius)
2. IR- go invisible at will
3. IR- moved up to 4 guys (1 with grease gun the rest with carbines)
4. IR- set up the triangle radio (like what the Brit's had in CoH 1)
5. Greyhound- the skirts upgrade already there (then another vet giving them sand bags for even more armor)
6. Greyhound- lay down mines
7. Greyhound- phosphorous
8. Recon Sweep- the discovered parts stay longer
9. Recon Sweep- OR they do runs for about 8 seconds
10. CG- 2 paras, 2 echelons,1 57mm AT gun, and 1 mortar (costing about 500 MP and 80 ammu)

This is only theoretical. What do you guys think?
21 Aug 2014, 09:52 AM

I'm still wondering why Rifle Forward Obs are CP1...
M8 is way too much redundant with the utility car and canister shot not that powerful for its price
Para call - random and don't bring anything better than you can get from regular troops.

Is Pathfinder offmap arty better than the mechanized commander one?
23 Aug 2014, 12:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Aug 2014, 09:52 AMEsxile
I'm still wondering why Rifle Forward Obs are CP1...
M8 is way too much redundant with the utility car and canister shot not that powerful for its price
Para call - random and don't bring anything better than you can get from regular troops.

Is Pathfinder offmap arty better than the mechanized commander one?

Agreed, if they're going to make a command called "Recon" actually make it strong at what it's suppose to do. Not some kind of different version of the airborne command.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 49
Russian Federation 35

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment