Login

russian armor

Suggestions for World Builder Tutorials?

18 Aug 2014, 17:26 PM

We have a rather solid selection of tutorials available already, but if there is any further input from the community, as to what specifically should be addressed in detail, please feel free to make a request. Just remember, some items may be covered in community tips, or tips of the week, but don't be afraid to ask, if it is already covered, I will be happy to point you in the right direction.
18 Aug 2014, 18:13 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

How do you make buildings with uneven door entrances work? WFA added models of these houses but I don't know how to make use of them. Even the one in relics own trois pont doesnt work:
Vid (sorry for the long loading, had some streams still open)

- Fixed youtube link parser, now also understands youtu.be\videoID format - Janne252

ok the youtube tag doesnt work?
18 Aug 2014, 18:19 PM
Developer Relic Badge

So far as I'm aware, you cannot get these to open. As buildings go, a unit should not actually have to touch a door for it to "simulate" them entering it. You can have all forms of impass around and within a building, and so long as they reach the vicinity of a doorway, they will enter it.

However, at present, those particular models don't have their second-floor doors actually recognised as doors.

They're better used for ruins!
18 Aug 2014, 18:21 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

well that is disappointing.
Thanks for the answer
18 Aug 2014, 18:22 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Keep your eyes peeled! There may yet be a fix!
18 Aug 2014, 18:31 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

On the broken house note: Windmill_01 is currently indestructable, it wont go below 1% hp which is a shame because its a really cool model.
28 Sep 2014, 02:36 AM

I know it's an old thread but I rather make use of this than to make new unnecessary ones!

What I'd like to see is a a guide on how to make a map start-to-finish. Not in detail of course, but in what order you should do stuff. Obviously there is no right and wrong way, but I'm sure you veterans out there have learned a lot on how to approach the actual mapping.

I already mentioned that in my own thread earlier. Other than that I'd really need some sort of gathered information about the changes to the WB since WFA. I just have vague memories of people mentioning changes to splines/splats/tiles optimization, making tiles "better" than before. Making your own command territory seems to have changed as well?

Trying out my new map I've encountered several strange problems. USF base spawning with a lieutenant.. Starting without enough fuel to start building T1 as Ostheer, and other stuff like that.

Not sure what else has changed since WFA but I'm sure it's quite a lot. So having that information easily available in the same thread would be super useful. The current "map making index" is a bit out-dated I'm afraid.
29 Sep 2014, 04:00 AM
Donator 22

Mapping "Build Order".

I think as a newbie map maker, a tutorial that discusses the map "build order" (assuming there is one) would be super helpful. In other words, I know how to make a map that is saveable, how to use the spline tool, splats, etc...but past those basic tutorials...I don't know how the "pro" map makers proceed. Do they put buildings up first? Do they do elevation? Do they focus on specific map sections first? Those sorts of decisions and why they make them.

Smaller things I personally need direction on:

-How to change water color.
-How to use the elevation tool.
-How to make ruts and tracks show up on the roads.
-More detailed explanation of how changing "color" and "opacity" works and makes a difference.
-How to make/save stamps.

One last comment. Whomever does these tutorials....be as specific as possible and SLOW when describing things. Also...do it several times so that we get the idea of whatever you're explaining repeated.

I like to say....Act like you're explaining it to a 3 year old. :D
29 Sep 2014, 07:51 AM
Developer Relic Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2014, 04:00 AMMortar
Mapping "Build Order".

I think as a newbie map maker, a tutorial that discusses the map "build order" (assuming there is one) would be super helpful. In other words, I know how to make a map that is saveable, how to use the spline tool, splats, etc...but past those basic tutorials...I don't know how the "pro" map makers proceed. Do they put buildings up first? Do they do elevation? Do they focus on specific map sections first? Those sorts of decisions and why they make them.

Smaller things I personally need direction on:

-How to change water color.
-How to use the elevation tool.
-How to make ruts and tracks show up on the roads.
-More detailed explanation of how changing "color" and "opacity" works and makes a difference.
-How to make/save stamps.

One last comment. Whomever does these tutorials....be as specific as possible and SLOW when describing things. Also...do it several times so that we get the idea of whatever you're explaining repeated.

I like to say....Act like you're explaining it to a 3 year old. :D

Well what do you know? I have a free day today to record. I'll jump on that straight away!
29 Sep 2014, 08:05 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Updated youtube video link javascript parser to understand youtu.be\VideoId format. Also updated Sarantini's post with the correctly formatted youtube tag.
29 Sep 2014, 16:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2014, 04:00 AMMortar
Mapping "Build Order".

Exactly what I have been looking for as well! Guess I couldn't explain it as well as you did. ;j
29 Sep 2014, 17:31 PM

A quick go on the Elevation Tool.

You have 4 commands for the elevation tool
Addition - Raises elevation based on brush and feather size, by the speed of % strength.
Subtraction - Lowers elevation based on brush and feather size, by the speed of % strength.
Smoothing - Averages the difference between non equal elevations, by the speed of % strength.
Set Level - Sets the elevation to the level indicated in the elevation value field, based on bush and feathers size.

With the elevations tool selected, you can select the different commands using the shortcuts 1-4 for the left mouse button, and 5-8 for the right mouse button.

For finite control, set brush to 1, and feather to 0, toggle the wire frame on, and place the brush over the wire frame line intersections, to adjust one point at a time.

Use spline deformations (then bake), for more efficient ditch's, ramps (stairs), cliffs, rivers, creeks, and raised roads...ect.

This is just a quick go on the elevation tool. If bacon doesn't fry up some good grease videos, I'll be sure to get one done, but it will be a couple of weeks. Real life got me busy. :)
23 Dec 2014, 09:57 AM

We have a rather solid selection of tutorials available already, but if there is any further input from the community, as to what specifically should be addressed in detail, please feel free to make a request. Just remember, some items may be covered in community tips, or tips of the week, but don't be afraid to ask, if it is already covered, I will be happy to point you in the right direction.
23 Dec 2014, 10:03 AM

I have a tip. I am not sure if anybody else does this but one of the first things I do when creating a map is make a construction area. I put it somewhere in a part of the map that I will develop last. I make it flat and large enough to hold a variety of templates and objects, such as trenches, walls, fence sections, and complicated features. I also fill it with a variety of objects, and make a texture palet. This way I don't have to go through the menu searching for stuff I use commonly. Big time saver. I am not interested, but someone might make a nice video of what I mean if they like
23 Dec 2014, 12:35 PM

23 Dec 2014, 18:51 PM

If somebody could explain exactly how one should build a SCAR document, that would be excellent. I find bits evrywhere, but there is absolutely noone who explains whats going on. It's always just a "oh just paste this stuff somewhere" thing.

I know if you are a programmer, that such answers are perfectly acceptable. However, for us "normal" folk, shit looks like Japanese.
24 Dec 2014, 07:30 AM

If somebody could explain exactly how one should build a SCAR document, that would be excellent. I find bits evrywhere, but there is absolutely noone who explains whats going on. It's always just a "oh just paste this stuff somewhere" thing.

I know if you are a programmer, that such answers are perfectly acceptable. However, for us "normal" folk, shit looks like Japanese.

If I may, which part exactly is troubling you. Is it the actual creation of the file or what's in it and how to edit it?
24 Dec 2014, 10:52 AM

If I may, which part exactly is troubling you. Is it the actual creation of the file or what's in it and how to edit it?

I know where to locate it, and how to copy and paste stuff in it. However, I have no idea what is going on in here and what my options are. Are there any rules to making a file or the layout? How do you set up your wordpad for it etc. Is there any specific order to write code or doesn't that matter?
26 Dec 2014, 00:40 AM

I know where to locate it, and how to copy and paste stuff in it. However, I have no idea what is going on in here and what my options are. Are there any rules to making a file or the layout? How do you set up your wordpad for it etc. Is there any specific order to write code or doesn't that matter?

A simple tutorial wouldn't fit your description, it would take quite an endeavor to cover everything. But here are some basics...

1. I use Notepad to edit SCAR documents. I highly recommend Notepad ++ for beginners.
2. Any SCAR scripting goes in the file YOURMAPNAME.SCAR
3. DO NOT EDIT - YOURMAPNAME_ID.SCAR It will be replaced every time the map is saved.
4. "--" means the line is commented out, and not read by the game. Anything following this is notes for the programmer.

5. Many of the scripting tutorials, custom pop cap, resources...ect, are written as standalone.
You must identify how to interweave them together. Below is how I combined the custom pop cap, and made the map winter with blizzards, fires...ect.

Default Blank - No code
The Term "function" begins a routine, the term "end" stops that routine. You may have subroutine's inside of routines. They define variables using statements, or wait for conditions to be met before executing a statement. The tutorials will highlight which lines need to be edited. Just read what is written, and feel free to ask specific questions.

Code
function OnInitID()

end

Custom Pop Cap
The Term "For" begins a subroutine, and the first "end" stops that subroutine, within the Oninit Routine, and the second "End" stops the script.

Code

function OnInitID()
--Population cap override value
g_popCapOverRide = 200

for i = 1, World_GetPlayerCount() do
local player = World_GetPlayerAt(i)
Player_SetPopCapOverride(player, g_popCapOverRide)
end

-- [[ Markers ]]

-- [[ Squad Groups ]]

-- [[ Entity Groups ]]

end

Blizzard on Custom Map
Code

import("ScarUtil.scar")
import("Systems/BlizzardMulitplayer.scar")
function OnInit()
MP_BlizzardInit(
"data:art/scenarios/presets/atmosphere/_mp_2p_kholodnaya_ferma_blizzard.aps", -- Blizzard atmosphere
"data:art/scenarios/presets/atmosphere/_mp_2p_Kholodnaya_Ferma.aps", --Default atmosphere
true, -- Start in Blizzard
nil, -- Blizzard Data
true, -- Use Speech
"data:art/scenarios/presets/atmosphere/_mp_2p_kholodnaya_ferma_transition_out.aps" --Blizzard out transition atmosphere
)

end
Scar_AddInit(OnInit)

Combined

Function OnInit() starts the scar script, once initialized, it begins what is defined in the function. The Import's prior to the OnInit define other scar scripts, which in the case, are for the blizzard system. One is a utility, the other is specifics for the blizzard process. The last "END" stops the script. I add in the custom pop cap just before that, in order to make sure it is included in the fall through execution, but not interrupting the blizzard definitions.

Code

import("ScarUtil.scar")
import("Systems/BlizzardMulitplayer.scar")
function OnInit()
MP_BlizzardInit(
"data:art/scenarios/presets/atmosphere/_mp_2p_kholodnaya_ferma_blizzard.aps", -- Blizzard atmosphere
"data:art/scenarios/presets/atmosphere/_mp_2p_Kholodnaya_Ferma.aps", --Default atmosphere
true, -- Start in Blizzard
nil, -- Blizzard Data
true, -- Use Speech
"data:art/scenarios/presets/atmosphere/_mp_2p_kholodnaya_ferma_transition_out.aps" --Blizzard out transition atmosphere
)
--Population cap override value
g_popCapOverRide = 200

for i = 1, World_GetPlayerCount() do
local player = World_GetPlayerAt(i)
Player_SetPopCapOverride(player, g_popCapOverRide)
end
end
Scar_AddInit(OnInit)

It is probably a bit vague, and possibly confusing for you, just keep reading, and keep asking questions.
28 Dec 2014, 06:23 AM

To summarize, so I don't quote the whole thing.

A simple tutorial wouldn't fit your description, it would take quite an endeavor to cover everything. But here are some basics...

...It is probably a bit vague, and possibly confusing for you, just keep reading, and keep asking questions.

IMHO I've found whenever someone new to scripting and coding endeavors to add their own customizations to a map they often make the fatal mistake of trying to integrate everything before they get each part working individually. Beginners are better off getting each part of the code to work separately before they move to integrate them together. The main problem I have found with people asking questions is each individual tries to do things in a different order making it hard to help them.

Might I suggest someone puts together a list of all the SCAR tutorials for people to browse. (correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is one). Including a basic tutorial on SCAR layout such as the one written towards the beginning of Srinidhalaya's post. This may result in most of the coding questions simply becoming about integration after they have already learned how to get each individual parts to work on their own.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★